Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

U.S. Same Sex Marriage

Started by RW, June 26, 2015, 07:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RW

The U.S. Supreme Court legalizes same sex across the U.S.

About time!!!!
Beware of Gaslighters!

Annie

I just read that online, that's good news  :smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Frood

Quote from: "GrAnnie"I just read that online, that's good news  :smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

Why shouldn't gay or lesbian lovers not escape the suffering of State sanctioned marriage? I say spread the misery around.

(because a contract isn't a contract these days unless the Government condones and benefits from it)
Blahhhhhh...

keeper

Love is Love  :howdy:

Just for the record, I love feisty Brunets ac_dance

Renee

First let me say that I personally could not care less if two gay people what to fuck up their lives with a contractual marriage. It's their business, they are allowed to be stupid if they so want.

But this supreme court ruling is wrong. It is wrong on a consitutional and legal level. They have interpreted something in the US Constitution that doesn't exist. It just another ruling in a long line of federal laws that impinges upon a state's right to govern itself. The federal government has no business involving itself in telling the state's how or what the definition of marriage should be. And being that it is built on dubious constitutional grounds and it is a clear infringement of state's rights, it is unenforceable.

Furthermore I believe at least two of the justices in the past have presided over same sex marriages. I fear that they allowed personal bias to influence their decisions. On ethics alone, they should have stepped out and excused themselves from the deliberation.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

RW

So you're saying there is nothing in your constitution that covers discriminatory practises?

Our Charter is pretty clear in terms of discrimination and the state's ability to enforce such laws.  It says they can't.  If people in your country (as a whole) do not have the right to be free from state discrimination (as seen in not allowing gay marriage) WTF is the point of a constitution at all?

For the record, state governance as seen in the U.S. is fucked. Many laws governed by states should be fedeal laws like marriage.

Oh and welcome to the 21st century.  

PS - Please tell your brain dead hick countrymen that "moving to Canada" to get away from same sex marriage isn't going to work.  We've allowed gay marriage for over a decade now.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Romero

Quote from: "Renee"First let me say that I personally could not care less if two gay people what to fuck up their lives with a contractual marriage. It's their business, they are allowed to be stupid if they so want.

But this supreme court ruling is wrong. It is wrong on a consitutional and legal level. They have interpreted something in the US Constitution that doesn't exist. It just another ruling in a long line of federal laws that impinges upon a state's right to govern itself. The federal government has no business involving itself in telling the state's how or what the definition of marriage should be. And being that it is built on dubious constitutional grounds and it is a clear infringement of state's rights, it is unenforceable.

Furthermore I believe at least two of the justices in the past have presided over same sex marriages. I fear that they allowed personal bias to influence their decisions. On ethics alone, they should have stepped out and excused themselves from the deliberation.

You couldn't care less but it's wrong? That's not hypocritical at all. Are you for marriage equality or not?  

People said the same kind of things about interracial marriage, which the US Supreme Court ruled fully legal in 1967. Should states still have the right to ban interracial marriage?

Don't worry. You will not be effected by this ruling in any way. Nothing bad's going to happen and God isn't going to punish the nation. Gays are supposed to have equal rights just like anyone else. Welcome to the 21st century, America!

Renee

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "Renee"First let me say that I personally could not care less if two gay people what to fuck up their lives with a contractual marriage. It's their business, they are allowed to be stupid if they so want.

You couldn't care less but it's wrong? That's not hypocritical at all. Are you for marriage equality or not?  

People said the same kind of things about interracial marriage, which the US Supreme Court ruled fully legal in 1967. Should states still have the right to ban interracial marriage?

Don't worry. You will not be effected by this ruling in any way. Nothing bad's going to happen and God isn't going to punish the nation. Gays are supposed to have equal rights just like anyone else. Welcome to the 21st century, America!

Can you read or not? I said I don't care if gay people marry. My issue is with a ruling that has no basis in the constitution, you ignoramus.

I fully expected you to crawl out of the wood work because you really don't know what you are talking about. BUT like always, you can't keep your ignorant prog mouth shut even when it means making a fool out of yourself. Loving v. The State of Virginia was about racial discrimination and was based on the provisions in the 14th Amend. So it had a constitutional leg to stand on while this issue does not. Show me anything or anywhere in the US Constitution regarding the definition of marriage and where it says the federal government has the right to determine the meaning and then force it onto the states.

Once again you are comparing apples to oranges. People like you are always trying to equate discrimination against gays with racial discrimination and IMHO that is insulting to African Americans. It's clownish that people like you actually think that this issue was even worthy of bringing before the SCOTUS. But you are right it's not going to effect me or anyone for that matter, because this ruling is unenforceable.

You may think this is a victory but it will still battled in the individual state courts because the ruling lacks constitutionality. So deal with it.

BTW, this will be the one and only time I respond to you on this issue because you have no clue what you are talking about and there is not enough time in five lifetimes to deal with your circle jerk debate tactics.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Renee

Quote from: "RW"So you're saying there is nothing in your constitution that covers discriminatory practises?

Our Charter is pretty clear in terms of discrimination and the state's ability to enforce such laws.  It says they can't.  If people in your country (as a whole) do not have the right to be free from state discrimination (as seen in not allowing gay marriage) WTF is the point of a constitution at all?

For the record, state governance as seen in the U.S. is fucked. Many laws governed by states should be fedeal laws like marriage.

