News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10387
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:57:16 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

New immigrants costing 20B a year.....??????

Started by Obvious Li, August 30, 2013, 05:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetsu

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Zetsu"I believe the main problem with Canada's policy is way too loose, how many more immigrants will Canada have to accept before they blood our system dry?  :|

I have no opinion on Canada's current immigration policies because I have not looked into it..

I do know that most immigrants I meet are very well educated..

I am not sure about refugees though..

They are probably less sought after than immigrants..

Family reunification immigrants are probably less educated too.

I guess you had better luck than I did with immigrants, here in Toronto there's only more poor and uneducated people coming in day by day, once they get in they'll bring their parents and all their relatives with them.  I've seen people that had tried to scam the system by claiming some fake chiropractor expense, while my brother had caught some Mongolian refugees stealing spark plugs at a store when he was still working as a security guard.
Permanently off his rocker

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "Fashionista"I think Shen Li was making talking about the failures of the refugee system not immigration..

My parents are immigrants and they have concerns about the current refugee system..

Refugees are in the most of need. Our government has recently decided to resettle 1,300 Syrian refugees.

They deserve our help. Assisting refugees is just as much a Canadian value as our immigration policy. All of us have come here to enjoy the same liberties and basic human rights.

We have it lucky. In comparison, two million Syrian refugees have been taken in by a handful of its neighbouring countries.

As my husband says, "be humane with genuine refugees, but do not tolerate fraud"..

He doesn't approve of Citizenship and Immigration allowing the asylum-seeker policy to become a second immigration door into Canada..

In our circle, it seems to be how the majority feels.

Romero

I think we're pretty strict with our refugees. Many say our new policies are inhumane.

There will be some fraud we must not tolerate, but this also happens within the general public.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"I think we're pretty strict with our refugees. Many say our new policies are inhumane.

There will be some fraud we must not tolerate, but this also happens in the general public.

My husband and my parents think it is a back door to immigration that allows too many false refugee claimants to stay too long while their claims go through the legal process..

As I said, I have never looked into it, but I can see their point.

cc

I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

To give credit where credit is due, the current federal government is actually doing something about bogus refugee claims and is saving Canadians money to boot. Kudos to Jason Kenney as this not only saves Canadians money, it discourages bogus refugee claims from countries within the EU or the USA.

QuoteThe plummeting figures show the impact of the changes that Immigration Minister Jason Kenney made to Canada's refugee system in 2012 when he sponsored a bill that made this country a less welcoming destination for asylum seekers with shaky claims – those he called "bogus refugees."

The Conservatives said last year the expected savings in social, education and health benefits that would no longer need to be extended to asylum seekers with unfounded claims was estimated to exceed $1.65-billion over five years. Sources say now the savings could be deeper than expected because claims are dropping more than Citizenship and Immigration expected. Senior officials predict that if the trend of the first seven weeks continues, the total savings for provinces and territories could grow by an additional $420-million to exceed $2-billion over half a decade.

One of the biggest changes is the number of asylum seekers from Hungary, previously the No. 1 source of unfounded claims. The number of claims filed by Hungarians since new rules took effect this past December is seven, down 98 per cent from 412 in the same period a year earlier.

Hungary, the People's Republic of China, Croatia and Pakistan were the top sources of claims in 2012 but in 2013 the top four, by ranking, are China, Pakistan, Nigeria and Colombia.

Mr. Kenney's legislation, now law, gives the Immigration Minister the power to designate which countries are less likely to be a legitimate source of refugees.

Changes last year designated 27 countries of origin – including the United States, most European Union member countries and Croatia – as places from which claims would be fast-tracked. Ottawa added eight more countries to this list this month.

Refugee claimants from countries on this safe list – those that Canada considers democratic states with a solid human-rights record and an independent judiciary – now have much less time to fight to stay here.

Their applications are approved or denied in as little as 45 days, down from more than 1,000 days under the old system. Under the new system, claimants from these 35 countries whose claims are rejected by the Immigration and Refugee Board are allowed only one appeal, to the Federal Court, and this challenge will not slow down their removal from Canada.

Claims from the countries Ottawa has designated as less likely to be a source of persecution have dropped 86 per cent since the changes last December, amounting to 124 asylum seekers to date compared with 874 in the period a year earlier.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/new-fast-track-rules-see-big-drop-in-refugee-asylum-claims/article8961268/">http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... le8961268/">http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/new-fast-track-rules-see-big-drop-in-refugee-asylum-claims/article8961268/