The best topic

Replies: 8534
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 05:21:48 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

A new respiratory illness, not SARS, appears in China

Started by Anonymous, January 06, 2020, 08:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Odinson

I hear big pharmas are paying 4000 bucks to people who volunteer to get infected with the coronavirus.

Easy money.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"Well, he did take time to google "Bear Market"

and the 29 crash which has sweet fa to do with a virus propelled slide

Illness over, market back to what it was

put in 50 bucks joe, and it'll make you cheap hooker money when the illness period is over

Standard & Poor's 500 index bounced back after previous pandemics and epidemics. Historically stocks have rebounded within six months. The S&P 500 rose 9.27 percent on average after various outbreaks over the past 40 years. Those include SARS, avian flu, swine flu, ebola and zika viruses.

Whether COVID-19 is more severe than other outbreaks or not, these things ultimately pass.

Within six months of when the swine flu started in early 2009, the S&P 500 rose 18.72 percent, and within one year, it was up 35.96 percent.

if COVID-19 spreads similarly to viruses tracked in the past by the World Health Organization, the number of confirmed cases will rise sharply for eight to 10 weeks. Then the infection rate will likely start to taper off into the spring months.

Travel may return, along with consumer spending, setting up for an economic rebound in the second quarter similar to the timeline for SARS in 2003.

It can take a while for a portfolio to recover from dramatic declines. A portfolio that is down 10 percent will require at least an 11 percent rise in the stock market to recover to where it was before the fall. And it isn't clear how long that could take.

I don't recommend watching the markets on a daily basis unless it's your job. Do a Shen Li, buy and hold for twenty five years or more and I guarantee your investment will be well above the rate of inflation.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"

put in 50 bucks joe, and it'll make you cheap hooker money when the illness period is over

Standard & Poor's 500 index bounced back after previous pandemics and epidemics. Historically stocks have rebounded within six months. The S&P 500 rose 9.27 percent on average after various outbreaks over the past 40 years. Those include SARS, avian flu, swine flu, ebola and zika viruses.

Whether COVID-19 is more severe than other outbreaks or not, these things ultimately pass.

Within six months of when the swine flu started in early 2009, the S&P 500 rose 18.72 percent, and within one year, it was up 35.96 percent.

if COVID-19 spreads similarly to viruses tracked in the past by the World Health Organization, the number of confirmed cases will rise sharply for eight to 10 weeks. Then the infection rate will likely start to taper off into the spring months.

Travel may return, along with consumer spending, setting up for an economic rebound in the second quarter similar to the timeline for SARS in 2003.

It can take a while for a portfolio to recover from dramatic declines. A portfolio that is down 10 percent will require at least an 11 percent rise in the stock market to recover to where it was before the fall. And it isn't clear how long that could take.

I don't recommend watching the markets on a daily basis unless it's your job. Do a Shen Li, buy and hold for twenty five years or more and I guarantee your investment will be well above the rate of inflation.

And we don't..

Being a provincial civil servant, I have a defined benefit pension plan..

But, my husband has RRSP matching at his company which is invested in a broad basket of stocks, and commodities..

It went down after SARS, and H1N!, but they are all up over time.

Anonymous

The Hang Seng had a huge sell off yesterday and trading on the Dow was halted for fifteen minutes after a ten per cent sell off in the opening hour.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"

I'd have ta disagree with you seoulbro.

Maybe in normal times your investing strategy stands up.

But these clearly arent normal times as todays data/news pounts out:

Today, March 12, 2020 - after trading is halted.

QuoteS&P 500

Dow

Nasdaq

....yet I agree with you that at some point will be a good time to jump in.

Say when the Dow is 16,000 to 18,000 territory?

Its been stated that the market was overvalued.

The coronavirus was just an excuse for the market to plunge.

I don't think it is the real cause. It was just a trigger.

I'd been hearing for months that the markets were overheated & ubstable.

Even by strong pro-Trump supporters like this guy, who had for mobths been forecastibg a crash:

">

I followed his videos for the past year.

And as it turned out, he was right on the money.

So when people who are politically very consevative Republicans were saying it, must be true.

Anonymous

Over a 20-year period, the US stock market has never gone down. People who haven't invested have no long term game plan other than the pittance OAS/CPP pay. They think short term. Having said that, in the near term a global recession is coming. There will be pain and gnashing of teeth. But, in ten years, markets will be higher than they were at the start of the coronavirus pandemic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"Do a Shen Li, buy and hold for twenty five years or more and I guarantee your investment will be well above the rate of inflation.

I have a defined benefit pension like Fash does, but we aren't looking at our RRSP investments for a couple of years. ac_biggrin

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"Over a 20-year period, the US stock market has never gone down. People who haven't invested have no long term game plan other than the pittance OAS/CPP pay. They think short term. Having said that, in the near term a global recession is coming. There will be pain and gnashing of teeth. But, in ten years, markets will be higher than they were at the start of the coronavirus pandemic.

Well if your forecast is correct, might be a good time to read this guy's book, eh seoulbro?

">

As more than one of you said previously, its best to jump in & invest when the market is in a trough or valley than a peak.

I think I'll follow that advice.

I agree with you & others now, that there must be deals on the stock market to be had in the coming months.

I have this hunch that another correction is coming in late September/early October.

Anonymous

Pay yourself first, start investing young, and when you are Joe's age you will have a decent return, guaranteed. It's not rocket science.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"Pay yourself first, start investing young, and when you are Joe's age you will have a decent return, guaranteed. It's not rocket science.

He never did that, he has nothing and it's obvious he is jealous of people who have. Even with the guaranteed income supplement, I think the top rate for OAS is only $900 per month. Enjoy Kraft Dinner from the Salvation Army Joe.

Anonymous

All these cancellations of pro sports, conventions, cruises, flights, and most economic activity are shutting down the global economy faster than the financial crisis ever did. I am with the Seoul brother, a big time recession is at hand.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"All these cancellations of pro sports, conventions, cruises, flights, and most economic activity are shutting down the global economy faster than the financial crisis ever did. I am with the Seoul brother, a big time recession is at hand.

With reduced need for commodities and goods in Canada and around the world, we will have lay-offs. I am a thirty year man, so I am safe.

Anonymous

S & P graph since Monday:

https://content.markitcdn.com/markets.on.nytimes.com/research/tools/builder/api.asp?sym=%24SP&duration=4&chartstyle=ArticleSpan&w=450&h=225&display=fillclose&scale=2&topLabel=%20&showChange=0&backgroundColor=FFFFFF&fillColor=eeeeee&line1Color=f26d2d">

https://content.markitcdn.com/markets.on.nytimes.com/research/tools/builder/api.asp?sym=%24SP&duration=4&chartstyle=ArticleSpan&w=450&h=225&display=fillclose&scale=2&topLabel=%20&showChange=0&backgroundColor=FFFFFF&fillColor=eeeeee&line1Color=f26d2d">https://content.markitcdn.com/markets.o ... lor=f26d2d">https://content.markitcdn.com/markets.on.nytimes.com/research/tools/builder/api.asp?sym=%24SP&duration=4&chartstyle=ArticleSpan&w=450&h=225&display=fillclose&scale=2&topLabel=%20&showChange=0&backgroundColor=FFFFFF&fillColor=eeeeee&line1Color=f26d2d

S&P 500 -7.87%

Dow -8.35%

Nasdaq -7.80%

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
Quote from: "Herman"All these cancellations of pro sports, conventions, cruises, flights, and most economic activity are shutting down the global economy faster than the financial crisis ever did. I am with the Seoul brother, a big time recession is at hand.

With reduced need for commodities and goods in Canada and around the world, we will have lay-offs. I am a thirty year man, so I am safe.

With you previous history of alcoholism, I thought you were a lot older than 30, Iron Horse Jockey.

didn't you previously say that you were closer to retirement age, hmmm?

So that'd make you close to or past 50, IHJ, not 30.

Seems like somebody's stretchin' the truth, Pinocchio.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EnragedFrighteningBelugawhale-size_restricted.gif">

Anonymous

S&P since 1990

https://media.ycharts.com/charts/0de192c00ec228ed338cbbc684bf5fc9.png">

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
911 was an attack on what city (spell out lower case two words):
spell bacon backwards with the first letter capitalized:
Is the "D" in Django silent? Yes or No? (must be lower case):
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview