The best topic

Replies: 10487
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 01:28:03 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

What's Cooking?

Started by @realAzhyaAryola, February 22, 2015, 11:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 12 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "realgrimm"
On the barbeque realgrimm?

I wish but my BBQ rusted out end of last , so I still have to hunt down another

We don't make burgers very often, but if we do it's always on the barbeque..

My husband says it's the only way to cook burgers.

Not trying to start a ruckus, and a LOT of guys (including probably Blazor) might agree with him.  Around here it's kind of a Man Card thing, the Neanderthal melding of greasy red meat and open flame....and I'll eat that kind of food (TYVM) but I almost never cook beef that way.  I can cook great burgers indoors just fine with no open flame which when it's a humid 90F outside is more to my liking.  

Zucchini is officially now in season here, people are giving it away, and there are a few ways I like it.  Watching the oven now for the year's first zuke pie (which is more of a quiche actually.)   :eating-smileys-emoticons43:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peaches"

Not trying to start a ruckus, and a LOT of guys (including probably Blazor) might agree with him.  Around here it's kind of a Man Card thing, the Neanderthal melding of greasy red meat and open flame....and I'll eat that kind of food (TYVM) but I almost never cook beef that way.  I can cook great burgers indoors just fine with no open flame which when it's a humid 90F outside is more to my liking.  

Zucchini is officially now in season here, people are giving it away, and there are a few ways I like it.  Watching the oven now for the year's first zuke pie (which is more of a quiche actually.)   :eating-smileys-emoticons43:

Neaderthal??

Burgers done on the bbq are less greasy than in a pan on the stove. Than again, I'm Korean and loving bbq is in my genes.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"

Neaderthal??

Burgers done on the bbq are less greasy than in a pan on the stove. Than again, I'm Korean and loving bbq is in my genes.

I'm under-educated about Korean bbq (so feel free to educate me) but I've long thought some of the Chinese approaches to bbq'ing pork ribs are sublime, and I've borrowed some of those ideas in my own grilling, especially the bbq sauces.  I will risk the flame and smoke for the sake of pork ribs and shoulders, just not for beef.

Although there is probably medical support for my position, the cooking of burgers indoors or outdoors is fraught with philosophical considerations too.  And I disagree with your quick dismissal of "in a pan on the stove."  The pan needs to be a cast iron skillet at a very hot temp, the beef needs to be leaner (maybe 80/20) and it needs to be smashed thinner and flash fried so it doesn't have a chance to soak up its own drippings.  

Because liquefied grease is part of the flavor package with burgers, I often find that people who grill them will overcook them at lower temps and render out too much of the fat.  We're talking shoe leather here.  And another problem with grilling burgers is that the grease burns in the fire which causes flareups and charring.  

Finally, I used the Neanderthal word to describe people who really don't understand cooking except to take some red meat and kill it with fire while consuming firewater.  Not really cooking, IOW.

Anonymous

I'm under-educated about Korean bbq (so feel free to educate me) but I've long thought some of the Chinese approaches to bbq'ing pork ribs are sublime, and I've borrowed some of those ideas in my own grilling, especially the bbq sauces.  I will risk the flame and smoke for the sake of pork ribs and shoulders, just not for beef.

Although there is probably medical support for my position, the cooking of burgers indoors or outdoors is fraught with philosophical considerations too.  And I disagree with your quick dismissal of "in a pan on the stove."  The pan needs to be a cast iron skillet at a very hot temp, the beef needs to be leaner (maybe 80/20) and it needs to be smashed thinner and flash fried so it doesn't have a chance to soak up its own drippings.  

Because liquefied grease is part of the flavor package with burgers, I often find that people who grill them will overcook them at lower temps and render out too much of the fat.  We're talking shoe leather here.  And another problem with grilling burgers is that the grease burns in the fire which causes flareups and charring.  

Finally, I used the Neanderthal word to describe people who really don't understand cooking except to take some red meat and kill it with fire while consuming firewater.  Not really cooking, IOW.

Greasy meat :yuk:

I was raised on low and slow flames for meat. Galbi wouldn't be galbi without it.

I am no expert on Chinese char siu, but my understanding is that it's similar to Korean bbq in that it's all in the marinate. And what they call bbq doesn't involve any flame at all. They cook it in an oven.

Anonymous

I am no expert on Chinese char siu, but my understanding is that it's similar to Korean bbq in that it's all in the marinate. And what they call bbq doesn't involve any flame at all. They cook it in an oven.

My local friend who cooks and is Chinese American says this is so with char siu, which he loves.  But there is another Chinese family here who ran a very successful "American" style bbq joint for decades had no apparent trouble adapting Memphis style bbq to their approach, which I swear was obscenely good.  And they said there were schools of bbq cooking in China which they were basically following.

About the char siu, yes...oven cooked ribs wrapped in foil.  The marinade I favor is soy sauce, Damson plum jelly, apricot preserves, garlic and ginger with maybe a bit of rice wine.

Anonymous

My local friend who cooks and is Chinese American says this is so with char siu, which he loves.  But there is another Chinese family here who ran a very successful "American" style bbq joint for decades had no apparent trouble adapting Memphis style bbq to their approach, which I swear was obscenely good. And they said there were schools of bbq cooking in China which they were basically following.

About the char siu, yes...oven cooked ribs wrapped in foil.  The marinade I favor is soy sauce, Damson plum jelly, apricot preserves, garlic and ginger with maybe a bit of rice wine.

I believe that.

Hey, you live in the Chicago area right? There's a large Korean diaspora in metro Chicago. Give your palate a treat and try out one of the many Korean bbq places. Meat cut with scissors cooked over a low and slow flame right at your table. After that, rate your whole dining experience here.

Anonymous

My local friend who cooks and is Chinese American says this is so with char siu, which he loves.  But there is another Chinese family here who ran a very successful "American" style bbq joint for decades had no apparent trouble adapting Memphis style bbq to their approach, which I swear was obscenely good. And they said there were schools of bbq cooking in China which they were basically following.

I believe that.

Hey, you live in the Chicago area right? There's a large Korean diaspora in metro Chicago. Give your palate a treat and try out one of the many Korean bbq places. Meat cut with scissors cooked over a low and slow flame right at your table. After that, rate your whole dining experience here.

I promise to do that, next time I get up there....it's nearly 600 km from here, and I only get up that way maybe once a year.  

But 20 years ago, Samsung had a program where they were sending groups of middle managers to the US to do market research and study ESL...they were doing the ESL here at a local college in a six week immersion and paying hosts to home-host these men.  We hosted two of them over the space of a year or two, and there was a local restaurant here at the time that was Japanese cuisine but operated by a Korean so there was a Korean section to the menu (no bbq though.)  Koreans like to work hard and party hard, in my estimation, and I learned a little bit about both of those cuisines during that time.

Anonymous

I believe that.

I promise to do that, next time I get up there....it's nearly 600 km from here, and I only get up that way maybe once a year.  

But 20 years ago, Samsung had a program where they were sending groups of middle managers to the US to do market research and study ESL...they were doing the ESL here at a local college in a six week immersion and paying hosts to home-host these men.  We hosted two of them over the space of a year or two, and there was a local restaurant here at the time that was Japanese cuisine but operated by a Korean so there was a Korean section to the menu (no bbq though.)  Koreans like to work hard and party hard, in my estimation, and I learned a little bit about both of those cuisines during that time.

I thought you and Wazzzup lived in metro Chicago. Ya, 600 km is a long way to go even for galbi and Jinro soju. :laugh3:

Anonymous

I'm making chicken pasta primavera tonight.

Blazor

Of course, I would grill everything if I could lol. I honestly like a grilled burger vs a fried one. I like some of the char taste (grill marks), but not burnt, and I like it a lil pink inside still. I HATE overcooked burgers, so I feel ya there. I also prefer to grill the burgers to burn off some of the grease, my IBS hates grease these days  :sad:

I love zucchini, especially grilled lol.

Finally, I used the Neanderthal word to describe people who really don't understand cooking except to take some red meat and kill it with fire while consuming firewater.  

Nothing wrong with consuming firewater while grilling, its a tradition of mine  :laugh:   ac_drinks
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Blazor

Prolly grilled salmon, or grilled Cajun shrimp. Depends on what I have to do Sunday I guess.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blazor"Prolly grilled salmon, or grilled Cajun shrimp. Depends on what I have to do Sunday I guess.

Why does it depend on what you do Sunday Blazor?

Blazor

Quote from: "Blazor"Prolly grilled salmon, or grilled Cajun shrimp. Depends on what I have to do Sunday I guess.

Well, shrimp is my favorite, and Sunday is Father's day, would like to grill some shrimp that day. But I will prolly have to go with my gf to her dads. I might visit my dad's resting spot Saturday at some point. My dad loved some shrimp too lol, he ate the hell out of it before he passed.

Speaking of dads, my son sent me a text saying he might be moving back in. Told him there would be some rule changes and $100 a month rent  :laugh:

kiebers

Quote from: "Blazor"

Well, shrimp is my favorite, and Sunday is Father's day, would like to grill some shrimp that day. But I will prolly have to go with my gf to her dads. I might visit my dad's resting spot Saturday at some point. My dad loved some shrimp too lol, he ate the hell out of it before he passed.

Speaking of dads, my son sent me a text saying he might be moving back in. Told him there would be some rule changes and $100 a month rent  :laugh:

Had S&M last weekend for our 34th anniversary. I had blackened Mahi Mahi with shrimp sauce, on top of shrimp fried rice. She had grilled shrimp and scallops over the same rice. Had some fried green tomatoes topped with crab, mozzarella, and parmesan as an appetizer. Best thing about the fried green tomatoes is they were actually fresh and not frozen. We have a couple of higher end places around here that use frozen breaded tomatoes.

Good luck with the son and you should make it $200 a month. Been there doing that and got the t-shirts...LOL
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blazor"

I forgot, you have an adult son Blazor.

ac_blush