The best topic

Replies: 10412
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:42:32 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Aryan

Minimum Wage $15hr....Meet Your Replacement

Started by Anonymous, August 19, 2015, 04:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

RW

There is but it means a pay cut to profit loving shareholders in a lot cases.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wulf"Like it or not, it's they way it's going to go. It's more convenient for the customer and more cost effective for the business owner. Paying someone $15 or even $10 an hour to do what the customer can do for his or her self is rapidly become obsolete.

Maybe, maybe not, we will have to see. Some jobs cannot be done by automation. Cleaning hotel rooms for example. But, I agree automation will replace some low skilled jobs. Whether that is a good thing or not is open to interpretation.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "cc la femme"lol @ the hypocrisy ^

Low wages is  really a sad scenario no matter how one slices it .. with no solution

Low wages keep the poor poor, but when a law takes it up 2 things happen to make things even worse for them

1. Owners of certain type of businesses where wages are low often cannot survive = Automation

and / or

2. Owners of certain type of businesses where wages are low often cannot survive = let some workers go and push the remainder harder to compensate

I don't have the answer, I just hate the reality

Automation creates a whole different set of jobs that are a hell of a lot more expensive than minimum wage ones.

One technician replacing 10 minimum wage workers per store and looking after the automation of fifteen stores is more expensive? You must base that on some fuzzy math.

Anonymous

I worked as a waitress in a Chinese restaurant for five years..

On some nights I made more money than the owners..

And I did not have rent, food, and utilities to pay.

RW

Quote from: "seoulbro"

Low wages is  really a sad scenario no matter how one slices it .. with no solution

Low wages keep the poor poor, but when a law takes it up 2 things happen to make things even worse for them

1. Owners of certain type of businesses where wages are low often cannot survive = Automation

and / or

2. Owners of certain type of businesses where wages are low often cannot survive = let some workers go and push the remainder harder to compensate

Automation creates a whole different set of jobs that are a hell of a lot more expensive than minimum wage ones.

One technician replacing 10 minimum wage workers per store and looking after the automation of fifteen stores is more expensive? You must base that on some fuzzy math.

I said those jobs will pay more than minimum wage.  I'm not wrong on that.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"

and / or

I said those jobs will pay more than minimum wage.  I'm not wrong on that.

No, you are not wrong. They require a certain amount of technical skill. I would guess technicians would be paid $30 an hour or so. It's a big saving for franchisees if they can reduce overall staffing. I have read it is becoming more common in Europe.

RW

And when no one can afford a burger, they'll whine.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Frood

One day there won't be manned fast food restaurants. There will be one person who drives in a refrigerated truck into the back, commences an automated docking procedure full of electronically controlled bun, patty, and condiment magazines into their appropriate positions along mechanized tracks, then carts away the spent magazines to a contractor who puts them through an industrial pressure dishwasher and returns them to the distribution center for refilling.

Fast food restaurants will have become very large vending machines with warming and cooling capabilities, touch screens at the front counter and drive thru. The will employ 2 people for each shift and those people will have to be accredited in computer software, pneumatics, mechanization, plumbing and electrical. (1 would be enough, but 2 covers for absences and workplace health and safety, because governments love rules and spending other peoples money to enforce them).

Nobody ever waits for a burger or fries, no food is ever uneatable, and nobody has the money to visit such establishments because there are no jobs available and most people are on a welfare pittance of what they once worked for.

The ingredients are still crap and those sugar and salt mining companies are operating on only handfuls of people.
Blahhhhhh...

RW

Sometimes what saves money ends up being very expensive in the end.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"And when no one can afford a burger, they'll whine.

Don't raise minimum wage and you'll get your cheap burger.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"One day there won't be manned fast food restaurants. There will be one person who drives in a refrigerated truck into the back, commences an automated docking procedure full of electronically controlled bun, patty, and condiment magazines into their appropriate positions along mechanized tracks, then carts away the spent magazines to a contractor who puts them through an industrial pressure dishwasher and returns them to the distribution center for refilling.

Fast food restaurants will have become very large vending machines with warming and cooling capabilities, touch screens at the front counter and drive thru. The will employ 2 people for each shift and those people will have to be accredited in computer software, pneumatics, mechanization, plumbing and electrical. (1 would be enough, but 2 covers for absences and workplace health and safety, because governments love rules and spending other peoples money to enforce them).

Nobody ever waits for a burger or fries, no food is ever uneatable, and nobody has the money to visit such establishments because there are no jobs available and most people are on a welfare pittance of what they once worked for.

The ingredients are still crap and those sugar and salt mining companies are operating on only handfuls of people.

That will be the consequence of governments attempt to bankrupt small biz owners by forcing them to pay unskilled kids more than they are worth. I don't have a problem with technology replacing useless teenagers. It keeps consumer prices down, it protects small biz owners. Machines don't have EI or CPP contributions.  The only losers will be Filipinos. Can you pour a double double, welcome to Tim Horton's in Canada.

RW

Quote from: "Shen Li"

Minimum wage is reactionary.  What part of that don't you understand?
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"One day there won't be manned fast food restaurants. There will be one person who drives in a refrigerated truck into the back, commences an automated docking procedure full of electronically controlled bun, patty, and condiment magazines into their appropriate positions along mechanized tracks, then carts away the spent magazines to a contractor who puts them through an industrial pressure dishwasher and returns them to the distribution center for refilling.

That will be the consequence of governments attempt to bankrupt small biz owners by forcing them to pay unskilled kids more than they are worth. I don't have a problem with technology replacing useless teenagers. It keeps consumer prices down, it protects small biz owners. Machines don't have EI or CPP contributions.  The only losers will be Filipinos. Can you pour a double double, welcome to Tim Horton's in Canada.

Tim Hortons isn't a small business.  Neither is McDonalds or Wendy's or The Gap or Sobeys or all the other places teenagers generally work.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Tim Hortons isn't a small business.  Neither is McDonalds or Wendy's or The Gap or Sobeys or all the other places teenagers generally work.

The franchisees are not usually Bill Gates types. They work long hours for the money to recover their investment.

Anonymous

Minimum wage is reactionary.  What part of that don't you understand?

Well thank you very much FDR. Go ahead and raise minimum wage and there will be more technology replacing the kids at Mickey D's. End of story.