News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10766
Total votes: : 5

Last post: Today at 05:14:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

COVID-19 >> New Drug Activity & VACCINE TRACKING!!

Started by cc, January 26, 2020, 09:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Frood

Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=381663 time=1600381476 user_id=1676
Risky...

It's a bigger risk not getting it.

cc

https://www.theepochtimes.com/trump-says-he-may-reject-stricter-fda-vaccine-guidelines_3512837.html">Trump Says He May Reject Stricter FDA Vaccine Guidelines

President Donald Trump on Wednesday questioned the need for tougher vaccine approval standards on the part of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), saying the plan "sounded extremely political" and would be subject to White House approval.

According to multiple media reports, including by The New York Times and The Washington Post, unnamed sources said the FDA has been developing stricter guidelines for the emergency authorization of a COVID-19 vaccine, a plan that Trump was asked about at Wednesday's White House briefing.

"We're looking at that. That has to be approved by the White House. We may or may not approve it. That sounds like a political move," Trump told reporters.

The president said he wants to avoid any unnecessary delay in the release of a vaccine, adding that he has "tremendous trust" in companies working on its development.

"When you have great companies coming up with these vaccines, why would they [the FDA] have to be, you know, adding great length to the process? We want to have people not get sick," Trump said.
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

cc

https://www.theepochtimes.com/johnson-johnson-announces-start-of-phase-3-trials-for-ccp-virus-vaccine_3512552.html">Johnson & Johnson Announces Start of Phase 3 Trials for CCP Virus Vaccine - Company is pursuing a single-dose vaccine, unlike competitors

U.S. company Johnson & Johnson on Wednesday announced it has reached phase 3 clinical trials for its CCP virus vaccine candidate, becoming the fourth manufacturer to reach this phase in clinical trials amid a global pandemic.

The company joins Moderna, Pfizer, and AstraZeneca to start late stage trials for a vaccine

Johnson & Johnson is pursuing a single-shot vaccine in its latest trial. Its three rival manufacturers are currently testing vaccines that would require two shots, separated by several weeks.

President Donald Trump said at a press conference on Wednesday that J&J is "far ahead of schedule" because the company had initially expected to only reach phase 1 trials by September.

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=384031 time=1600964674 user_id=88
Johnson & Johnson Announces Start of Phase 3 Trials for CCP Virus Vaccine - Company is pursuing a single-dose vaccine, unlike competitors

U.S. company Johnson & Johnson on Wednesday announced it has reached phase 3 clinical trials for its CCP virus vaccine candidate, becoming the fourth manufacturer to reach this phase in clinical trials amid a global pandemic.

The company joins Moderna, Pfizer, and AstraZeneca to start late stage trials for a vaccine

Johnson & Johnson is pursuing a single-shot vaccine in its latest trial. Its three rival manufacturers are currently testing vaccines that would require two shots, separated by several weeks.

President Donald Trump said at a press conference on Wednesday that J&J is "far ahead of schedule" because the company had initially expected to only reach phase 1 trials by September.

Hooray.

cc

https://globalnews.ca/news/7357230/bc-doctor-sars-treat-severe-covid-19/">A B.C. doctor who helped discover an enzyme and develop a drug to stop the spread of SARS more than 20 years ago is using that knowledge to fight COVID-19.

Dr. Josef Penninger, a UBC life sciences institute director, co-discovered an enzyme called ACE2 while working as a researcher in Toronto in the late '90s.

A few years later, during the SARS epidemic, Penninger discovered that ACE2 was the virus' gateway into healthy cells, where they both replicated and destroyed tissue. In the case of SARS, it was lung tissue in particular.

He then developed a drug that blocked the enzyme and stopped the virus from entering healthy tissue.

Soon after, the number of SARS cases began to drop around the world — along with funding for clinical trials.

When COVID-19, which is also a coronavirus like SARS, began to spread, Penninger resurrected his research.

Due to his previous work during the SARS outbreak, he was able to begin clinical trials well before other researchers.

On Thursday, the promising findings of the first clinical trial of his new treatment were released in the Lancet Medical Journal.

The patient, a 45-year-old woman in Vienna who was on a ventilator due to severe COVID-19 symptoms, showed improvement shortly after receiving the drug known as APN01.

"In one or two days, the virus disappeared in her blood system and also in her lungs," Penninger told Global News. "Secondly, the cytokine storm went down within two to three days. She developed perfect immunity from the virus."

"She is now back home and healthy."

A cytokine storm is an overreaction of the body's immune system, which can be fatal if someone has COVID-19.

Study recruitment is still underway around the world, with the hope that the results from 200 other severe cases of COVID-19 patients will be published by November.

If all goes well, Penninger said there could be a drug ready for market by early next year.

[It's good of course, and may well become one of the best ... but, I can't help wondering why he did not start immediately and is not far ahead of the others, some of whom are nearing the end of 3rd stage (final) trials for vaccines ]

Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=384192 time=1601081900 user_id=88
https://server2.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sfi/safoyxnpdbx/p2/news/7357230/bc-doctor-sars-treat-severe-covid-19/">A B.C. doctor who helped discover an enzyme and develop a drug to stop the spread of SARS more than 20 years ago is using that knowledge to fight COVID-19.

Dr. Josef Penninger, a UBC life sciences institute director, co-discovered an enzyme called ACE2 while working as a researcher in Toronto in the late '90s.

A few years later, during the SARS epidemic, Penninger discovered that ACE2 was the virus' gateway into healthy cells, where they both replicated and destroyed tissue. In the case of SARS, it was lung tissue in particular.

He then developed a drug that blocked the enzyme and stopped the virus from entering healthy tissue.

Soon after, the number of SARS cases began to drop around the world — along with funding for clinical trials.

When COVID-19, which is also a coronavirus like SARS, began to spread, Penninger resurrected his research.

Due to his previous work during the SARS outbreak, he was able to begin clinical trials well before other researchers.

On Thursday, the promising findings of the first clinical trial of his new treatment were released in the Lancet Medical Journal.

The patient, a 45-year-old woman in Vienna who was on a ventilator due to severe COVID-19 symptoms, showed improvement shortly after receiving the drug known as APN01.

"In one or two days, the virus disappeared in her blood system and also in her lungs," Penninger told Global News. "Secondly, the cytokine storm went down within two to three days. She developed perfect immunity from the virus."

"She is now back home and healthy."

A cytokine storm is an overreaction of the body's immune system, which can be fatal if someone has COVID-19.

Study recruitment is still underway around the world, with the hope that the results from 200 other severe cases of COVID-19 patients will be published by November.

If all goes well, Penninger said there could be a drug ready for market by early next year.

[It's good of course, and may well become one of the best ... but, I can't help wondering why he did not start immediately and is not far ahead of the others, some of whom are nearing the end of 3rd stage (final) trials for vaccines ]

Will APN01 be ready in Canada at that time or just in general?

cc

Not sure. This one is totally new to me .. a surprise out of the blue.

I'm still confused on elements of this one as I alluded to above, but will be seeking info

Just thinking out loud, if Sars had continued longer, we might have been looking at a whole other thing with Covid .. in that we would have been far closer to the end zone right from the start .. as everything on Sars research ended when Sars ended

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=384202 time=1601087240 user_id=88
Not sure. This one is totally new to me .. a surprise out of the blue.

I'm still confused on elements of this one as I alluded to above, but will be seeking info

Just thinking out loud, if Sars had continued longer, we might have been looking at a whole other thing with Covid .. in that we would have been far closer to the end zone right from the start .. as everything on Sars research ended when Sars ended

SARS devastated Taiwan....and they learned from it..

Taiwan was well stocked with PPE and had a plan in place to quickly respond to a pandemic..

I was trying to explain to caskur that lock downs were a last resort because Western countries were unprepared..

That isn't a judgment on the West, they weren't hit with SARS like some countries in East Asia were.

cc

True, and I understand. That explains why y'all were better prepared with equipment, knowledge, training and public cooperation

Seems people have to be hit directly before they learn, eh?

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=384215 time=1601090713 user_id=88
True, and I understand. That explains why y'all were better prepared with equipment, knowledge, training and public cooperation

Seems people have to be hit directly before they learn, eh?

In all fairness, Taiwan had many years between SARS and COVID to prepare..

Western countries have not had time to prepare and react..

So, they go back to lock downs or restrictions.

cc

Yes. It still comes down to human nature, especially as it has evolved in the West

We learn from what "we experience" and not from what others experienced .. and we are paying the price now for not learning from what happened to others

To the subject further on medicine, had they continued with a Sars solution we would have had a major jump start

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=384218 time=1601091361 user_id=88
Yes. It still comes down to human nature, especially as it has evolved in the West

We learn from what "we experience" and not from what others experienced .. and we are paying the price now for not learning from what happened to others

To the subject further on medicine, had they continued with a Sars solution we would have had a major jump start

That would've been wonderful.

cc

Yes, and we also should have learned and prepared from what happened to others in the past .. something politicians don't care for as they are what they are for only a limited period of time .. so don't do anything for people 10 or 20 years after any given day unless they can make it  a gainful immediate item like climate