Replies: 10395
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

4 kids rescued from Thai cave!

Started by Bricktop, July 09, 2018, 02:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caskur

Yep and I for one am more relaxed about it than I was yesterday.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Bricktop

Just four more...amazing effort by the rescue teams.

cc

Latest - There is optimism that the dive team is getting more efficient in their attempts. They successfully extracted the second group of four a full two hours faster than the first, officials said.

"Two days, eight Boars," read a Facebook post by the Thai navy SEALS about the operation at the Tham Luan Nang Non cave that began Sunday, more than two weeks after the Wild Boars soccer team became trapped.

Their families were being kept at a distance because of fears of infection and the emaciated-looking boys were eating a rice-based porridge because they were still too weak to take regular food, authorities said. All those extracted reportedly showed signs of infection.
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

I haven't been following this. What were the young soccer players doing there in the first place?

Angry White Male

These are the two British cave divers that originally located the group.  These guys are the 'go-to' guys that get the call when no one else will do...

https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/180703154934-02-thai-cave-rescue-070318-exlarge-169.jpg">

Angry White Male

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"I haven't been following this. What were the young soccer players doing there in the first place?

Exploring a cave, and then heave rains flooded it.

Anonymous

All twelve boys and their coach have now been rescued.

:smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

caskur

Quote from: "Fashionista"All twelve boys and their coach have now been rescued.

:smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

Yep... everyone is safe... now they have to recover.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

cc

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"I haven't been following this. What were the young soccer players doing there in the first place?

Not a good idea obviously

But as Mel said, they went exploring and heavy rains happened filled long low sections of it .. making it impossible to get through completely filled sections of it  without extraordinary means and expert help

http://a57.foxnews.com/images.foxnews.com/content/fox-news/world/2018/07/10/hooyah-rescuers-at-thai-cave-prepare-for-final-push-to-save-players-after-successful-extractions/_jcr_content/article-text/article-par-13/inline_spotlight_ima/image.img.jpg/612/344/1531220981914.jpg?ve=1&tl=1">

Anonymous

I am very grateful to all the volunteers who put this rescue together, and grateful for the good outcome.

I pause to honor the one who died.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/720x405/p06d18zd.jpg">

Saman Guna, former Thai navy diver (and triathlete) .... risked and lost his life in the cave rescue effort. He didn't ask about the ethnicity or immigration status of the boys in the cave.

cc

Agree. He was one of the many heroes there

[Note: Said without misusing his death as a vehicle to promote a political agenda]

Angry White Male

One thing that's for sure...  All of the rescuers had balls of steel, entering into a situation that they knew was about as risky as a rescue could get.  Sadly one did have to pay the ultimate price.

cc

While I would have put it very differently than Mel did, there actually was invaluable help from Brit experienced  cave divers

in fact, the 2 Brits initially brought in found the boys when others failed simply because they were more used to navigating small tunnels with virtually zero visibility

They also left a line in place for others to follow in and out which overcame the visibility problem for all the divers

It is also my understanding that many Thai Seals worked with ultimately 7 Brits them to get them all out

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07/09/meet-seven-british-divers-playing-leading-roles-thai-cave-rescue/">A Good Read on Brit Help, but it is light on the  major Thai Seal rolls

Angry White Male

If it must be done right, you need to call in the white. :rules:

cc

Batter UP!! Play Ball!! Let's have a really  peachy ball game

Turns out the kids were heavily sedated  .. my guess out cold ... for the underwater water parts of the trip out

That helps me understand how they could get all out without incidences of raw fear foiling the effort .. knocking mask off etc. etc. which I had expected would happen in several if not all cases

So it seems they were literally pulled / pushed through underwater sections  while inert / dead weight and predictable ... NOW it makes sense to me how the were able to get them ALL out OK