Replies: 10400
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:37:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

Scientology

Started by RW, December 09, 2016, 10:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RW

Actress Leah Remini has a new show out about Scientology that tells the stories of those who have made it out of that "religion" that is very much like a cult.  This week's episode was about Mike Rinder, a former high ranking Scientologist.  

Rinder discusses some of his experiences this week including repeated beatings by church leader David Miscavige during his time in the organization. Rinder also reflects on his life after breaking from the church, including the time he discovered his garbage man was being paid by a private investigator to steal his trash. On another occasion, he discovered a hidden camera in his neighbor's birdhouse that was being used to watch him.  They have turned his family against him, work at destroying his relationships, spread lies about him around his neighbourhood, have attacked him in parking lots at doctor's offices, affected his job, and slandered him relentlessly. They call it "fair game".

The biggest disclosure from Rinder himself was him admitting that his time with the church found him spearheading the very same kinds of "fair game" operations that now plague him and his family. Part of his job was to discredit and destroy critics who spoke out against the church - people whom the church declared as "enemies" by digging up dirt on their personal life, and vilifying them in any way they could.

Mike talks about being part of a religion that is involved in every aspect of your life.  You work in the church or are employed by church businesses, your children are raised in and by the church, you you punished by the church if you ask questions including this thing called segregation that they nickname "The Hole".

I always knew Scientology was weird but I had no idea they were so much like a cult.  This show has been shocking to watch.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

There are a few other doco-movies that explore this dangerous and insidious cult.

What stands out is how they seem to harass, monitor and torment their apostates with NO response from the Government.

If they behaved that way in OZ, Europe or any other civilised country they would be shut down in a heartbeat.

It is a criminal organisation that is allowed its excesses by what seems to be a compliant government.

A good look at this bunch of clowns is Louis Therouxs latest movie. Those poor scientologists (non capitalised by intent) did not know what they were dealing with when they came up against Louis.

Anonymous

I remember seeing a protest in front of a scientology office..

I wonder why what seems like a lot of Hollywood celebrities are scientologists?

ac_umm

RW

Quote from: "Oberon"There are a few other doco-movies that explore this dangerous and insidious cult.

What stands out is how they seem to harass, monitor and torment their apostates with NO response from the Government.

If they behaved that way in OZ, Europe or any other civilised country they would be shut down in a heartbeat.

It is a criminal organisation that is allowed its excesses by what seems to be a compliant government.

A good look at this bunch of clowns is Louis Therouxs latest movie. Those poor scientologists (non capitalised by intent) did not know what they were dealing with when they came up against Louis.

That was the disturbing part - there is NOTHING these people can do about this harassment because they toe legal lines, plus they have enough money to tie people up in litigation for ages.

You are exactly right when you say they torment their apostates with impunity and this isn't happening in some third world shit hole.  This is happening in America.  WTF?

I'm going to have to check out that movie.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Fashionista"I remember seeing a protest in front of a scientology office..

ac_umm

There are a few but they really get in there and help people along.  They help these people and then they own them and get them to spread the "good word".
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "Fashionista"I remember seeing a protest in front of a scientology office..

ac_umm

There are a few but they really get in there and help people along.  They help these people and then they own them and get them to spread the "good word".

So they seek out the wealthy?

RW

Quote from: "Fashionista"

ac_umm

So they seek the wealthy?

I would imagine so but more importantly, they seek the influential and the visible.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

ac_umm

I would imagine so but more importantly, they seek the influential and the visible.

I have met people of nearly every religion, ideology, lifestyle, but never a scientologist.

ac_dunno

Bricktop

Quote from: "Oberon"There are a few other doco-movies that explore this dangerous and insidious cult.

That was the disturbing part - there is NOTHING these people can do about this harassment because they toe legal lines, plus they have enough money to tie people up in litigation for ages.

You are exactly right when you say they torment their apostates with impunity and this isn't happening in some third world shit hole.  This is happening in America.  WTF?

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFjwfVCiefM

Bricktop

Most modern countries have anti-harassment laws. These include restraining orders that are NOT just for angry husbands.

RW

Quote from: "Oberon"

Most modern countries have anti-harassment laws. These include restraining orders that are NOT just for angry husbands.

It seems in the show that reporting it to the police has had no results.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

ac_umm

I have met people of nearly every religion, ideology, lifestyle, but never a scientologist.

ac_dunno

I have met people from many faiths as well but never a Scientologist either.  I think they keep to themselves but have people who do active recruiting.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Fashionista"So they seek out the wealthy?

Not exactly, but the wealthy can afford to buy their way instantly into the upper "echelon" of this cult.  They bypass most of the shit that "regular" cult members have to endure.

That, and the cult wouldn't dream of pulling the same shit on Tom Cruise that they would with a "regular" member...

Anonymous

Scientology is a scam. Why the hell is it in Extremism with the likes of Islam, communism, or fascism?

Angry White Male

Scientology gets away with what they do, since they are generally on their best behaviour around non-members, and typically don't cause problems for those not associated with the cult...