Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

A

millennials choose avocado toast over purchasing their first home

Started by Anonymous, May 16, 2017, 08:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Angry White Male"Condo's here in Vancouver sell for $500,000, at a minimum it seems...

Minimum wage is $10.00/hour.

Crack heads all have working cell phones.

People live in tents in the city.

Crack heads all seem to have a non-stop supply of smokes and drugs.

Not sure what to make of things...

Drug addicts likely commit crimes to support their addictions.

Unless they are celebrities or have a trust fund, it's the only way they can support their habit.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"This person is being cute, but I agree the spending habits of young people need to change if they want to be home owners.

Freely spending on avocados — the pricey, popular superfruit beloved by young people — may be one of the reasons why some young people can't afford a house, according to Australian millionaire and property mogul Tim Gurner.

"When I was trying to buy my first home, I wasn't buying smashed avocado for $19 and four coffees at $4 each," Gurner told the Australian news show 60 Minutes.

Only 32% of home owners were first-time buyers in 2016, the lowest point since 1987, according to a study by NerdWallet. A recent study by HSBC found that American millennials have a homeownership rate of 35%, and in Australia only about 28% of millennials own their homes. Cost is often a major factor in millennials' decisions to buy — the study found that a lot of young homeowners got a financial boost from their parents when making their purchase.

"We're at a point now where the expectations of younger people are very, very high," Gruner said. "They want to eat out every day, they want to travel to Europe every year. The people that own homes today worked very, very hard for it, saved every dollar, did everything they could to get up the property investment ladder."

Millennial spending habits have been analyzed from all angles and according to Goldman Sachs researcher Lindsay Drucker, young people place value over convenience and prefer experiences over big-ticket items like homes and cars. A Food Institute analysis of 2014 data from the US Department of Agriculture also found that millennials spend about 44% of their "food dollars" on eating out where foods like avocado seem to dominate menus from fast-food staples like Starbucks to fast-casual restaurants like Chipotle.

Avocado prices around the world have soared over the last year as the super-fruit gains popularity for its health benefits. Fortune recently reported that prices will likely remain high throughout summer 2017 due to high demand and low domestic production.

Gurner isn't the only Australian critic of young people who choose to spend a lot on avocados. Mashable pointed to an October article from The Australian columnist Bernard Salt criticizing those who spend a lot on them. "I have seen young people order smashed avocado with crumbled feta on five-grain toasted bread at $22 a pop and more," he wrote.

"Twenty-two dollars several times a week could go towards a deposit on a house," he added.

http://time.com/money/4778942/avocados-millennials-home-buying/">http://time.com/money/4778942/avocados- ... me-buying/">http://time.com/money/4778942/avocados-millennials-home-buying/

Today's generation seems to value experiences over all else.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Velvet"Today's generation seems to value experiences over all else.

The things that are important to them are often different from their parents.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Velvet"Today's generation seems to value experiences over all else.

They don't want to have to work and sacrifice like their parents did. Particialarly white millennials. They are the fucking worst.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"

They don't want to have to work and sacrifice like their parents did. Particialarly white millennials. They are the fucking worst.

You and I have talked before how many East Asians extend adolescence about ten years later than the previous generation.

Berry Sweet

I saw this article earlier online and laughed...$19 for avocado on toast?? Is this a 5 star breaky?  Many people today live beyond their means...always wanting more and more and thinking they are entitled.  

Then theres the ones who always talk about their job "positions" and how superior they think they are but when you ask what they do, its like they dont know.  Lot of people today have their name on a peice of paper and are still dumber than shit.  Not everyone who goes to school comes out educated.  These idiots too are also the ones buying $19 avacodo on toast, star bucks coffees, pricey clothers, car payments, putting shit like, nails and beauty shits, expencive outings on their credit card....these people have good jobs and theyre either broke or in debt and still not saving any money...but hey...they got that "position" at work

Anonymous

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"I saw this article earlier online and laughed...$19 for avocado on toast?? Is this a 5 star breaky?  Many people today live beyond their means...always wanting more and more and thinking they are entitled.  

Then theres the ones who always talk about their job "positions" and how superior they think they are but when you ask what they do, its like they dont know.  Lot of people today have their name on a peice of paper and are still dumber than shit.  Not everyone who goes to school comes out educated.  These idiots too are also the ones buying $19 avacodo on toast, star bucks coffees, pricey clothers, car payments, putting shit like, nails and beauty shits, expencive outings on their credit card....these people have good jobs and theyre either broke or in debt and still not saving any money...but hey...they got that "position" at work

You got that right. In most cases, liberal arts degrees are useless.  A student graduates worse off financially than when they  started.

Berry Sweet

There are many "professionals" out there who dont know what they are doing...it goes for doctors, lawyers...people in sales and marketing are the most boring people ever...always talking about their fancy name position...like, you sit behind a computer all day and talk on a phone....thats not an exciting job...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"There are many "professionals" out there who dont know what they are doing...it goes for doctors, lawyers...people in sales and marketing are the most boring people ever...always talking about their fancy name position...like, you sit behind a computer all day and talk on a phone....thats not an exciting job...

As a professional, I like to think I know my field of expertise. Everything outside of work, maybe not.ac_umm

Anonymous

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"There are many "professionals" out there who dont know what they are doing...it goes for doctors, lawyers...people in sales and marketing are the most boring people ever...always talking about their fancy name position...like, you sit behind a computer all day and talk on a phone....thats not an exciting job...

Do you mean you know some incompetent doctors and lawyers Berry?

Anonymous

Bottom line is millennials are being screwed over by mass immigration.

Berry Sweet

Do you mean you know some incompetent doctors and lawyers Berry?

Yes.  But you dont need to know them...ive come across some in my life...utter and total morons!  I dont meed a lawyer to represent me...I can do that myself...judges are retards, most of them should be in prison themselves...and finding a good doc is hard...I have one in my family..honestly, another clueless moron with their name on a piece of paper...literally.

Berry Sweet

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"Bottom line is millennials are being screwed over by mass immigration.

This is true.

weebles

never had avocado on my sub do like  subways meatball sub's  and used to like their chicken subs but now that subway got caught having only 50% of their chicken is actually chicken the rest is mystery meat that has thrown me off subway a bit

Anonymous

Quote from: "weebles"never had avocado on my sub do like  subways meatball sub's  and used to like their chicken subs but now that subway got caught having only 50% of their chicken is actually chicken the rest is mystery meat that has thrown me off subway a bit

Weebs, how the fuck is the old Serb?