News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 8416
Total votes: : 3

Last post: July 02, 2024, 02:46:34 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

A

Are there By-Laws in place where you live?

Started by Anonymous, February 01, 2020, 06:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

A recent story about a Creston man getting hassled for letting his disabled daughter live in an RV on his acreage has led me to question this once again...

Link here:  https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/trailer-creston-woman-family-fifth-wheel-andrea-1.5446349">https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5446349">https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/trailer-creston-woman-family-fifth-wheel-andrea-1.5446349

I live in the Regional District of Central Kootenay also, but where I live there are no By-Laws.  None.

I wanted to move away from the Strata control of my condo, and as such did my homework in this regard...  There are very few places left in BC without By-Laws.  

I live in one of them.  And can do as I want, provided I don't break criminal code law.

While this house is driving my nuts, and depleting my funds, I can state with authority that I can do whatever the fuck I want to do with this property...

Anonymous

I live pretty rural now, but even a few miles North of me, and a few miles South of me, have By-Laws also.  I don't...  Not here.

I have a commercial vehicle which I park in my yard, which is why I checked before I bought this dump...

Still, this is a great neighbourhood!  One neighbour loves my old Kenworth, and the other maybe not so much!   :laugh:

caskur

Quote from: "Mel"

I live in the Regional District of Central Kootenay also, but where I live there are no By-Laws. None.

You say that as if that's never going to change....

WRONG.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Quote from: "caskur"

I live in the Regional District of Central Kootenay also, but where I live there are no By-Laws. None.

WRONG.

It will definitely change.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"

WRONG.

It will definitely change.

You got that right.

Anonymous

I'm not saying that it can't, or won't, change here...  Might be difficult to implement that though, since this area is unincorporated.

I think things work OK here, the way they are.  Truly problematic people would most likely get run outta town here, to be honest...

caskur

Quote from: "Mel"I'm not saying that it can't, or won't, change here...  Might be difficult to implement that though, since this area is unincorporated.

I think things work OK here, the way they are.  Truly problematic people would most likely get run outta town here, to be honest...

Is unincorporated the same as "Crown Land"
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Quote from: "caskur"Is unincorporated the same as "Crown Land"

No.  In Canada, Crown Land is 'generally' publicly accessible land owned by the Gov...

An unincorporated town, like where I live, means that there are no local, or even regional, bodies governing it, even though private land ownership works the same way as it does across the entire country.

Anonymous

Oz being so vast, you must have a similar equivalent for those living out of city limits...

caskur

Quote from: "Mel"Oz being so vast, you must have a similar equivalent for those living out of city limits...

I don't think so... we just have crown land as far as I know and squatters camps occupy some of it. I don't know everything about our laws though.
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mel"Oz being so vast, you must have a similar equivalent for those living out of city limits...

I don't think so... we just have crown land as far as I know and squatters camps occupy some of it. I don't know everything about our laws though.

Australia has unincorporated areas, but they are in remote locations.

Anonymous

Herman is right, they do exist in OZ, but not very common...

It does seem like unincorporated areas are much more common in the US/Canada though, than in other countries...  Many Euro nations don't even really have such a concept, but they generally all have a higher population density also.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mel"Herman is right, they do exist in OZ, but not very common...

It does seem like unincorporated areas are much more common in the US/Canada though, than in other countries...  Many Euro nations don't even really have such a concept, but they generally all have a higher population density also.

I haven't heard of it in East Asia.

Anonymous

I don't believe a similar concept exists there...

Anonymous

I don't believe a similar concept exists there...

Probably not.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Is Alticus a dick sucking fairy? (answer is opposite of no):
Is the "D" in Django silent? Yes or No? (must be lower case):
spell bacon backwards with the first letter capitalized:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview