News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10566
Total votes: : 4

Last post: October 06, 2024, 10:32:53 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Shen Li

COVID-19 >> New Drug Activity & VACCINE TRACKING!!

Started by cc, January 26, 2020, 09:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 16 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=404485 time=1615174481 user_id=3254
Fluvoxamine lloks very promising as a treatment.

And it's cheap too. I read about it today.

cc

Yes, it is

You know, I bin thinkin ...  I wonder if there is data on the vacced, male vs. female .. well it's there, but I wonder if anyone has bothered to separate it male vs female totals

I say that as while I do know some females are anti & can be stubborn & "You ain't tellin me what to do" .. but macho can play a role in many things in insecure males

Dunno, I'll search a bit & see if I can find something on it
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

cc

Quote from: cc post_id=425392 time=1635476567 user_id=88
Yes, it is

You know, I bin thinkin ...  I wonder if there is data on the vacced, male vs. female .. well it's there, but I wonder if anyone has bothered to separate it male vs female totals

I say that as while I do know some females are anti & can be stubborn & "You ain't tellin me what to do" .. but macho can play a role in many things in insecure males

Well I'll be danged!!

Mary Ann Steiner drove 2½ hours from her home in the St. Louis suburb of University City to the tiny Ozark town of Centerville, Missouri, to get vaccinated against covid-19. After pulling into the drive-thru line in a church parking lot, she noticed that the others waiting for shots had something in common with her.

"Everyone in the very short line was a woman," said Steiner, 70.

Her observation reflects a national reality: More women than men are getting covid vaccines, even as more men are dying of the disease. KHN examined vaccination dashboards for all 50 states and the District of Columbia in early April and found that each of the 38 that listed gender breakdowns showed more women had received shots than men.

Public health experts cited many reasons for the difference, including that women make up three-quarters of the workforce in health care and education, sectors prioritized for initial vaccines. Women's longer life spans also mean that older people in the first rounds of vaccine eligibility were more likely to be female. But as eligibility expands to all adults, the gap has continued. Experts point to women's roles as caregivers and their greater likelihood to seek out preventive health care in general as contributing factors.

In Steiner's case, her daughter spent hours on the phone and computer, scoping out and setting up vaccine appointments for five relatives. "In my family, the women are about a million times more proactive" about getting a covid vaccine, Steiner said. "The females in families are often the ones who are more proactive about the health of the family."

A handful of states report gender vaccination statistics over time. That data shows the gap has narrowed but hasn't disappeared as vaccine eligibility has expanded beyond people in long-term care and health care workers.

In Kentucky, for instance, 64% of residents who had received at least one dose of vaccine by early February were women and 36% were men. As of early April, the stats had shifted to 57% women and 43% men.

As of early April, statistics showed the vaccine breakdown between women and men was generally close to 60% and 40% — women made up 58% of those vaccinated in Alabama and 57% in Florida, for example.

Gender Gap Narrows for Covid Vaccines

In Kentucky, the gap between genders for those who have received their first covid vaccine dose has shrunk as vaccine eligibility has broadened from the initial categories of older adults and health care workers.

In Rhode Island — one of the states furthest along in rolling out the vaccines, with nearly a quarter of the population fully vaccinated — the gap has narrowed from 30 percentage points (65% women and 35% men) the week of Dec. 13 to 18 points (59% women and 41% men) the week of March 21.

A few states break the numbers down by age as well as gender, revealing that the male-female difference persists across age groups. In South Carolina, for example, the gender breakdown of vaccine recipients as of April 4 was slightly wider for younger people: 61% of vaccinated people ages 25-34 were women compared with 57% female for age 65 and older.

Decades of research have documented how and why men are less likely to seek care. A 2019 study in the American Journal of Men's Health, for example, examined health care use in religious heterosexual men and concluded masculine norms — such as a perception that they are supposed to be tough — were the main reason many men avoided seeking care.

Attitudes about the covid pandemic and the vaccines also affect who gets the shots.

There's more - https://khn.org/news/article/gender-vaccine-gap-more-women-than-men-vaccinated-against-covid/">https://khn.org/news/article/gender-vac ... nst-covid/">https://khn.org/news/article/gender-vaccine-gap-more-women-than-men-vaccinated-against-covid/

Anonymous

Yes, it is

I'm guessing it's young males who are the least likely to get vaccinated.

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=425395 time=1635476880 user_id=88
Yes, it is

Well I'll be danged!!

Mary Ann Steiner drove 2½ hours from her home in the St. Louis suburb of University City to the tiny Ozark town of Centerville, Missouri, to get vaccinated against covid-19. After pulling into the drive-thru line in a church parking lot, she noticed that the others waiting for shots had something in common with her.

"Everyone in the very short line was a woman," said Steiner, 70.

Her observation reflects a national reality: More women than men are getting covid vaccines, even as more men are dying of the disease. KHN examined vaccination dashboards for all 50 states and the District of Columbia in early April and found that each of the 38 that listed gender breakdowns showed more women had received shots than men.

