Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Julian Assange arrested - fierce international reaction pro & con

Started by cc, April 11, 2019, 12:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

https://www.foxnews.com/world/wikileaks-julian-assange-arrest-international-reaction">Assange's arrest drew sharp reactions from his supporters and those who oppose him.

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange was charged Thursday with conspiracy to commit computer intrusion for aiding Chelsea Manning in the cracking of a password to a classified U.S. government computer in 2010, the U.S. Justice Department announced hours after Assange's arrest in London.

https://static.foxnews.com/foxnews.com/content/uploads/2019/04/ezgif.com-gif-maker-2.gif">
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

caskur

Cracking a code....lol

What was the law back then when he did that?
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

caskur

Quote[size=150]WikiLeaks, the anti-secrecy organization which Assange founded and for which he published multiple secret U.S. military cables regarding the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, condemned the Ecuadorean and British governments for arresting Assange.[/size]

I thought it was the New York Times that published the leaks.

I didn't know Assange was a media mogul....lol
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Gaon

Quote from: "cc"https://www.foxnews.com/world/wikileaks-julian-assange-arrest-international-reaction">Assange's arrest drew sharp reactions from his supporters and those who oppose him.

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange was charged Thursday with conspiracy to commit computer intrusion for aiding Chelsea Manning in the cracking of a password to a classified U.S. government computer in 2010, the U.S. Justice Department announced hours after Assange's arrest in London.

https://static.foxnews.com/foxnews.com/content/uploads/2019/04/ezgif.com-gif-maker-2.gif">

What are your thoughts about this cc?
The Russian Rock It

Bricktop

If the UK approves extradition, a lot of my English friends and family are going to hear about it!!!

Anonymous

Bricktop

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"I hope they don't sleigh him.

semi funny

cc

Anonymous

I read Assange was smearing his feces on the embassy walls. :2r4ml1j_th:

cc

Quote from: "Gaon"What are your thoughts about this cc?

Without getting into my opinion as to did he do wrong, there are 2 problems with prosecuting him.

1. UK will take a while and may never happen especially as Brexit basically failed to become significant. The EU still has the say and there's not a chance in hell that their court would release him to the US.

2. The 1st amendment - In law, he did not steal the data, he  revealed / exposed what was stolen .. and would likely be protected by that law

This quote sums it up:

"What Assange did here was not to steal a secret, but to reveal a secret and that act of revelation, in that case numerous acts of revelation, is absolutely protected in the first amendment pursuant to the very now-well known and highly regarded case called the Pentagon Papers Case,"

""The people that are furious at Assange should be furious at two people: Chelsea Manning and Barack Obama," Judge Napolitano added. "Chelsea Manning is the thief. Prosecuted, tried, convicted, sentenced to a long jail term- (and then President Obama commuted the sentence for whatever reason.)

That's where those who say American lives were put in danger, that where their anger should be focused, not on a journalist who exposed it.""

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"I read Assange was smearing his feces on the embassy walls. :2r4ml1j_th:

Did he have a breakdown?

Bricktop

Quote from: "cc"

Without getting into my opinion as to did he do wrong, there are 2 problems with prosecuting him.

1. UK will take a while and may never happen especially as Brexit basically failed to become significant. The EU still has the say and there's not a chance in hell that their court would release him to the US.

2. The 1st amendment - In law, he did not steal the data, he  revealed / exposed what was stolen .. and would likely be protected by that law

This quote sums it up:

"What Assange did here was not to steal a secret, but to reveal a secret and that act of revelation, in that case numerous acts of revelation, is absolutely protected in the first amendment pursuant to the very now-well known and highly regarded case called the Pentagon Papers Case,"

""The people that are furious at Assange should be furious at two people: Chelsea Manning and Barack Obama," Judge Napolitano added. "Chelsea Manning is the thief. Prosecuted, tried, convicted, sentenced to a long jail term- (and then President Obama commuted the sentence for whatever reason.)

That's where those who say American lives were put in danger, that where their anger should be focused, not on a journalist who exposed it.""

Your argument is tainted by a faith that the American legal system is just and fair.

There is ample recent evidence to establish that that is far from the case.

Gaon

Quote from: "cc"

This quote sums it up:

You and I are on the same page. Assange revealed something the powers that be did not want revealed. He is a whistle blower.
The Russian Rock It

cc

Actually he is not a "whistle blower" .. technically a  "whistle blower"  follows a legal  protocol under the law to point out what they consider to be serious problems or govt maleficence

This guy published info gained by a spy / thief who also was not a  "whistle blower"  ... which in itself may be legal

Hold the phone!! .. DOJ is charging that this Aussie egomaniacal flake helped Manning crack the passwords that got into systems - in  which case it becomes a whole other thang than publishing stolen info ... it would legally make him a partner in serious crime