Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Going to be a grandfather again.

Started by Bricktop, June 27, 2019, 03:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetsu

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Zetsu"
Quote from: "Zetsu"Woot and gratz Bricktop, no doubt this is awesome news.

Is your old man a grand daddy?

Yip, a total of 3 grand kids constantly driving my eldest brother and my sister in law insane, lol.

Lucky grandkids. Grand daddy is a multi millionaire.

Yea, though life is like a crazy roller coaster ride for them lol.  During the weekend lunch/dinner with my dad they always go to the toy store, eventually all the toys in their home have a really big pile reaching up to the ceiling, then my brother and his wife sign them up for a swim team 5x a week, English classes, fencing class, drawing class, piano class, soccer club, ballet class, and any other activities to discipline their minds, and all video game is prohibited in their home, simply it's like heaven and hell back and forth, lol.
Permanently off his rocker

Bricktop

Quote from: "Peaches"Great news, Brick!  

Is all of your family still in Oz?

Thank you.

Yes, all in Oz. Having had a difficult start in life, being abandoned by parents and growing up with no family at all, the nearest being back in the UK, I'm so proud and happy to have formed a thriving family of my own.

It's humbling.

Gaon

Quote from: "Bricktop"
Quote from: "Peaches"Great news, Brick!  

Is all of your family still in Oz?

Thank you.

Yes, all in Oz. Having had a difficult start in life, being abandoned by parents and growing up with no family at all, the nearest being back in the UK, I'm so proud and happy to have formed a thriving family of my own.

It's humbling.

I know how you feel. I only have one daughter, but she is the apple of my eye.
The Russian Rock It

Bricktop

Yes, daughters have that effect on their fathers.

Anonymous

Like old Gaon, I just had one kid. I divorced his mother when he was young. I was all over the world and didn't see as much as I would have liked when he was growing up. He is twenty eight now. I am liking more all the time the man he has become.

Berry Sweet

Bricktop

Berry Sweet

Yip, a total of 3 grand kids constantly driving my eldest brother and my sister in law insane, lol.

Yea, though life is like a crazy roller coaster ride for them lol.  During the weekend lunch/dinner with my dad they always go to the toy store, eventually all the toys in their home have a really big pile reaching up to the ceiling, then my brother and his wife sign them up for a swim team 5x a week, English classes, fencing class, drawing class, piano class, soccer club, ballet class, and any other activities to discipline their minds, and all video game is prohibited in their home, simply it's like heaven and hell back and forth, lol.

I dont understand why people do this?  The constant overdoing it with all the activities? (I did this actually when my kid was smaller)  honestly, she got annoyed with it and it was too much for me to be driving everywhere...its just way too much.  It actually overstimulated her and caused problems.

Im not sure how Asian people do it? The constant pushing thier kids with homework, tutoring and endless activities?  I know some of those kids absolutely hate it.  Forcing a child to do all of this is not good, especially if they dont want to do it or have no passion for it.   Many of them dont speak up but continue to do as their parents request.  Maybe its a cultural thing?   I wish a lot of parents would back off and get it out of their head, their child is not a special or a prodigy, and not everyone is going to grow up to be a CEO, doctor, lawyer or some other big fake dream that doesnt belong to them, but their child only.

Im not specifically piinting out Asians, but any parents in general.  I do however find Asian parents to be pushy with the grade thing tho.

Anonymous

That is Oriental parents for sure. Do they live in Toronto?

Zetsu

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"

I dont understand why people do this?  The constant overdoing it with all the activities? (I did this actually when my kid was smaller)  honestly, she got annoyed with it and it was too much for me to be driving everywhere...its just way too much.  It actually overstimulated her and caused problems.

Im not sure how Asian people do it? The constant pushing thier kids with homework, tutoring and endless activities?  I know some of those kids absolutely hate it.  Forcing a child to do all of this is not good, especially if they dont want to do it or have no passion for it.   Many of them dont speak up but continue to do as their parents request.  Maybe its a cultural thing?   I wish a lot of parents would back off and get it out of their head, their child is not a special or a prodigy, and not everyone is going to grow up to be a CEO, doctor, lawyer or some other big fake dream that doesnt belong to them, but their child only.

Im not specifically piinting out Asians, but any parents in general.  I do however find Asian parents to be pushy with the grade thing tho.

You've pretty much nailed it, like you say it's more of a cultural issue/problem in Asia, rooted in the society, especially among Orientals mainly b/c of the huge population, human resources can never be any cheaper and the only way to survive in their society's intense competition madness is by education and self improvement.  

But yea I agree it's some what out of control, the kids their are already not strong like the White or Black kids, but their teachers assign so many text books in school for them to bring home it's causing their spines to deform.  Then it's fighting to get top marks to get into a well known high school and university, another issue at least in Hong Kong is the education board still uses the elite system created by the British, simply is a pyramid system where there's only this much number of slots for the students to advance into the next grade, and only 7 universities in HK with a population of 8 million.

Zetsu

That is Oriental parents for sure. Do they live in Toronto?

Naw, they're still in Hong Kong, but with that city's future looking bleak from all the protest to riot and economy slowing down and housing still unaffordable except for the 1-3%, there's a good chance they might come over to Canada, yay.

Anonymous

Like you say it's more of a cultural issue/problem in Asia, rooted in the society, especially among Orientals mainly b/c of the huge population, human resources can never be any cheaper and the only way to survive in their society's intense competition madness is by education and self improvement.  

But yea I agree it's some what out of control, the kids their are already not strong like the White or Black kids, but their teachers assign so many text books in school for them to bring home it's causing their spines to deform.  Then it's fighting to get top marks to get into a well known high school and university, another issue at least in Hong Kong is the education board still uses the elite system created by the British, simply is a pyramid system where there's only this much number of slots for the students to advance into the next grade, and only 7 universities in HK with a population of 8 million.

Brother, I aint knocking it. And if it produces great kids, don't mess with something that works. I am just saying I don't want to take away a kids time just to be kids. And when I was a kid I would have been ditching a lot of those after school classes.

Gaon

Some parents in Israel have excessive extra curricular activities for their kids too.
The Russian Rock It

Zetsu

Like you say it's more of a cultural issue/problem in Asia, rooted in the society, especially among Orientals mainly b/c of the huge population, human resources can never be any cheaper and the only way to survive in their society's intense competition madness is by education and self improvement.  

Brother, I aint knocking it. And if it produces great kids, don't mess with something that works.I am just saying I don't want to take away a kids time just to be kids. And when I was a kid I would have been ditching a lot of those after school classes.

Sometimes I don't blame those parents when reality can be harsh in HK, they just introduce min wage in HK a few years ago, think it's now $6 CAD an hour, yet rent if iirc is around $6000CAD each month for a 800sq ft unit.  

But I agree even if life there can be hard, at least the parents could give teh child a moment to breath once or twice in a while, I've tried to tell my brother but he keep saying White ppl here in North America give their kids too much freedom, time is money(can't remember how many times he had said this on the phone), etc, to ppl of Asia, everyone's blood, sweat and tears means nothing to them.  ac_unsure

Zetsu

Quote from: "Gaon"

Some parents in Israel have excessive extra curricular activities for their kids too.

Israel reminds me of Hong Kong too, I'm sure both of these 2 states have a lot more than I can think of atm, both very small and resource limited, fighting against the odds, whether it's military conflict or political/socially(hk), quite wealthy compared to their neighbours, Jews are praised for being smartest in the West and HK scored the highest IQ test in the East, etc.