Public health experts cited many reasons for the difference, including that women make up three-quarters of the workforce in health care and education, sectors prioritized for initial vaccines. Women's longer life spans also mean that older people in the first rounds of vaccine eligibility were more likely to be female. But as eligibility expands to all adults, the gap has continued. Experts point to women's roles as caregivers and their greater likelihood to seek out preventive health care in general as contributing factors.

In Steiner's case, her daughter spent hours on the phone and computer, scoping out and setting up vaccine appointments for five relatives. "In my family, the women are about a million times more proactive" about getting a covid vaccine, Steiner said. "The females in families are often the ones who are more proactive about the health of the family."

A handful of states report gender vaccination statistics over time. That data shows the gap has narrowed but hasn't disappeared as vaccine eligibility has expanded beyond people in long-term care and health care workers.

In Kentucky, for instance, 64% of residents who had received at least one dose of vaccine by early February were women and 36% were men. As of early April, the stats had shifted to 57% women and 43% men.

As of early April, statistics showed the vaccine breakdown between women and men was generally close to 60% and 40% — women made up 58% of those vaccinated in Alabama and 57% in Florida, for example.

Gender Gap Narrows for Covid Vaccines

In Kentucky, the gap between genders for those who have received their first covid vaccine dose has shrunk as vaccine eligibility has broadened from the initial categories of older adults and health care workers.

In Rhode Island — one of the states furthest along in rolling out the vaccines, with nearly a quarter of the population fully vaccinated — the gap has narrowed from 30 percentage points (65% women and 35% men) the week of Dec. 13 to 18 points (59% women and 41% men) the week of March 21.

A few states break the numbers down by age as well as gender, revealing that the male-female difference persists across age groups. In South Carolina, for example, the gender breakdown of vaccine recipients as of April 4 was slightly wider for younger people: 61% of vaccinated people ages 25-34 were women compared with 57% female for age 65 and older.

Decades of research have documented how and why men are less likely to seek care. A 2019 study in the American Journal of Men's Health, for example, examined health care use in religious heterosexual men and concluded masculine norms — such as a perception that they are supposed to be tough — were the main reason many men avoided seeking care.

Attitudes about the covid pandemic and the vaccines also affect who gets the shots.

There's more - https://khn.org/news/article/gender-vaccine-gap-more-women-than-men-vaccinated-against-covid/">https://khn.org/news/article/gender-vac ... nst-covid/">https://khn.org/news/article/gender-vaccine-gap-more-women-than-men-vaccinated-against-covid/

And this confirms it.

cc

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=425396 time=1635476977 user_id=3254

Logically that makes much sense

That said, I'm guessing  elders who read and hear of the dangers with age are more likely to be smart

And the smarter males learn in time to use macho to their advantage .. while the not so smart  & youngers tend to use it to their disadvantage

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=425398 time=1635477640 user_id=88
Quote from: Fashionista post_id=425396 time=1635476977 user_id=3254

Logically that makes much sense

That said, I'm guessing  elders who read and hear of the dangers with age are more likely to be smart

And the smarter males learn in time to use macho to their advantage .. while the not so smart  & youngers tend to use it to their disadvantage

And in Alberta, rural areas are less likely to be vaccinated..

There is an area in the far North of the province and another in the far South that are only about forty per cent fully vaccinated..

Both areas are very sparsely populated.

cc

Yes, another major factor .. That part is the same here

Anonymous

Good. We need a variety of treatments.

Anonymous

Researchers from the U.S., Canada, and Brazil believe fluvoxamine can effectively treat COVID-19 because of the drug's anti-inflammatory properties and may reduce blood platelets.

"Fluvoxamine may reduce the production of inflammatory molecules called cytokines, that can be triggered by SARS-CoV-2 infection," Dr. Angela Reiersen, an associate professor of psychiatry at Washington University in St. Louis who worked on the study, said.

cc

Yes. Fluvoxamine  was reported. It sounds very solid

Also cheap and readily available

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=425426 time=1635521285 user_id=88
Yes. Fluvoxamine  was reported. It sounds very solid

Also cheap and readily available

I see there has been quite a few posts about it. As Joe would say, oh well.

cc

Anonymous

As far as I know, Alberta is only offering third doses to immunocompromised individuals and older Albertans living in supportive living facilities.

cc

You will find they get on it in Alberts. Our health people were dodling until a week ago  .. then got rolling bigtime .. and Canada now has lots of it on hand .. it will start to happen very soon

The person I am responsible for in care home got her # 3 last Sunday & because I' visit and take her out a lot they just asked me - so I'm scheduled for Friday .. a pleasant surprise

She was a long time away from her second shot (Feb) so I stopped taking her to restaurants temporarily in fact, but I was only 5 months so was very surprised when I got email invite so soon .. I guess because it also helps protect her as I am more out and about