Replies: 10314
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 05:20:34 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Marvin

A

Systemic Racisn Eh? Nigerin Immigrants Are Doing Very Well In The US

Started by Anonymous, July 13, 2020, 05:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li" post_id=371112 time=1594633836 user_id=56
My guess is they aren't looting black owned businesses either.

QuoteToday, 61 percent of Nigerian-Americans over the age of 25 hold a graduate degree, compared to 32 percent for the U.S.-born population, according to the Migration Policy Institute. Among Nigerian-American professionals, 45 percent work in education services, the 2016 American Community Survey found, and many are professors at top universities. Nigerians are entering the medical field in the U.S. at an increased rate, leaving their home country to work in American hospitals, where they can earn more and work in better facilities. A growing number of Nigerian-Americans are becoming entrepreneurs and CEOs, building tech companies in the U.S. to help people back home.

So called systemic racism hasn't stopped Nigerian-Americans from creating jobs, treating patients, teaching students and contributing to local communities in their new home, all while confidently emerging as one of the country's most succesful immigrant communities, with a median household income of $62,351, compared to $57,617 nationally, as of 2015.

https://www.ozy.com/around-the-world/the-most-successful-ethnic-group-in-the-u-s-may-surprise-you/86885/">https://www.ozy.com/around-the-world/th ... you/86885/">https://www.ozy.com/around-the-world/the-most-successful-ethnic-group-in-the-u-s-may-surprise-you/86885/

I lived and worked in Nigeria. It is a country where conning people is respected. But, Nigerians value education and they aint afraid of working hard to get what they want out of life.

Anonymous

cc

My take on that whole issue in general:

I have a hold-back feeling when I hear of people from 3rd and 4th world places doing well here

I can't help thinking, why are they not back home helping their people who desperately need them?

I would call it exceedingly selfish and say they obviously don't give a damn about those stuck in the country who so desperately need good people as medics, in business or govt

Further, I am always appalled that we take the bright ones from where they are needed.

Of course it works for us but is selfish and destructive to the country they come from - We should be better than that

Bottom line, our govt doesn't give a damn about those countries

If they come for education, fine, that's great. My beef is how they soon  forget their countrymen & do not use their skills for their people who REALLY need it and to help build their country
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=371198 time=1594675258 user_id=88

I have a hold-back feeling when I hear of people from 3rd and 4th world places doing well here

I can't help thinking, why are they not back home helping their people who desperately need them?

I would call it exceedingly selfish and say they obviously don't give a damn about those stuck in the country who so desperately need good people as medics, in business or govt

Further, I am always appalled that we take the bright ones from where they are needed.

Of course it works for us but is selfish and destructive to the country they come from - We should be better than that

If they come for education, fine, that's great. My beef is how they soon  forget their countrymen & do not use their skills for their people who REALLY need it and to help build their country

That isn't to say that people from countries like Nigeria that prosper in the West aren't helping their country of birth..

I believe Nigeria is now the largest economy in Africa..

It was overseas Taiwane/Chinese that invested in Taiwan's economy in the 1950's and 1960's that allowed Taiwan to have the capital to be a prosperous and democratic developed nation today.

Anonymous

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=371211 time=1594702384 user_id=3254

That isn't to say that people from countries like Nigeria that prosper in the West aren't helping their country of birth..

It was overseas Taiwane/Chinese that invested in Taiwan's economy in the 1950's and 1960's that allowed Taiwan to have the capital to be a prosperous and democratic developed nation today.

Nigerians abroad are investing at home. But, Nigeria aint Taiwan. Corruption is endemic.

Anonymous

It seems like every thread here turns into a Mel Thread.  I don't even have to do anything...

Just my apparent presence (which may or may not even be me) generates most of the posts in this sub.

Hell, even Renee returned just for this reason!  Which is odd, since I don't really care much about her either way...

And now the resident Kike has made it some kind of mission to "catch me" like I'm a 130 year old SS officer that escaped the Nuremburg Trials.

I would like to think that this dump is at least comical, but it's not...  It's a sad joke, really.  With sad people.

Anonymous

Quote from: Herman post_id=371215 time=1594703277 user_id=1689
Quote from: Fashionista post_id=371211 time=1594702384 user_id=3254

Nigerians abroad are investing at home. But, Nigeria aint Taiwan. Corruption is endemic.

With greater education, corruption will become less of a problem.

Anonymous

Quote from: Mel post_id=371245 time=1594721644
It seems like every thread here turns into a Mel Thread.  I don't even have to do anything...

I had noticed they tend to talk about you when your back is turned and quite often ignore you when you show up.

Get back to me when they start erecting sites in your honour and send Thanos in a frilly pink tutu out to sing your praises at every opportunity.

Anonymous

Quote from: Guest post_id=371264 time=1594733901

I had noticed they tend to talk about you when your back is turned and quite often ignore you when you show up.

Get back to me when they start erecting sites in your honour and send Thanos in a frilly pink tutu out to sing your praises at every opportunity.

Mel who?

This thread is about Nigerians success as immigrants.

Renee

Just my apparent presence (which may or may not even be me) generates most of the posts in this sub.

Hell, even Renee returned just for this reason!  Which is odd, since I don't really care much about her either way...

And now the resident Kike has made it some kind of mission to "catch me" like I'm a 130 year old SS officer that escaped the Nuremburg Trials.

I would like to think that this dump is at least comical, but it's not...  It's a sad joke, really.  With sad people.

I didn't return for you Mel. I returned out of lockdown boredom and I will probably disappear again soon enough.

But while I'm here and while you insist on making an ass out of yourself, I will continue to kick you in the crotch every chance I get....Why???... Because you deserve it and mostly because I'm a bully and it's fun to pick on inferiors... :laugh3:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Ahem.

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=371270 time=1594736067 user_id=3254

Mel who?

Derailment is as derailment does. But okay... were you aware that "Nigerin" immigrants stereotypical height stand them in good stead as basketball players?

Plus they make good scam artists. Both top notch attributes for getting ahead in a sports-mad capitalist society.

Renee

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=371270 time=1594736067 user_id=3254

Mel who?

Oh so it is a serious thread....

Then WTF is it doing in the "rejected" pile?
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

kiebers

Quote from: Renee post_id=371275 time=1594740256 user_id=156

I guess Shen wanted the guest posters and Mel to be able to post.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Anonymous

Quote from: kiebers post_id=371280 time=1594744170 user_id=193

I post the odd serious thread in this sub for that reason.

cc

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=371298 time=1594752528 user_id=114
Quote from: kiebers post_id=371280 time=1594744170 user_id=193

I post the odd serious thread in this sub for that reason.

Good plan for more interaction

I post a lot of "odd" stuff myself  ac_smile
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Is the "D" in Django silent? Yes or No? (must be lower case):
911 was an attack on what city (spell out lower case two words):
Is Alticus a dick sucking fairy? (answer is opposite of no):
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview