The best topic

Replies: 10395
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

Dear Friends

Started by Bricktop, May 10, 2015, 07:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 6 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Romero

Quote from: "asal"
Quote from: "SPECTRE"Then add this one to the very few occasions. I'm sorry...I believe you enjoy running simultaneously with the fox whilst hunting with the hounds.

It's a forum.  Yes, I'm doing that.  In real life I'm part of a martial arts group - I've never taken classes at a different group - it's important to the politics of this type of martial art that we're loyal.  On the internet I post at memebee and have posted here.  It's not duplicitous, it's chatting with two (2) different groups of posters.  I never voted in the who's the worst mother poll or did anything mean.  I never made mean references to anyone that posts here or on memebee, spectre.

I don't know what SPECTRE's problem is. It's great having you here, asal!

reel

I think there's little value in having a sub-forum.  This is not a fast paced forum, so there's really no need to categorize.  Sub-categorizing is unlikely to draw new posters and I don't see the rationale that it will increase posting amongst the existing posters; I expect the opposite.  Sub-forums decrease usability by reducing the visibility of topics.  It requires another click to see the topics in the sub-forums, an effort that many won't take on a regular basis.

reel

I also agree that the attack on Asal is totally unwarranted and that generally speaking, Asal is a delightful creature with a sparkle in her eye and a wit to match, who rarely speaks negatively of anyone.  I would note that the effort to instill an us vs. them politic is likely to be far more damaging than having her around.

cc

Quote from: "SPECTRE"Then add this one to the very few occasions. I'm sorry...I believe you enjoy running simultaneously with the fox whilst hunting with the hounds.
Much as I luv ya Leo, this seems way out of line.

Asal does not play sides. She is also not the only one who posts in both forums .. certainly I do despite some animosities toward me in the "other" place .. maybe that is partly why I like to do it?  ac_smile

From where I sit you are also a great poster  ... all regulars here sure are too ... and I do not see why we cannot just post away without getting negatively personal

What say you?

Enjoy!!

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PupL7lndkzk

What say you now? ... NO? Not yet?  Try this

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4_R5e2V3aI
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "reel"I think there's little value in having a sub-forum.  This is not a fast paced forum, so there's really no need to categorize.  Sub-categorizing is unlikely to draw new posters and I don't see the rationale that it will increase posting amongst the existing posters; I expect the opposite.  Sub-forums decrease usability by reducing the visibility of topics.  It requires another click to see the topics in the sub-forums, an effort that many won't take on a regular basis.

Hello reel, thank you for your sound advice..

I want to get rid of guest posting..

It has turned into a place where a couple of immature posters from Vancouver Forum post insults.

reel

ac_huh I don't visit guest posting, but I can't see people wanting to join here based on a guest posting area either.  No value.  You want to get rid of it, do it.

I can't really see there being a mass of new posters coming, but if the goal is to increase numbers, the discussion should be about what draws people in.  Sub-categorization is unlikely to do that.  My belief is that forums attract posters much like celestial bodies attract mass.  A strong, cohesive central mass exerts a gravitational attraction that draws them in.  In the case of a forum, this has little to do with structure.  It has to do with a sense of community.  Even a few posters if they possess some charisma and an open attitude can draw in new comers, who are looking for a welcoming community.

You obviously get this Fash, whether consciously or not.  You are trying to build a sense of community and respond kindly to a new person or rare poster every time.  Some of the others don't seem to get it.

There are some charismatic individuals here. The best route is to encourage them to do what they do.

Anonymous

Quote from: "reel"I don't visit guest posting, but I can't see people wanting to join here based on a guest posting area either.  No value.  You want to get rid of it, do it.

I can't really see there being a mass of new posters coming, but if the goal is to increase numbers, the discussion should be about what draws people in.  Sub-categorization is unlikely to do that.  My belief is that forums attract posters much like celestial bodies attract mass.  A strong, cohesive central mass exerts a gravitational attraction that draws them in.  In the case of a forum, this has little to do with structure.  It has to do with a sense of community.  Even a few posters if they possess some charisma and an open attitude can draw in new comers, who are looking for a welcoming community.

You obviously get this Fash, whether consciously or not.  You respond kindly to a new person or rare poster every time.  Some of the others don't seem to get it.

I used to like my little guest posting area..

It was light hearted and the tone was friendly..

Recently it it being used only by people who want to start flame wars..

That is disappointing.

asal

I like the pizza thread in guest posting.  I saw it yesterday :)

RW

Reel, I think it's worth a shot to try out categories IMHO.  Nothing to lose frankly and easy to revert back if need be.  This place has always had a spirit of experimentation - why stop now?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Romero

Who's going to move the threads that SPECTRE doesn't want to see into this new sub-forum?

RW

I'll happily do it, ya fucking smart ass.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "asal"I like the pizza thread in guest posting.  I saw it yesterday :)

The guest poster who posted that was OK.

Romero

Quote from: "RW"I'll happily do it, ya fucking smart ass.

No, you happily won't.

RW

Quote from: "Romero"No, you happily won't.

If no other admin or mod wants to, I'll happily step up.  You on the other hand can sit your ax grinding ass down.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Romero

Nobody deserves having their threads removed from the main page just because he doesn't want to see them.