Replies: 10394
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 11:15:05 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Erica Mena

20,000 pounds for MINOR drink driving.

Started by Bricktop, February 01, 2017, 11:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricktop

A footballer in the UK has been fined 20K for a drink driving offence.

Thats around $50,000 Australian and Canadian. For returning a reading that would be legal in Australia, the US and Canada.

"Footballer Roberto Firmino has been banned from driving for a year and fined £20,000 for drink-driving.

The 25-year-old Brazil international was arrested after his Range Rover was stopped in Liverpool city centre in the early hours of Christmas Eve.

In a statement, the Liverpool FC forward said what he did was wrong and "apologised without reservation".

The club said it had "disciplined" him but the action would remain private and it would not affect his selection.

'Bad example'

Liverpool Magistrates' Court heard Firmino had left a restaurant and was seen to cross into the opposite carriageway on Strand Street when he was stopped by police.

He was taken to a police station and breathalysed.

He had a reading of 46 micrograms of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath above the legal limit in England of 35 micrograms. "

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-38827722">http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-38827722

20 THOUSAND pounds sterling for a MINOR infringement, no accident, no embarrassment and no evidence of impairment.

It seems the UK has a proportional fining system, similar to Sweden and other Scandinavian countries, whereby a fine is calculated based on a proportion of income, rather than fixed fines.

So, an unemployed student (probably a leftie) is fined $100 for speeding.

The CEO of a large corporation is fined $10,000 for the same offence.

Is this fair? Is it justice?

Bricktop

As a side issue, where do these sporting clubs get off adding their own penalties to a civil crime?

Isn't it a cornerstone of our justice system that we are punished only once for the same offence?

Anonymous

What is wrong with a sports club fining players for bad behaviour away from the game?

Bricktop

Ok.

How about your church fining you for not wearing a seat belt?

How about schools fining students for jaywalking?

Employers fining their staff for getting drunk in a bar?

Anonymous

Being paid millions of dollars a year to do something you love is not a right.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"Being paid millions of dollars a year to do something you love is not a right.

They know that which is why they tolerate it.

IRISH KAM

DRINK DRIVING in GB is massively clamped down on by the police .

There Right as well .

Drunk Drivers kill 1000s of innocent people a year .

Fuck Him !
LIBERALISM IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN TERRORISM ! ( KAM )

Anonymous

Quote from: "IRISH KAM"DRINK DRIVING in GB is massively clamped down on by the police .

There Right as well .

Drunk Drivers kill 1000s of innocent people a year .

Fuck Him !

It's very serious in every province in Canada too I think.

Anonymous

I got an impaired around twenty years ago on a fly home from Libya. I got three months suspension. I am pretty sure it's a minimum of one year now.

kiebers

Like any other professional sports team the players sign contracts. I am sure there is plenty of bold print telling them they can fine them for pretty much whatever they want to. Seems fair to me. Get paid that kind of money you should be held to a higher standard. Too many players are looked up to and idolized by kids and adults alike. Doubt seriously a driver and care would have cost that much for a night.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Anonymous

Quote from: "kiebers"Like any other professional sports team the players sign contracts. I am sure there is plenty of bold print telling them they can fine them for pretty much whatever they want to. Seems fair to me. Get paid that kind of money you should be held to a higher standard. Too many players are looked up to and idolized by kids and adults alike. Doubt seriously a driver and car would have cost that much for a night.

I agree kiebers.

Frood

It's kind of like a sharia law that operates alongside western law except for the sporting fraternity.

What happens when no State laws are broken but the club punishes the player for something they don't like?

Happens sometimes here. A footy player does something not illegal but questionable. The State does nothing. The club doles out punishments.

Seems wrong but they did sign the contract. Seems to me that players need to collectively bargain out of being held to different standards or start a different league and leave the manipulators in the dust.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"It's kind of like a sharia law that operates alongside western law except for the sporting fraternity.

What happens when no State laws are broken but the club punishes the player for something they don't like?

Happens sometimes here. A footy player does something not illegal but questionable. The State does nothing. The club doles out punishments.

Seems wrong but they did sign the contract. Seems to me that players need to collectively bargain out of being held to different standards or start a different league and leave the manipulators in the dust.

Oh ffs, I was waiting for someone to use that analogy. Why not call the team owners nazis. Get real, they are living the fucking dream.

Frood

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"It's kind of like a sharia law that operates alongside western law except for the sporting fraternity.

Oh ffs, I was waiting for someone to use that analogy. Why not call the team owners nazis. Get real, they are living the fucking dream.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. It's a contract both parties agree to. That it's draconian is another issue.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"
Quote from: "Shen Li"

I don't necessarily disagree with you. It's a contract both parties agree to. That it's draconian is another issue.

No gun is pointed at their heads when they sign that contract. It seems like not much of a sacrifice for a life of exceptional privilege.