Replies: 10399
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:39:45 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

A

Airbnb driving up rents in Canadian cities

Started by Anonymous, August 08, 2017, 07:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Ultimately the issue is strata councils not allowing rentals in the first place.  There's tons of empty apartments owned by foreign buyers who would rent them out if they could but strata prevents it.  Hence airbnb being an option.

We own a condo in Fort Mac that forbids renting too, but a third to half of the units in our complex are in fact rented out. As Fash said, it's an unenforceable rule.

RW

Quote from: "Angry White Male"
Quote from: "RW"Ultimately the issue is strata councils not allowing rentals in the first place.  There's tons of empty apartments owned by foreign buyers who would rent them out if they could but strata prevents it.  Hence airbnb being an option.

That changed, at least in BC.

They cannot restrict rentals anymore, at least not to buyers of units after the rule change date, such as myself.

Now, I am uncertain if the Strata council can change that bylaw, but if they could, I would assume I'm Grandfathered.

I vaguely remembered something about that.  

Some strata councils allow rentals but very few.

I imagine it's the thing to do in Fort Mac.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Angry White Male

Let me dig out my rules here, if I can find them...

Angry White Male

Can't find it, and don't feel like reading through pages and pages of online documents.

Angry White Male

This building has no rental restrictions (other than the short-term bnb rentals, which runs afoul of the 'running a business out of a residential strata unit' rule).

Pets and smoking are permitted here also.

However, there are luckily very few renters living here, as most are owner occupied, which a good thing.  Less than 10% are rented out...

Anonymous

UCP MLA Derek Fildebrandt has come under fire for renting out his subsidized Edmonton apartment on Airbnb..

He says it doesn't violate rules and he will donate any money paid for the short term rental to paying down the provincial deficit.

ac_umm

GORDY GAMBINO

Quote from: "Angry White Male"Absolutely.  I keep my place spic and span.

Last thing I need to do is clean up after pigs.  I don't even want strangers sleeping in my bed, new sheets or not!

Strangers in ya bed you outa try Pattaya.......I lean over to the left and say which one is you and then do the same on the right.

More than 1 bitch in the bed.

I am a King.
RW = ANAL SIZE WHORE

Anonymous

Quote from: "GORDY GAMBINO"

Last thing I need to do is clean up after pigs.  I don't even want strangers sleeping in my bed, new sheets or not!

Strangers in ya bed you outa try Pattaya.......I lean over to the left and say which one is you and then do the same on the right.

I am a King.

They were trying to chew their limbs off like a coyote to get away from you, isn't that right pig.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"UCP MLA Derek Fildebrandt has come under fire for renting out his subsidized Edmonton apartment on Airbnb..

He says it doesn't violate rules and he will donate any money paid for the short term rental to paying down the provincial deficit.

ac_umm

Even though it is not a violation of rules, the optics couldn't be any worse. When that guy was the head of the CTF, he mercilessly pilloried politicians for this kind of thing.

RW

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "Fashionista"UCP MLA Derek Fildebrandt has come under fire for renting out his subsidized Edmonton apartment on Airbnb..

ac_umm

Even though it is not a violation of rules, the optics couldn't be any worse. When that guy was the head of the CTF, he mercilessly pilloried politicians for this kind of thing.

How could that not be a violation of the rules?  Did he claim it somewhere as he went?
Beware of Gaslighters!

GORDY GAMBINO

Quote from: "Velvet"
Quote from: "GORDY GAMBINO"

I am a King.

They were trying to chew their limbs off like a coyote to get away from you, isn't that right pig.

2 did...one said I was the rudest farang she had ever met
RW = ANAL SIZE WHORE

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"

ac_umm

How could that not be a violation of the rules?  Did he claim it somewhere as he went?

Apparently it's not a against the rules for MLA's to rent out their subsidized housing in the provincial capital when they are away..

And it seems Derek Fildebranbt is not the only one who is or has done this.

Anonymous

ac_umm

The rules are fuzzy. He claimed the living expense year round as all non-Edmonton MLA's do.

It's highly unlikely he broke any rule, but the loopholes that allow MLA's to rent their Edmonton  apartments  while  they are collecting living allowances need to be closed.

As the former boss of CTF,  Fildebradbt is such a fucking hypocrite.

RW

Quote from: "Shen Li"

ac_umm

The rules are fuzzy. He claimed the living expense year round as all non-Edmonton MLA's do.

It's highly unlikely he broke any rule, but the loopholes that allow MLA's to rent their Edmonton  apartments  while  they are collecting living allowances need to be closed.

You can't fault a guy for taking full advantage of the savings available to him but you're right, that loophole needs to be closed.

The hypocrisy doesn't surprise me one bit.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"

ac_umm

You can't fault a guy for taking full advantage of the savings available to him but you're right, that loophole needs to be closed.

The hypocrisy doesn't surprise me one bit.

I alternate between a variety radio station and talk radio during my morning commute..

Needless to say Derek Fildebrandbt and MLA's renting out their apartments in the provincial capital while receiving taxpayer housing allowances was the topic of discussion.