The best topic

Replies: 10548
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 02:15:04 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

COVID-19 >>"True and Helpful" Covid Information Thread

Started by cc, March 13, 2020, 04:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Almost one in four Canadian respondents to a new online survey said they had been infected with COVID-19.

Christian Bourque, executive vice-president of Leger — which conducted the poll with the Association for Canadian Studies — noted that the rate of reported infection sat higher than what official data has suggested.

Thirty per cent of respondents aged 18 to 34 said they had been infected with COVID-19, while 12 per cent of those 55 years and older had contracted the disease.

Anonymous

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=447527 time=1650492350 user_id=114
Hospitals across Canada are facing a resurgence of patients with COVID-19 that some health officials say will likely continue for another month.

The latest data from the Public Health Agency of Canada shows hospitalizations due to COVID-19 rose about 18 per cent across Canada between April 4 and April 11 — to 6,020 people needing beds.

In the last week, the Prairies, Ontario, Quebec and Nova Scotia have all reported an increase in hospitalizations from the virus and intensive care admissions have also inched slightly upwards in some provinces.

Latest data shows there were 1,053 hospitalizations in Alberta, 403 in Saskatchewan, 158 in Manitoba, 1,301 in Ontario, 2,220 in Quebec and 59 in Nova Scotia.

Dr. Eddy Lang, department head of emergency medicine in Calgary for Alberta Health Services, said the province is in its sixth wave of the pandemic fuelled by the BA. 2 sub-variant of Omicron, but it's not as dramatic as the original Omicron surge.

Cases are increasing and hospitalizations are up a bit..

But, the number of people in ICU is not going up much.....yet anyway.

Anonymous

Alberta's cases over the past week.

April 12: 1017 cases

April 13: 1036 cases

April 14: 1020 cases

April 15: 858 cases

April 16: 741 cases

April 17: 639 cases

April 18: 814 cases

There are 1,126 In hospital and 43 In intensive care.

Anonymous

Wastewater signal showing signs sixth wave is peaking in much of Canada.

cc

All Western Provinces are back-dating, especially here, Man, & Sask - so we are getting virtually no helpful info

Today BC posted 1,517 for week  April 10 > April 16 .. Hospitalizations up 1/3 past week to 485 (that is current and I got from other than formal Covid Info page

Now, even knowing cases are more plentiful than stats show, people used to be able to  compare increase / decrease. They are giving vulnerable people very little if even anything to use to make decisions with ( old data)

If they would give us layman's  wastewater info such that one can see tend over time & fresh data, that would give people something upon which to base decisions
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

The one number I look at is the number of people in ICU.....it's down in Alberta.

cc

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=447704 time=1650605073 user_id=3254
The one number I look at is the number of people in ICU.....it's down in Alberta.

They both matter & demonstrate severity - but ICUs remained the same for us even though hospitalizations were up 1/3  

does speak to severity of current flavor

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=447715 time=1650644606 user_id=88
Quote from: Fashionista post_id=447704 time=1650605073 user_id=3254

They both matter & demonstrate severity - but ICUs remained the same for us even though hospitalizations were up 1/3  

does speak to severity of current flavor

This variant is a cold for most people.

cc

True for many, but it's not something to sneeze at / "blow-off"

Quebec has 2,400+ people in hospital with it as we speak

Many are dying in every province and country .. Canada well over 400 this week alone

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=447724 time=1650649266 user_id=88

Many are dying in every province and country .. Canada well over 400 this week alone

The people hospitalized are probably going to emergency, see a doctor and then go home.

cc

Quote from: Herman post_id=447747 time=1650686287 user_id=1689
Quote from: cc post_id=447724 time=1650649266 user_id=88

The people hospitalized are probably going to emergency, see a doctor and then go home.

Whatever made you think that, Herm?

Hospitals do not record Emerg patients as hospitalized ... That takes official admission

I know everyone "wants" to think this is nothing and over  and I'm a wet blanket

I'm a pragmatist, don't look at things as I'd "like them to be" (and try to make them   as I'd like them to be) ....

rather,  I look at, allow all possibilities  and accept  and and allow that Que Será, Será

Anonymous

I thought if you went to a hospital for five minites, five hours or five days, it's considered hospitalized.

cc

When I went to emerg for pneumonia in 2020  .. from 3pm > 12AM & my tag said "Emerg"

After admission to hospital at midnight it I was given a new one "Patient" + Room #"

If Emerg counted as a hospitalization, we would never have had hospitals full of people ... which we have often had throughout this mess

They are 2 separate animals - Emerg is to either get a minor repair or to be assessed if hospitalization is needed

Anonymous

Emerg is not considered hospitalized?

They receive the same treatments as anyone else..

Seems strange that it's not considered hospitalized.

cc

Here's an interesting one > https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/omicron-immunity-canada-covd19-vaccines-1.6428536">Almost half of Canadians may have caught COVID

Canada's COVID-19 immunity landscape has completely transformed since the emergence of Omicron — with new estimates suggesting that almost half of the population has been infected.

Researchers in B.C. analyzed thousands of blood samples in the Lower Mainland throughout the pandemic to track antibody levels in the general population, and found a massive shift in the level of infection in the past few months.

The B.C. data, provided in advance to CBC News, found close to 40 per cent of the population had antibodies from a previous infection in March, up from around 10 per cent in October. That number is even higher in children under 10, with nearly two-thirds now showing evidence of prior infection.

"Think about that — two out of three children," said Dr. Danuta Skowronski, a vaccine effectiveness expert and epidemiology lead at the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control who led the research.

"Wow, something really dramatically changed and I think we know the name of that change ... it's Omicron."

"We cannot say that this is an indication of protection or being exempt from future infections, especially when new variants arise. But a primed person is immunologically a prepared person."

While the data is preliminary and has yet to be peer reviewed or published, it is in line with emerging data from other provinces, like Ontario, where official estimates now show as much as 40 per cent of the population was infected with COVID-19 since December alone.

"We have had millions of infections in the last few months, most of them undocumented," said Dr. David Naylor, who led the federal inquiry into the 2003 SARS epidemic and now co-chairs the federal government's COVID-19 immunity task force.

Canada has become a variant magnet

Canada's COVID-19 immunity landscape is one of the most complex in the world due to our high vaccination rates, widespread transmission, delaying and mixing of doses and the fact we've been a magnet for variants — often with multiple circulating at once.

But does the protection we've gained from vaccines, prior infection and combined hybrid immunity mean the worst is behind us? Or could waning immunity to infection, the spread of new variants or some other pandemic curveball threaten another surge in the future?

"If there's a future variant that has infective advantages over Omicron, we can expect it to arrive and spread here," Naylor said. "That much is obvious from the last two years. SARS-CoV-2 goes pretty much everywhere at a brisk clip."