News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10554
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 11:33:35 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Aylana

Now I know why I am permabanned from DV...

Started by smell the glove, June 02, 2016, 02:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renee

Quote from: "RW"We all remember DV.  It was the forum before we were all crazy.

I'm not crazy.

All you people are though.   :laugh3:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

RW

I was trying to feel less alone in being nuts.  Thanks a lot Renee.  Now I feel like shit.

haha
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "RW"I was trying to feel less alone in being nuts.  Thanks a lot Renee.  Now I feel like shit.

haha

If it's any consolation; crazy people usually don't know that they are crazy.

To the truly nutty, the sane are the crazy people. In an insane world, the sane must appear insane to survive..... I remember that from an old rerun of Star Trek.

So since you realize that you are nuts maybe you aren't nuts. Maybe you're actually sane. Maybe I'm the one that's nuts? Confused?.....I am.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

smell the glove

Quote from: "Fashionista"I know you mean VF, but do you think of VF and DV being the same?

I never saw DV, but I have heard a lot about it.

There was actually two "true" DV's.  The 'original' of sorts, was owned by a guy named Mike Schwartz.  This was a Snitz board, with no provision for registration.  This was the best of the best, especially right before Mike sold it, since towards the end the owner kind of didn't care that much about it, and pretty much almost anything went...  It was fast paced, often crude, and since nobody could register a handle, that was even more entertaining at times!

However, the good times can never last...  Mikey had some pretty big time advertisers on the site, like the Government of Nova Scotia.  It was only a matter of time before the content on the board clashed with some of these advertisers.  Posters like Nathan Chang quite often pushed the limits, but it was fun while it lasted, that's for sure!

Then DV was sold to a guy named Vin.  He had updated forum software (proboards, I think?  Forget now...), but managed to cross much of the old DV data over to the new board.  Registration now was implemented.  Vin was a guy, though, that could never stop fucking around with the forum.  Simple is exactly why Snitz DV worked so well, but Vin (and a few others that kept sticking their noses into business) just couldn't seem to grasp this concept.  It did work, though, just not as good as the 'original,' IMHO.  Others preferred it though.

And then that went kaput.  I don't know quite all the details, since I had stepped down as Mod by then, but something happened to the database.  It was lost.  And I mean all of it...  The old, the new, it was all lost for some reason.  That pretty much put the last nails in the coffin, when that happened, and the board disappeared altogether shortly thereafter, if I recall...

Blurt

Aimin\' to misbehave.

Renee

Quote from: "smell the glove"
Quote from: "Fashionista"I know you mean VF, but do you think of VF and DV being the same?

There was actually two "true" DV's.  The 'original' of sorts, was owned by a guy named Mike Schwartz.  This was a Snitz board, with no provision for registration.  This was the best of the best, especially right before Mike sold it, since towards the end the owner kind of didn't care that much about it, and pretty much almost anything went...  It was fast paced, often crude, and since nobody could register a handle, that was even more entertaining at times!

However, the good times can never last...  Mikey had some pretty big time advertisers on the site, like the Government of Nova Scotia.  It was only a matter of time before the content on the board clashed with some of these advertisers.  Posters like Nathan Chang quite often pushed the limits, but it was fun while it lasted, that's for sure!..

Was that place just a crude message board? As you say no registration was required and you could use whatever handle you felt like. Because if it's the same one I'm thinking of, that was the board I first stumbled across when I moved out to Washington state.

As you say it was fast paced and pretty raucous at times.

RW

However, the good times can never last...  Mikey had some pretty big time advertisers on the site, like the Government of Nova Scotia.  It was only a matter of time before the content on the board clashed with some of these advertisers.  Posters like Nathan Chang quite often pushed the limits, but it was fun while it lasted, that's for sure!

Then DV was sold to a guy named Vin.  He had updated forum software (proboards, I think?  Forget now...), but managed to cross much of the old DV data over to the new board.  Registration now was implemented.  Vin was a guy, though, that could never stop fucking around with the forum.  Simple is exactly why Snitz DV worked so well, but Vin (and a few others that kept sticking their noses into business) just couldn't seem to grasp this concept.  It did work, though, just not as good as the 'original,' IMHO.  Others preferred it though.

And then that went kaput.  I don't know quite all the details, since I had stepped down as Mod by then, but something happened to the database.  It was lost.  And I mean all of it...  The old, the new, it was all lost for some reason.  That pretty much put the last nails in the coffin, when that happened, and the board disappeared altogether shortly thereafter, if I recall...

I was there before reg and after reg.  I remember when Vin put in the non-reg board as well, alongside the reg board.

The data was lost but brought back for one more round. I'd love to port that DB and go for round 3 :)
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Renee"

However, the good times can never last...  Mikey had some pretty big time advertisers on the site, like the Government of Nova Scotia.  It was only a matter of time before the content on the board clashed with some of these advertisers.  Posters like Nathan Chang quite often pushed the limits, but it was fun while it lasted, that's for sure!..

Was that place just a crude message board? As you say no registration was required and you could use whatever handle you felt like. Because if it's the same one I'm thinking of, that was the board I first stumbled across when I moved out to Washington state.

I remember you on that board haha
Beware of Gaslighters!

smell the glove

Quote from: "Blurt"You were never a mod, Mel.

I was, in fact!  Why would I make something like this up?

smell the glove

Quote from: "Renee"Was that place just a crude message board? As you say no registration was required and you could use whatever handle you felt like. Because if it's the same one I'm thinking of, that was the board I first stumbled across when I moved out to Washington state.

Yup, original Snitz board was as crude as they came, even for back then!  Yup, you just entered whatever name into the field, and the post would appear with that handle...

Renee

Quote from: "RW"

Have we really been crossing paths that long?

OMG....I gotta get the hell out of here. ac_toofunny

smell the glove

This is exactly how the original Snitz (Mikey Schwartz) DV looked like...

http://i66.tinypic.com/2u7lfmv.png">

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "RW"

Have we really been crossing paths that long?

OMG....I gotta get the hell out of here. ac_toofunny

I'm coming with you!  hahahaha
Beware of Gaslighters!

smell the glove

Quote from: "RW"The data was lost but brought back for one more round. I'd love to port that DB and go for round 3 :)

There were many years of 'good' content, and it all seemed to disappear along with Vinny!   :confused1:  ac_dunno  :confused1:  ac_dunno

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Is Alticus a dick sucking fairy? (answer is opposite of no):
Is the "D" in Django silent? Yes or No? (must be lower case):
911 was an attack on what city (spell out lower case two words):
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview