The best topic

Replies: 10410
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:12:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Santa's Here - Form an orderly queue.

Started by Bricktop, November 27, 2017, 06:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 5 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Bricktop

Zetsu

Assuming if I own a gas car that has teh same acceleration as Tesla's model 3, a 0-100 in 5 seconds would likely consume 15 litres of gas per 100km, 1USD for 1 litre of gasoline is pretty much $15 USD per 100km, while electric cars only cost 1USD of electricity to travel 100 km.  To answer your first question, the cost ratio is 1 to 15, that's almost like having to not worry about paying for fuel/energy again.
Permanently off his rocker

Zetsu

Quote from: "Bricktop"That's cheap.

Yep, that's why you should buy one too, lol.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Zetsu"
Quote from: "Bricktop"What is the cost per km of EV over fossil fuelled?

That cost includes initial outlay, fuel costs, average daily wear and tear etc, over a 5 year period, which is the average time people own cars?

About 1 US penny per 1km traveled for electric cars if charged at non-peak hours.

That is misleading.

That assumes that cheap overnight electricity at rock-bottom domestic prices is mostly used to charge the electric car in question, which is unlikely if commercial charging points are used during the day.It also glosses over the fact almost 60 per cent of the current price of petrol and diesel is tax, which will inevitably clobber the presently untaxed electric motorist in some form or other as the take-up of electric vehicles increases and the revenue from fossil fuels diminishes.

Anonymous

Your husband is right, in cold freezing weather the voltage of batteries drops noticably and reduces the overall torque of the car.  For gasoline cars will end up buring more fuel due to the humid freezing air, but still have the edge when it comes to performance.

They will need to be charged more often in our climate..

And with our electricity costs set to soar as we get rid of our coal fired power plants, it simply doesn't make sense for us to buy an electric car.

Zetsu

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Bricktop"What is the cost per km of EV over fossil fuelled?

That cost includes initial outlay, fuel costs, average daily wear and tear etc, over a 5 year period, which is the average time people own cars?

About 1 US penny per 1km traveled for electric cars if charged at non-peak hours.

That is misleading.

That assumes that cheap overnight electricity at rock-bottom domestic prices is mostly used to charge the electric car in question, which is unlikely if commercial charging points are used during the day.It also glosses over the fact almost 60 per cent of the current price of petrol and diesel is tax, which will inevitably clobber the presently untaxed electric motorist in some form or other as the take-up of electric vehicles increases and the revenue from fossil fuels diminishes.

That's true, but even if they heavily add a 50% electric tax it's still only $2 CAD per 100km traveled.  Plus most ppl would use super chargers only if it's an emergency or traveling on a vacation, while over 90% of the time many would take advantage and programs their cars to recharging only during the middle of the night.

Blazor

For Kam  ac_drinks

https://cdn.liquor.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/kilbeggan2.jpg">
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Blazor

For Grimm

http://greenerculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/handful.jpg">

Blazor

For Kiebers a nice hammer lol

http://static.red-server.ru/uploads/posts/2015-02/1424561883_ff2.jpg">

Anonymous

Quote from: "Zetsu" it's still only $2 CAD per 100km traveled.  Plus most ppl would use super chargers only if it's an emergency or traveling on a vacation, while over 90% of the time many would take advantage and programs their cars to recharging only during the middle of the night.

This is from the UK, but the calculations are even more relevant to Canada as we have cheaper gas and diesel.

QuoteUsing the simplest calculations and based on electricity alone, the Leaf costs about 1.7p per mile to run if charged at off-peak rates (which currently bottom out at 5p per kWh). Using peak rate electricity at 12p per unit pushes the cost up to a still modest-sounding 4.1p per mile.

This compares with a cost of 9.6p per mile for the diesel Golf, assuming a price of £1.42 for a litre of fuel. However, to be completely fair you have to consider that the actual cost of diesel, when duty and VAT is removed, is less than 60p per litre, representing a "real fuel" cost of only 4.1p per mile.

