Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

A

A strange young man

Started by Anonymous, June 08, 2015, 11:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

An coworker told me something about her older sister's son this weekend that I found very strange and sad..

She told me that her nephew is 21 years old, does not go to university or have a job and spends almost every hour in self confinement in his bedroom..

He has never had a part time job, does not have a driver's license, no friends, has no ambition to do anything and has spent the three years since he graduated high school doing nothing..

He will not even come out of his bedroom to help his parents around the house..

My coworker told me he was an honor student in high school and her sister had high hopes for her son..

Has anyone ever known of anyone like this?

It seems so very sad.

Renee

Sounds like depression and a pretty severe case at that.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Annie

Has he been shy or liked being alone his whole life? Or is this something new or progressed? Could a life event thrown him for a loop? If the parents can talk to him and at least find out if anything is bothering him, that's a start.
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"Sounds like depression and a pretty severe case at that.

It does seem severe Renee..

An addiction to video games too.

Annie

Could he be addicted to gaming? Is there help for people with that type of addiction? I doubt there is though.
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "Annie"Has he been shy or liked being alone his whole life? Or is this something new or progressed? Could a life event thrown him for a loop? If the parents can talk to him and at least find out if anything is bothering him, that's a start.

Our son, when he was 15 had a breakdown (I had just told the family about my brain tumor, 3 months after my Dad passed away from brain cancer)  He became secluded and mopey. For the next couple years he seemed shy and alone, wouldn't go to school, wouldn't get another job (he quit his paper route)  It was a long difficult few years but we never gave up or got angry with him. He was in a depressive funk and was stuck. We got him all sorts of counselling that did help a bit but I think what worked the best was family communication.

I took him out every Sunday just he and I and we went to KFC for lunch to have a Mom and Son Day. It made a huge difference. We talked about everything. After just a couple times he opened up and broke down crying, he was just so scared. He told me he was scared to lose us and that he had been bullied at school. We got him into another high school and got his grade 12 only 1 year later than he should have.

He's now 23, has 2 jobs, living on his own with his GF and planning more secondary education courses.

What she has told me is that her nephew, who is an only child by the way, has been very spoiled..

He did not become withdrawn and lose interest in everything until he was in high school.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Annie"Could he be addicted to gaming? Is there help for people with that type of addiction? I doubt there is though.

There is help for people addicted to gaming.

http://www.techaddiction.ca/video-game-addiction.html">http://www.techaddiction.ca/video-game-addiction.html

Annie

There really is? That's awesome, I didn't know that.  Maybe he would be willing to seek help.

Odinson

They arent willing to do anything..

Had to drag some of these mamas boys even to shower in the army..

Cant believe these people are too scared to change their gear to clean ones every once in a while.

Annie

Odinson

Quote from: "Annie"You know nothing Odi.

Doesnt she say more like "nuthing"..

You know nuthing Jon Snow.

Annie

You know nothing John Snow..nope it's "nothing"

Odinson

Quote from: "Annie"You know nothing John Snow..nope it's "nothing"

She pronounces it funnily..

I have had trouble understanding a british person...

I just started copying their accent and in time begun to understand it.

Annie

It's a scottish accent  ac_smile  that's why

Odinson

Quote from: "Annie"It's a scottish accent  ac_smile  that's why

Good morrrning to you lassie..

Thats scottish accent.