Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

A

Creepy stuff that happens on the hospice floor

Started by Anonymous, September 16, 2015, 11:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

I've still never used the hotline.  But I have a very solid network of support of all kinds.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dove"I've still never used the hotline.  But I have a very solid network of support of all kinds.

Well that's good. It's hard enough doing that job let alone all on your own.

Anonymous

There was only once I was about to lose my shit entirely and I had to take a breather. I have one lady who is a handful.  She has no idea what is going on, ever, she's in her own world....but she's complete mobile. She can get up and move quickly.  She breaks right through her ativan. She climbs on chairs. One night after putting her to bed three times....I went in to check on her, and found her on the floor of her shower, completely dressed, water running and the entire floor and carpet outside the bathroom flooded.....10 minutes before my shift was over.  I turned and got my coworker because it had been a stressful night and I was about to lose my shit. Then, I couldn't get a hold of her son, and she had to be sent out to the hospital...it was crazy making. Sometimes it's really hectic and frustrating but you always have to keep in mind, they can't help it. They are like toddlers on acid.

Anonymous

asal

asal

Quote from: "Dove"There was only once I was about to lose my shit entirely and I had to take a breather. I have one lady who is a handful.  She has no idea what is going on, ever, she's in her own world....but she's complete mobile. She can get up and move quickly.  She breaks right through her ativan. She climbs on chairs. One night after putting her to bed three times....I went in to check on her, and found her on the floor of her shower, completely dressed, water running and the entire floor and carpet outside the bathroom flooded.....10 minutes before my shift was over.  I turned and got my coworker because it had been a stressful night and I was about to lose my shit. Then, I couldn't get a hold of her son, and she had to be sent out to the hospital...it was crazy making. Sometimes it's really hectic and frustrating but you always have to keep in mind, they can't help it. They are like toddlers on acid.

^ It's good there is a professional environment.  These situations are tough on relatives.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dove"http://i57.tinypic.com/2wbriae.jpg"> lol

:ohmy:

Annie

I had an idea of what it takes to care for dementia patients but never realized how stressful it could actually be. My Grandma had dementia, I tried taking care of her but after a couple weeks I had to put her in a home. She would not wipe after pooping properly but would have it all over her hands and then all over everything. She couldn't help it and had no idea what was wrong. She would also try to leave the house in the middle of the night. I had to put her in a retirement home. I can only imagine what she was like in the home after a couple years. She also had meds for diabetes etc and would fight against taking them.  You have my utmost respect for what you do, Dove.
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Anonymous

It really is better to put dementia patients in assisted living.  Like I said.....they are like toddlers on acid.  They WILL do things like walk into traffic in the middle of the night, drown in bathtubs and start housefires. It's not safe to keep them home....and it's a 24/7 job looking after them. Most of the time we'll meaning family members try taking it on without realizing how intense it actually is. They end up stressed and overwhelmed and depressed about the changes their loved one is going through.  We know all their tricks and most of the common behaviors and the sundowning. We have no issue throwing them in the shower when they keep refusing, getting meds into them whether they like it or not (crushed up in chocolate syrup) and we keep them from painting the walls with feces and microwaving their underwear. Lol. They also can't get off the floor without a special code. The whole place is designed for their safety and comfort. We alsi help family members adjust and learn how to connwct with thier loved one. People always think "we can't put grandma in a home!"  But really....it's safer. Just make sure it's a good one with trained professionals.

Annie

The home my Grandma was in had the stairs security sectioned off and the elevator was a security code. They had personnel at the front desk so they could see anyone coming or going and they had to be checked out by a family member if they wanted to leave. We picked her up often and took her home for dinner, she really like that. She still kind of knew who I was. Sometimes she thought I was my mother and she always forgot who her grand kids were or who my hubby was. She had no idea where she was when we took her to our place for a visit. But I know she had a good time and once in awhile a memory would pop into her head and we'd have a very short conversation. I hated seeing her go that way. She half raised me and taught me so many things like ironing (she bought me my first ironing board and iron, which I still have) She also taught me how to bake and do dishes. I think of her all the time.
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Anonymous

Yep. My floor has that too. It's called elopement precautions lol.

keeper

Quote from: "Dove"Thank you guys. Awww.  The thing is, if the company isn't invested in our emotional/mental well being, bad things can and do happen.  Sometimes people get so wore down they wind up abusive and negligent towards residents.  Let's say my favorite dies on my shift....I have to be coherent and professional. I can't make mistakes in the paper work.  And I have to be immediately able to continue caring for the other residents as if nothing happened. I can't be all annoyed or put out if ms. Donna gets explosive shits right after Mr Jim passes away and Ms Ruth is wandering into other people's room without her pants on. See what I'm saying?  And I make decent money.....but it has to be about more then a check....or it wouldn't seem enough.

Dove, I could not do what you do i have such a hard time with death it being a friend, loved one or someone that i dont even know well.

Like Renee said, you have my respect.

Anonymous