The best topic

Replies: 10401
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:19:55 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Challenge: Lightweight portable UV resistant fully enclosed shelter

Started by Frood, July 23, 2020, 02:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Frood

Fully enclosed, no bigger than two six foot tall grown men with a cooler full of drinks between them, while fishing in 40+ Celsius days and nights, but with a clear window facing the waters edge and the ability to jump up and exit if we get a hit on our lines.

The roof and sides must be UV resistant, it must be relatively airtight, and it can't compromise field of vision or be too reliant on finding the exit point in the dark.

Ideally, it must also be quick to set up and pack down, and be able to be attached to a small collapsible carton trolley with the coolers and fishing gear (ie. The coolers have grog in them and if I have to drive us to the shore, I have to not get accosted by cops or park rangers because of my blood alcohol content..) lulz...

The reason for all this is my battery powered/solar powered rotary engined condenser AC finally arrived after more than 15 months of waiting , and I want to use it as efficiently as possible in the heat of summer's day close to deep channels or at night when it goes down to 30-35C but the insects go apeshit...  

This is what I've considered;

1. 2x2m popup awning with a section of clear vinyl table type fabric on the front face, a tiny LED light near the zipper of a side face to allow for quick reaction at night.

2. 2 x dome tent fiberglass tent poles lashed to two sets of trees, UV resistant tarp on the top, clear bit of plastic wrapped around the outside with a vertical slit for entering/exiting and an added bit of plastic taped to the slit to prevent nasties from coming in...

3. Store bought and designed "spectator shelter" that are overpriced if you want quality or reasonable room.

4. Using my existing rear tub/canopy 3 walled sun shade extension and applying clear vinyl plastic over the rear facing section with clamps or magnets along the edges (exit from the side w/led tiny light illuminating at night time.) This would require me to operate a motor vehicle though... but I might be able to just tape another piece of plastic, tarp, or vinyl on the vehicle attachment section, and do away with the actual vehicle.... still it's a lot of mucking about at 4 am when you're pissed and have to walk a couple of k's back...

5. A big roll of industrial cling wrap (Saran Wrap) wrapped between 3-4 trees and a poncho chucked on the top.

6. Instant foldable popup tent, IR cameras with Bluetooth to a tablet inside the tent.

Backyard engineers of BC... What do you think?

Herman is a rigging sort of fella... Zetsu I believe is into air conditioning or plumbing or both...

Zetsu: if you want to contemplate this, I've got 2300 BTU's but I obviously want to conserve power usage yet sit upright with enough space to relax for two people with gear.

Mel, you double belly buttoned mofo... I'd even entertain your thoughts since you as a trucker have an inkling about spaces and thermal...
Blahhhhhh...

Frood

Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=372492 time=1595527883 user_id=1676
Of what or which?

Sorry, I didn't read it all..

ac_blush

I thought you meant an existing product.

Anonymous

We've had more rain than usual this year. Mosquitoes are really thick. I need a net around me when I am working around the farm.

Frood

Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=372528 time=1595553616 user_id=1676
Big ones the size of sparrows?

We don't have big mosquitoes..

Millions of small ones though.

Anonymous

Quote from: Herman post_id=372504 time=1595536741 user_id=1689
We've had more rain than usual this year. Mosquitoes are really thick. I need a net around me when I am working around the farm.

You can't sit out close to sunset where I live. Swarms of mosquitos will suck every last drop of your blood.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=372488 time=1595527397 user_id=1676
Fully enclosed, no bigger than two six foot tall grown men with a cooler full of drinks between them, while fishing in 40+ Celsius days and nights, but with a clear window facing the waters edge and the ability to jump up and exit if we get a hit on our lines.

The roof and sides must be UV resistant, it must be relatively airtight, and it can't compromise field of vision or be too reliant on finding the exit point in the dark.

Ideally, it must also be quick to set up and pack down, and be able to be attached to a small collapsible carton trolley with the coolers and fishing gear (ie. The coolers have grog in them and if I have to drive us to the shore, I have to not get accosted by cops or park rangers because of my blood alcohol content..) lulz...