Oh and welcome to the 21st century.  

PS - Please tell your brain dead hick countrymen that "moving to Canada" to get away from same sex marriage isn't going to work.  We've allowed gay marriage for over a decade now.

There are plenty of anti-discrimination provisions in the constitution that deal with what are known as inalienable rights and they apply to everyone.  They are citizenship rights based on due process and equal protection under the law. Citizenship rights having nothing to with marriage in anyway shape or form. The Constitution purposely leaves issues like this to the individual states. This ruling was based on agenda and partisan politics and nothing more.

BTW, tell your nitwit, prog, poutine eating, multicutural hacks to mind your fucking business. You snowbound clowns are way to preoccupied with the social goings on in the US. It's not our problem if living in Canada is about as stimulating as watching paint dry. Get your own set of social issues to wrestle with like what color plaid shirt to wear on what day. Since you are all so perfect up there, I'm sure piddling problems like that will fill you time nicely.

RW

When your backwater ignorant bigots want to move here to avoid gay marriage, it becomes my business.

I'm sorry Renee but it's SHOCKING how behind the times the U.S. is in terms of sexual laws.  That's why we comment.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "RW"When your backwater ignorant bigots want to move here to avoid gay marriage, it becomes my business.

I'm sorry Renee but it's SHOCKING how behind the times the U.S. is in terms of sexual laws.  That's why we comment.

I don't give a fuck what you think or any of your Canadian brethren think.

I've been thinking about pulling out of this forum for a while now, I have no patience for this anymore. So I think this clinches it.

I'm sick and tired how you people north of the border look down your noses at us. I've lived closed enough to the Canadian border and for enough years to know that you people are no gems in terms of smarts as well. So I have no idea where you come off with your shit. I don't suppose you have ever noticed that all the scumbags, nutjobs, whiners and morons on Van were and are all Canadian, SMP, Mel, Soon, Munday, evs, etc. Now they're a bunch to be proud of. :laugh:

Enjoy and good luck, I'm out of here.

@realAzhyaAryola

Conservatives resist gay marriage ruling; Texas defiant

Conservatives responded forcefully to the Supreme Court decision legalizing gay marriage, but nowhere more so than in Texas, which openly defied the ruling.

"No Texan is required by the Supreme Court's decision to act contrary to his or her religious beliefs regarding marriage," said Texas Republican Gov. Greg Abbott.

Resistance to the ruling was deep-felt across the conservative spectrum and in many of the 14 states, including Texas, Mississippi and Louisiana, which have had laws forbidding same sex marriage. To opponents of gay marriage, religious liberty trumps the Supreme Court.

"No court can overturn natural law. Nature and Nature's God, hailed by the signers of our Declaration of Independence as the very source of law, cannot be usurped by the edict of a court, even the United States Supreme Court," said Frank Perkins, president of the Family Research Council.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/conservatives-resist-gay-marriage-ruling-texas-defiant/ar-AAcccqw?ocid=HPCDHP">http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/con ... cid=HPCDHP">http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/conservatives-resist-gay-marriage-ruling-texas-defiant/ar-AAcccqw?ocid=HPCDHP

Renee, I'm so sorry. I hope you won't leave us. ac_unsure
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

@realAzhyaAryola

Quote from: "RW"When your backwater ignorant bigots want to move here to avoid gay marriage, it becomes my business.

You won't need to worry about that at all, RW. I am not aware of a lot of Americans who would want to move up north, not that I think that is right or wrong. I've been to Canada and it's beautiful. I like to live in some parts of Canada. It's just that Americans usually don't want to move up there. In Canada, your news include news in the States. In the US, sadly, they don't mention any Canadian news except when it is breaking news. This is puzzling to me. I work with many Americans who don't know that you have many parts and that you go by provinces, not states. An American woman I happen to know was not entirely sure which part of Canada Toronto is in.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

RW

Quote from: "Renee"

I don't give a fuck what you think or any of your Canadian brethren think.

I've been thinking about pulling out of this forum for a while now, I have no patience for this anymore. So I think this clinches it.

I'm sick and tired how you people north of the border look down your noses at us. I've lived closed enough to the Canadian border and for enough years to know that you people are no gems in terms of smarts as well. So I have no idea where you come off with your shit. I don't suppose you have ever noticed that all the scumbags, nutjobs, whiners and morons on Van were and are all Canadian, SMP, Mel, Soon, Munday, evs, etc. Now they're a bunch to be proud of. :laugh:

Enjoy and good luck, I'm out of here.

What a fucking gross bitch out Renee.  I never pegged you for such a pussy for having fucked up state laws called out.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"

You won't need to worry about that at all, RW. I am not aware of a lot of Americans who would want to move up north, not that I think that is right or wrong. I've been to Canada and it's beautiful. I like to live in some parts of Canada. It's just that Americans usually don't want to move up there. In Canada, your news include news in the States. In the US, sadly, they don't mention any Canadian news except when it is breaking news. This is puzzling to me. I work with many Americans who don't know that you have many parts and that you go by provinces, not states. An American woman I happen to know was not entirely sure which part of Canada Toronto is in.

Yeah Az, we are well aware of how ignorant some Americans are of other countries including ours.  No number of fits thrown by your "smarter" crowd is going to change that.
Beware of Gaslighters!