Not really a savings at all.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Zetsu" it's still only $2 CAD per 100km traveled.  Plus most ppl would use super chargers only if it's an emergency or traveling on a vacation, while over 90% of the time many would take advantage and programs their cars to recharging only during the middle of the night.

This is from the UK, but the calculations are even more relevant to Canada as we have cheaper gas and diesel.

QuoteUsing the simplest calculations and based on electricity alone, the Leaf costs about 1.7p per mile to run if charged at off-peak rates (which currently bottom out at 5p per kWh). Using peak rate electricity at 12p per unit pushes the cost up to a still modest-sounding 4.1p per mile.

This compares with a cost of 9.6p per mile for the diesel Golf, assuming a price of £1.42 for a litre of fuel. However, to be completely fair you have to consider that the actual cost of diesel, when duty and VAT is removed, is less than 60p per litre, representing a "real fuel" cost of only 4.1p per mile.

And because they require more plugging in our cold climate, the spread if any would be insignificant..

An electric vehicle makes no sense where we live.

Zetsu

I'm not exactly sure what does the p stands for but in Ontario it's currently at 6.5 cents per kWh from 7pm-7am, assuming the Model 3 has a 75kWh battery and can travel 550km per full charge.  6.5*75=487 cents for each 550km, that's $0.0088 CAD per km traveled, unless I'm mistaken.

QuoteCost of Charging

If you only have one hour you can charge for one hour and go - you don't need to charge to 100% all at once.

On average a typical battery EV will cost less than $300 per year, or about $0.78 per day to charge at night. *1

A typical plug-in hybrid EV will cost about $700 per year, or $1.92 per day for fuel (including gasoline and electricity costs). *2

Comparable gasoline cars can cost between $1,000 and $2,500 per year to fuel - up to eight times more money spent each day. *3

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/charging-electric-vehicle.shtml">http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicl ... icle.shtml">http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/charging-electric-vehicle.shtml

Anonymous

I'm not exactly sure what does the p stands for but in Ontario it's currently at 6.5 cents per kWh from 7pm-7am, assuming the Model 3 has a 75kWh battery and can travel 550km per full charge.  6.5*75=487 cents for each 550km, that's $0.0088 CAD per km traveled, unless I'm mistaken.

QuoteCost of Charging

If you only have one hour you can charge for one hour and go - you don't need to charge to 100% all at once.

On average a typical battery EV will cost less than $300 per year, or about $0.78 per day to charge at night. *1

A typical plug-in hybrid EV will cost about $700 per year, or $1.92 per day for fuel (including gasoline and electricity costs). *2

Comparable gasoline cars can cost between $1,000 and $2,500 per year to fuel - up to eight times more money spent each day. *3

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/charging-electric-vehicle.shtml">http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicl ... icle.shtml">http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/charging-electric-vehicle.shtml

It's pence.

I would say that car could do less than half that on a full charge in Canada. Unless you're shelling out more than $100,000 for a Tesla Model S 85D that'll get you an advertised 435 km of range — you can only drive 120-200 km on a single charge, depending on the vehicle.

That range is even shorter when it's cold outside and you're using extra juice to heat the interior. Take away the taxes on fuels and put them on  electricity and the operating costs disappear entirely.

Blazor

Santa's gonna be real upset when he finds out y'all conspiring to use electric cars. You know he dont supply the batteries! lol

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blazor"Santa's gonna be real upset when he finds out y'all conspiring to use electric cars. You know he dont supply the batteries! lol

lol

EV's are not a bad idea when the taxpayer is subsiding the price of the vehicles. And taxes on fossil fuels subsidizes free electricity at malls and hotels.

If everyone were to charge their vehicle overnight the demand would be around three times greater – or almost the entire current  winter electricity use. To put this in perspective, even a 50 per cent increase of electric cars, spread over the next 10 years or so, is unlikely.