The reason for all this is my battery powered/solar powered rotary engined condenser AC finally arrived after more than 15 months of waiting , and I want to use it as efficiently as possible in the heat of summer's day close to deep channels or at night when it goes down to 30-35C but the insects go apeshit...  

This is what I've considered;

1. 2x2m popup awning with a section of clear vinyl table type fabric on the front face, a tiny LED light near the zipper of a side face to allow for quick reaction at night.

2. 2 x dome tent fiberglass tent poles lashed to two sets of trees, UV resistant tarp on the top, clear bit of plastic wrapped around the outside with a vertical slit for entering/exiting and an added bit of plastic taped to the slit to prevent nasties from coming in...

3. Store bought and designed "spectator shelter" that are overpriced if you want quality or reasonable room.

4. Using my existing rear tub/canopy 3 walled sun shade extension and applying clear vinyl plastic over the rear facing section with clamps or magnets along the edges (exit from the side w/led tiny light illuminating at night time.) This would require me to operate a motor vehicle though... but I might be able to just tape another piece of plastic, tarp, or vinyl on the vehicle attachment section, and do away with the actual vehicle.... still it's a lot of mucking about at 4 am when you're pissed and have to walk a couple of k's back...

5. A big roll of industrial cling wrap (Saran Wrap) wrapped between 3-4 trees and a poncho chucked on the top.

6. Instant foldable popup tent, IR cameras with Bluetooth to a tablet inside the tent.

Backyard engineers of BC... What do you think?

Herman is a rigging sort of fella... Zetsu I believe is into air conditioning or plumbing or both...

Zetsu: if you want to contemplate this, I've got 2300 BTU's but I obviously want to conserve power usage yet sit upright with enough space to relax for two people with gear.

Mel, you double belly buttoned mofo... I'd even entertain your thoughts since you as a trucker have an inkling about spaces and thermal...

You are a creative man Dinky.

Frood

Blahhhhhh...

Frood

Think I'll settle on this one.

270 degree field of view, SPF 50 rated, and has a ventilation window out the back where the vent and intake assembly could be zipped snug... probably propped on an upside down 50 litre crate.

https://i.postimg.cc/6pWLZGkd/Screenshot-20200725-235015-Chrome.jpg">

Could have rigged something up but there would still be holes for insects and snakes to get in.
Blahhhhhh...

cc

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=372632 time=1595605897 user_id=114

You can't sit out close to sunset where I live. Swarms of mosquitos will suck every last drop of your blood.

Don't want to make others jelly, but we have virtually none out here on the south coast.

Herm, I believe you also get "No-see-ems". Encountered them on reserve in  Qu'Appelle Valley reserve above Broadview
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=372696 time=1595699909 user_id=88
Quote from: seoulbro post_id=372632 time=1595605897 user_id=114

Don't want to make others jelly, but we have virtually none out here on the south coast.

Herm, I believe you also get "No-see-ems". Encountered them on reserve in  Qu'Appelle Valley reserve above Broadview

You are mosquito free where you live cc?

:ohmy:

Taiwan has more mosquitos than any place I've ever been..

People turn down their AC to uncomfortably cold temperatures to keep mosquitoes away.

cc

Must be the nature of our corner .. few if any swamps or even fresh water for that matter (salt water on 3 sides, but they can't breed in that)

Few flies also. I have never used window screens here. Might get a 1/2 dozen bees and / or wasps a year coming in is about it

AC is rare here as temps might get uncomfortable for a week or 2 in a hot summer but nothing a temporary fan won't cure, so windows are always open from spring to fall

I lived in Lethbridge a while so know how hot and mosquito-filled S. Alberta can be
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=372705 time=1595711847 user_id=88
Must be the nature of our corner .. few if any swamps or even fresh water for that matter

Few flies also. I have never used window screens here. Might get a 1/2 dozen bees and / or wasps a year coming in is about it

AC is rare here as temps might get uncomfortable for a week or 2 in a hot summer but nothing a temporary fan won't cure, so windows are always open from spring to fall

I lived in Lethbridge a while so know how hot and mosquito-filled S. Alberta can be

The only place in Barrie that isn't infested with mosquitoes in the summer is along Lake Simcoe. Everywhere else means carrying bug repellent in your vehicle.

And AC in my condo is a must from the end of May until at least mid September.