Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

NRA Tells Parents To Keep Guns In Kids’ Rooms

Started by Romero, May 31, 2016, 03:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RW

Quote from: "smell the glove"What you think is the law, and what really is the law, are two quite separate things...

And this is why I mentioned the loaded pistol under the mattress case...  I still cannot find it, but the Judge had ruled that (essentially) firearms storage laws were created not for the safety of the owner of the gun, but for all others that may come into contact with his improperly stored gun.  This being guests, children, etc.!

Now, since this guy could show that he was single, essentially a recluse with no visitors, the reason the storage laws are in place in the first place, didn't apply to him.  Case dismissed.

This is how case law works...  What you see in the Criminal Code of Canada is basically a loose interpretation of what should happen...  Case law is different, and that's what actually happens...

I pasted the firearms act, not the CCC.  It is illegal to store loaded weapons in your home.  That hasn't changed.
Beware of Gaslighters!

smell the glove

Quote from: "Fashionista"But the police could still charge you if they were in your apartment and saw your guns loaded?

Yes...  A loaded gun in a place where you cannot legally shoot could very well lead to a charge.  As stated though, being charged, and being convicted in the courts, are two different things.

Now, the only way around this, I suppose, was if you truly believed you (or your family) were at risk of grievous bodily harm or death.  In this case, self defense would trump these laws...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"But the police could still charge you if they were in your apartment and saw your guns loaded?

Most loaded weapons are often illegal or stolen and are found in raids on the houses of known gangsters.

RW

Quote from: "smell the glove"

Yes...  A loaded gun in a place where you cannot legally shoot could very well lead to a charge.  As stated though, being charged, and being convicted in the courts, are two different things.

Now, the only way around this, I suppose, was if you truly believed you (or your family) were at risk of grievous bodily harm or death.  In this case, self defense would trump these laws...

WRONG.

Now there is case law on that.
Beware of Gaslighters!

smell the glove

I'm not wrong, RW.

Every case is different.

And yes, in Canada you can use a firearm to defend yourself, should you believe you are at risk of grievous bodily harm or death.  In fact, you can use anything to defend yourself.

Bona-fide self defense measures will trump any other laws.  And THAT has been proven in the courts of law.

Anonymous

Quote from: "smell the glove"

An intruder came into your home or death threats?

smell the glove

Quote from: "Fashionista"An intruder came into your home or death threats?

Yes.  Under Canadian Law, and Case Law also, you could use whatever you have at hand, to protect yourself, and your family, from grievous bodily harm or death...

I have studied this section for hours upon hours, over many years...

smell the glove

Here in Canada, we don't quite have the same "property" rights, as do our neighbors to the South...

We cannot defend our "property"...

What we can do, however, is defend our "dwelling home," with as much force as is necessary...