The best topic

Replies: 8416
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 02:46:34 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

To the female members....

Started by Bricktop, May 17, 2019, 10:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 6 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peaches"
Quote from: "Shen Li"I have never liked Sox, He's a communist, he stubbornly denies Ronne James Dio was the best singer to ever front Black Sabbath and worst of all, he DOES NOT LIKE KFC. :crazy:

No wonder Shen hates me.  I'm not a commie, but I didn't even know who Dio was until the handful of metalheads I know got all teary when he died.  I thought BS was probably the most overrated metal band out there, and still do.  

Also, I never eat KFC.  If I want decent fried chicken, I cook it myself.

I don't care about Black Sabbath either, but I liked Ronnie. And I love KFC.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Peaches"
Quote from: "Shen Li"I have never liked Sox, He's a communist, he stubbornly denies Ronne James Dio was the best singer to ever front Black Sabbath and worst of all, he DOES NOT LIKE KFC. :crazy:

No wonder Shen hates me.  I'm not a commie, but I didn't even know who Dio was until the handful of metalheads I know got all teary when he died.  I thought BS was probably the most overrated metal band out there, and still do.  

Also, I never eat KFC.  If I want decent fried chicken, I cook it myself.

I don't care about Black Sabbath either, but I liked Ronnie. And I love KFC.

The only metal band frontman I really like is Disturbed.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Peaches"  I thought BS was probably the most overrated metal band out there, and still do.  

You'd think differently if you saw them live.

They invented "metal".

Bricktop

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Bricktop"Shen hates anyone who does not regard KFC as cordon bleu.

You are a denier. ac_razz

I did not say it WASN'T cordon bleu!!!

:43(2):

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"
Quote from: "Peaches"  I thought BS was probably the most overrated metal band out there, and still do.  

You'd think differently if you saw them live.

They invented "metal".

A lot of people say that, but it's a ridiculously subjective matter.

I say Blue Cheer (another mediocre band) invented "metal" earlier, by covering a 1958 rockabilly song and turning the volume way up.  And quite a few people agree with me.  

But I'd seen Hendrix and also Cream in '67, and I'd played "Satisfaction" real loud, and I could see it coming even then.  I just didn't realize how lame it would be when it arrived.

Bricktop

To slightly concur, to claim a musician or group "invented" a sound is a somewhat specious argument. Especially referring to the golden age, 1962-1982, where groups were encouraged to be creative and brave in developing musical sounds, styles and genres. Rewards for grafting a new branch that resounded with the audience were massive. Bowie, for example was more mimic than mastermind, copying a variety of musical styles into his repertoire. The Rolling Stones were one of the LEAST original British bands, relying on a variation of American blues that I frankly thought embarrassing (eg "Sweet Virginia Grass" from "Exile On Main Street" - a horrible example of 'cultural appropriation').

It may be more precise to say that Black Sabbath popularised that style of music by adding their own touches to an established genre, and in so doing created a whole new acceptable and marketable "branch" called "heavy metal" ( a phrase that was born by Steppenwolf).

Music evolves rather than invents.

caskur

Uriah Heep - Come Away Melinda

Best Heavy Metal vocalist,

">
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Quote from: "caskur"Uriah Heep - Come Away Melinda

">

He looks like Edgar or Johnny Winter.

Anonymous

Wasn't Black Sabbath a protest against the hope music of the sixties.

caskur

Quote from: "Velvet"
Quote from: "caskur"Uriah Heep - Come Away Melinda

">

He looks like Edgar or Johnny Winter.

He's a Canadian and lead singer of the English heavy metal rock band, Uriah Heep.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

caskur

- Andy Warhol

caskur

Mark Knopfler, by far greatest electric guitar player of all time.

">
- Andy Warhol

Odinson

Quote from: "caskur"Doesn't anyone remember Deep Purple?

Tan tan taa, tan tan tadaa, tan tan taa, tat-tadaa..

No... Who are they?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"To slightly concur, to claim a musician or group "invented" a sound is a somewhat specious argument.

Full concurrence is rare in such matters.  I suspect that you and I would have a fair amount of common ground, while no doubt disputing about many niggling details.  

QuoteEspecially referring to the golden age, 1962-1982,

There's a niggling detail there.  And a lot of UK and Commonwealth people might well agree with you, that the golden age began in 1962.  But to many Americans, the golden age started in 1957 or a year before. This despite the fact that the boomers were only ten years old or younger at the time.  And during the interval before the Beatles, Stones, Animals etc. a lot of Americans were listening to skiffle band music just as Brits were.

QuoteMusic evolves rather than invents.
 Exactly so.  I could write a book, and in fact have lectured on specific examples of this.

Looking back at the matter of metal, in the late sixties other bands that one doesn't usually think of as "metal" also experimented with stylistic ideas that from this distance one wouldn't call "metal" but one WOULD note in passing as being proto-metal or metal-derivative.  I would say rather than one can't be a working musician and not listen to or be aware of one's contemporary fellows.  That's how an Aretha Franklin, recording her first major soul album, could have said (speaking of Duane Allman) "if we're going to Alabama to record this, get me that white cat from Macon...I want some slide guitar and Elmore is too busy."

I think it's important to include both style and substance in one's judgments.  I could talk about this all day, but I'll only offer two examples.

Chicago Transit Authority, during the Katz era, was a prog rock band with a horn section playing jazz-derived riffs.  No one called it a metal band.  Yet on their maiden album in 1967:

">

In its first few albums the English band Deep Purple was "progressive rock."  Within a few years though, it became known as an early metal proving ground.  From the second album, 1968:

">

Quote from: "Velvet"Wasn't Black Sabbath a protest against the hope music of the sixties.

I have to confess, I've never heard that term before.

Reply Print
User actions

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Is Alticus a dick sucking fairy? (answer is opposite of no):
spell bacon backwards with the first letter capitalized:
911 was an attack on what city (spell out lower case two words):
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview