Airbnb driving up rents in Canadian cities

Started by Anonymous, August 08, 2017, 07:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "Fashionista"UCP MLA Derek Fildebrandt has come under fire for renting out his subsidized Edmonton apartment on Airbnb..

He says it doesn't violate rules and he will donate any money paid for the short term rental to paying down the provincial deficit.

ac_umm

Even though it is not a violation of rules, the optics couldn't be any worse. When that guy was the head of the CTF, he mercilessly pilloried politicians for this kind of thing.

How could that not be a violation of the rules?  Did he claim it somewhere as he went?

The rules are fuzzy. He claimed the living expense year round as all non-Edmonton MLA's do.

It's highly unlikely he broke any rule, but the loopholes that allow MLA's to rent their Edmonton  apartments  while  they are collecting living allowances need to be closed.

As the former boss of CTF,  Fildebradbt is such a fucking hypocrite.

You can't fault a guy for taking full advantage of the savings available to him but you're right, that loophole needs to be closed.

The hypocrisy doesn't surprise me one bit.

I suppose, but it is unethical even if not an outright violation.

I'm curious if there are set rules about this dubious practice among MPP's who don't live within commuting distance of Queen's Park.

RW

Quote from: "Fashionista"UCP MLA Derek Fildebrandt has come under fire for renting out his subsidized Edmonton apartment on Airbnb..

He says it doesn't violate rules and he will donate any money paid for the short term rental to paying down the provincial deficit.

ac_umm

Even though it is not a violation of rules, the optics couldn't be any worse. When that guy was the head of the CTF, he mercilessly pilloried politicians for this kind of thing.

How could that not be a violation of the rules?  Did he claim it somewhere as he went?

The rules are fuzzy. He claimed the living expense year round as all non-Edmonton MLA's do.

It's highly unlikely he broke any rule, but the loopholes that allow MLA's to rent their Edmonton  apartments  while  they are collecting living allowances need to be closed.

You can't fault a guy for taking full advantage of the savings available to him but you're right, that loophole needs to be closed.

I suppose, but it still doesn't sit well with me.

I'm curious if there are set rules about this dubious practice among MPP's who don't live within commuting distance of Queen's Park.

I'm sure it will come to light if there is.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

ac_umm

I suppose, but it still doesn't sit well with me.

I'm sure it will come to light if there is.

And that may be the silver lining.

Thiel

I was driving in Chicago recently and listening to a local radio station. Listeners were invited to call in a share some of their Airbnb horror stories. Some of them were pretty messed up.
gay, conservative and proud

Anonymous

Quote from: "Thiel"I was driving in Chicago recently and listening to a local radio station. Listeners were invited to call in a share some of their Airbnb horror stories. Some of them were pretty messed up.

I could imagine Thiel..

I remember an infamous Airbnb story here in Calgary.