Replies: 8456
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 03:49:33 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Dove

Huwawei's CEO arrested in Vancouver

Started by JOE, December 05, 2018, 06:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/huawei-cfo-wanzhou-meng-arrested-in-vancouver-faces-extradition-to-us/ar-BBQxV6T?ocid=ientp">http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolit ... ocid=ientp">http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/huawei-cfo-wanzhou-meng-arrested-in-vancouver-faces-extradition-to-us/ar-BBQxV6T?ocid=ientp

http://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/BBQysFZ.img?h=177&w=270&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=363&y=250">

QuoteCanadian authorities have arrested the chief financial officer of Chinese tech giant Huawei Technologies in Vancouver, B.C.

Wanzhou Meng, who also goes by Sabrina Meng, was arrested in Vancouver on Saturday, Dec. 1, Department of Justice Canada spokesperson Ian McLeod told Global News.

He said Meng faces extradition to the U.S., and that a bail hearing has been set for Friday.

"As there is a publication ban in effect, we cannot provide any further detail at this time," McLeod said. He added that the publication ban was sought by Meng.

Huawei has not responded to Global News' request for comment.

U.S. authorities have been probing Huawei's alleged shipping of American-origin products to Iran in violation of U.S. export and sanctions laws, sources told Reuters in April.

Meng, the 46-year-old daughter of Huawei founder Ren Zhengfei, has previously been suspected of involvement in Huawei's alleged ties to Iran.

In 2013, Reuters revealed that Meng served on the board of Skycom Tech, a Hong Kong-based firm that attempted to sell embargoed computer equipment to Iran's Mobile Telecommunication Co, in violation of trade sanctions.

At least 13 pages of a proposal to sell Hewlett-Packard computer equipment to Iran were marked "Huawei confidential."

Skycom was described by Huawei as one of its "major local partners," although the Chinese company said neither it nor Skycom ultimately provided the HP equipment.

Huawei said its relationship with Skycom was "a normal business partnership," and said its business in Iran was in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.

Anonymous

We demonize Russia, but China has been stealing billions of dollars of our intellectual property and buying off our politicians. Trudeau is Beijing's stooge.

Bricktop

Huawei has close ties to the Chinese government.

It was banned here from bidding on an important networking project for the Australian government.

Like all things connected to the Chinese government, it cannot be trusted. China is a hostile nation, and the West needs to open it's damn eyes.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Huawei has close ties to the Chinese government.

It was banned here from bidding on an important networking project for the Australian government.

Like all things connected to the Chinese government, it cannot be trusted. China is a hostile nation, and the West needs to open it's damn eyes.

That is true Bricktop.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Huawei has close ties to the Chinese government.

But, Russia is the West's enemy, not China.

Bricktop

We're more likely to have to shoot at China than Russia.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"We're more likely to have to shoot at China than Russia.

We'll blame Russia for China's actions.

realgrimm

I bought this cell for 20 bucks from Public Mobile, glad the monies have been going to a good cause

Anonymous

Quote from: "realgrimm"I bought this cell for 20 bucks from Public Mobile, glad the monies have been going to a good cause

:laugh:

Frood

Why should she as a Chinese national be subject to what I believe, correct me if I'm wrong here, an embargo by Western aligned nations which China is not a part of?

Whether the embargo is righteous or not, countries can't legislate their rules abroad to other nations who don't agree.

So this woman suffers for no damn good reason.
Blahhhhhh...

JOE

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"We demonize Russia, but China has been stealing billions of dollars of our intellectual property and buying off our politicians. Trudeau is Beijing's stooge.

Well it might possibly have to do with Russia's blatant attempts to meddle in the internal affairs of foreign nations. Its leader Vladimir Putin has been accused of trying to alter the election results of Western nations. Not just the United States but others like France.

Plus Putin sends his henchmen off to foreign lands to assassinate or poison Russian citizens who cross him and step out of line. Putin is an evil ruthless man who dors not reflect well upon his nation.

China may be guilty of similar transgressions but they are not so obvious  in their activities

JOE

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"Why should she as a Chinese national be subject to what I believe, correct me if I'm wrong here, an embargo by Western aligned nations which China is not a part of?

Whether the embargo is righteous or not, countries can't legislate their rules abroad to other nations who don't agree.

Its probably Canada's way with the USA in the background holding a big stick telling China & this high tech giant that they're putting the brakes on their activities & that they don't want a foreign corporation to get too powerful to the point where they can't control them anymore.

Im sure the USA has a role in this latest event.

Perhaps Canada us just doing what the US authorities had asked them to

Anonymous

Quote from: "JOE"
Quote from: "iron horse jockey"We demonize Russia, but China has been stealing billions of dollars of our intellectual property and buying off our politicians. Trudeau is Beijing's stooge.

Well it might possibly have to do with Russia's blatant attempts to meddle in the internal affairs of foreign nations. Its leader Vladimir Putin has been accused of trying to alter the election results of Western nations. Not just the United States but others like France.

Plus Putin sends his henchmen off to foreign lands to assassinate or poison Russian citizens who cross him and step out of line. Putin is an evil ruthless man who dors not reflect well upon his nation.

China may be guilty of similar transgressions but they are not so obvious  in their activities

China uses it's wealth, influence, and  diaspora to interfere in the internal affairs and elections of foreign nations..

Russia doesn't have that option.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"Why should she as a Chinese national be subject to what I believe, correct me if I'm wrong here, an embargo by Western aligned nations which China is not a part of?

I'm not sure about that.

Gaon

There is a lot more  to this story than what we know so far.
The Russian Rock It