News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10395
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

What's wrong with the newer generations?

Started by shin, March 22, 2016, 02:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"
Quote from: "Mr Crowley"The only thing wrong with the latest generation is that I am not in it.

Do you want to be forever young?  ac_biggrin

I would like to have an old wise mind and a young healthy body.

Bricktop

I wanted to have a young healthy body too.

But she told me to get lost.

Twenty Dollars

Quote from: "RW"Then you should have died at 22.

A dollar to a dime, I'll out live you.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "shin"
Quote from: "Mr Crowley"The only thing wrong with the latest generation is that I am not in it.

Do you want to be forever young?  ac_biggrin

I would like to have an old wise mind and a young healthy body.

I have heard some wild health suggestions, but none advocated copious amounts of bowel wash.

RW

Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"

I have MS asshole.  Of course you will.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"I wanted to have a young healthy body too.

But she told me to get lost.

I did not!

Haha
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"

I have MS asshole.  Of course you will.

ac_crying

Bricktop

Quote from: "RW"Oh yeah.

You made me sick!

ac_dunno

Mona

There's a multitude of differences in today's childhoods in comparison to those of 30 or even 20 years ago.

Today's kids have very little concept of patience, everything in society is geared towards immediate gratification, from drive through food and coffee, to cable television, add in to that, the internet, which while being a tool, that has capacity to improve their lifestyle and connect them to people around the world and broaden their horizon of experience, it also removes a lot of the innocence of childhood, is also a tool to bully and attack, and a way for disconnecting with the people who are physically in their life.

24 hour children's television turned the tv into a babysitter, and the internet is an extension of that, so parents were able to "occupy" their children so as to not require the energy from them to engage them... then when it comes to the teen years, the disconnection sets in and they have no thread to pull their children back from the abyss. Children are informed on rights, and use these rights to avoid being guided or disciplined by parents, who are pandering to their children for fear of being threatened with child services, or their child hating them.

When did it become the aim of a parent to be their child's friend? You can be supportive and listen to your children without having to sacrifice the parental upper hand. There's so many different and creative ways to discipline kids, it's not just about belting them. But the majority of parents wait until their kid is in their teens and then try to lay down the law... if you don't have a respectful relationship with your child before they hit double digits, you can forget having any control in their teens.

Each generation tries to correct what they felt their parents did wrong by them... there was possibly far too many beatings and not enough discussion as to why in previous generations, but the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction, and children are ruling households, and parents are scrambling to please obnoxious offspring, who expect everything they want, the moment they want it.

The only way to raise children that aren't like that, is to have boundaries for them, and adhere to it. Have consequences for behaviours, and enforce them. Your kids may hate your for five minutes, or five days, but they will get over it, and when they're grown they will thank you for shaping them into functioning, and contributing adults.

Another factor is the increase in single parent families. When it's through divorce there's the real issue of parents undermining the authority of each other and bribing children to choose them. And when it's through the loss of a parent, the other parent is often faced with balancing soothing the grief against discipline. Children learn very quickly to play on parental emotional weaknesses, and divided parenting, means the child is in control.

And this generation often doesn't have the family and/or community support of previous generations. How many people know their neighbours and every person in their street or surrounding streets, these days. As a kid, no matter where I wandered with my friends, I was known to the adults around, who would not hesitate to report my bad behaviour to my parents, or correct my behaviour themselves. And there would be consequences when my parents found out.

Twenty Dollars

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mona"There's a multitude of differences in today's childhoods in comparison to those of 30 or even 20 years ago.

Today's kids have very little concept of patience, everything in society is geared towards immediate gratification, from drive through food and coffee, to cable television, add in to that, the internet, which while being a tool, that has capacity to improve their lifestyle and connect them to people around the world and broaden their horizon of experience, it also removes a lot of the innocence of childhood, is also a tool to bully and attack, and a way for disconnecting with the people who are physically in their life.

24 hour children's television turned the tv into a babysitter, and the internet is an extension of that, so parents were able to "occupy" their children so as to not require the energy from them to engage them... then when it comes to the teen years, the disconnection sets in and they have no thread to pull their children back from the abyss. Children are informed on rights, and use these rights to avoid being guided or disciplined by parents, who are pandering to their children for fear of being threatened with child services, or their child hating them.

When did it become the aim of a parent to be their child's friend? You can be supportive and listen to your children without having to sacrifice the parental upper hand. There's so many different and creative ways to discipline kids, it's not just about belting them. But the majority of parents wait until their kid is in their teens and then try to lay down the law... if you don't have a respectful relationship with your child before they hit double digits, you can forget having any control in their teens.

Each generation tries to correct what they felt their parents did wrong by them... there was possibly far too many beatings and not enough discussion as to why in previous generations, but the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction, and children are ruling households, and parents are scrambling to please obnoxious offspring, who expect everything they want, the moment they want it.

The only way to raise children that aren't like that, is to have boundaries for them, and adhere to it. Have consequences for behaviours, and enforce them. Your kids may hate your for five minutes, or five days, but they will get over it, and when they're grown they will thank you for shaping them into functioning, and contributing adults.

Another factor is the increase in single parent families. When it's through divorce there's the real issue of parents undermining the authority of each other and bribing children to choose them. And when it's through the loss of a parent, the other parent is often faced with balancing soothing the grief against discipline. Children learn very quickly to play on parental emotional weaknesses, and divided parenting, means the child is in control.

And this generation often doesn't have the family and/or community support of previous generations. How many people know their neighbours and every person in their street or surrounding streets, these days. As a kid, no matter where I wandered with my friends, I was known to the adults around, who would not hesitate to report my bad behaviour to my parents, or correct my behaviour themselves. And there would be consequences when my parents found out.

Hello Mona, very good post and I put in bold the points that I strongly agree with you on..

I had three children, but I lost one..

My husband and I determined before my oldest daughter was born that we were not going to lose our children to negative influences..

We took different parenting approaches, but with a daughter who will soon be fifteen it appears to be working..

Thanks again Mona, I think you covered most bases with this post.

:smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

RW

I often wonder if there isn't a nostalgic part of us that doesn't want the world to change so we put a level of distaste and dissatisfaction on newer generations.  Just like we did, they are forging a new world.  Let them have it.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

I love how you young people ruminate over the past...when you haven't lived in it yet.