Replies: 10314
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 05:20:34 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Marvin

A

Found an abandoned mine today...

Started by Anonymous, August 03, 2020, 01:20:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 12 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Frood

Quote from: Mel post_id=374128 time=1596605732
Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=373985 time=1596539418 user_id=1676
Shush, child... you're talking to a former North American resident who regularly got 2-3 metre drifts overnight and mastered the art of a second story roof slide for the morning dig outs.

I am the snow monster. You are just a pitiful little transplant try hard...

I'm not sure what you are trying to imply, but I stand by my statement.  I'm not knocking Tasmania, as it seems like a beautiful place, but you cannot compare Tasmania and Canada when it comes to snow packs.

Not uncommon for mountains here to top 10,000 ft ASL.  Tasmania tops out at half that.  On top of that, Tasmania has higher Winter temps.  You can't compare the two.  Shit, Tasmania rarely even sees snow at lower elevations where most people live, whereas that's a reality here for sometimes months at a time.

Look Dinky...  There's a reason many of our ski hills are staffed by younger Ozzies.  You know why they are staffed by Ozzies?  Because they want real snow so they can do real skiing!  Trust me, they don't come here for the piss-poor Canadian wages!

No you don't, worm. I never said Tasmania gets more snow. In fact, I pointed that out in the OP. What Tasmania gets however is a lot of precipitation and the picture you posted is a lot like Tasmanian rivers and creeks.

Yet water is toxic in some towns from mining operations which ceased many decades ago.

Your cited map indicates their would likely be similar concerns with your water.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=374138 time=1596609194 user_id=1676
Your cited map indicates their would likely be similar concerns with your water.

I'm telling you there isn't though.  We drink this water.  The largest city in Western Canada (Vancouver) drinks this water.

Anonymous

You have to envision the flow...  Australia (Tasmania included) doesn't have the flow to perhaps rinse those toxins out into the Ocean.

Here, there is the heavy flow.  All those toxins, if they existed, flushed away!

I'm on well water, as are many people in BC outside of cities.  Some get their water regularly tested, but I don't bother.  If theirs is good, so is mine.  It's not heavy metals that are ever the problem though.  If anything, it's elevated bacteria counts...

Anonymous

What happened to your satellite text device Mr Iroll Solo?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Steve Jobs" post_id=374142 time=1596610257

It's sitting in a box here, but it would be of very little use inside drift mine shafts should the shit hit the fan!

For me to safely explore, I should really have a partner or three, and an oxygen meter...

Frood

Quote from: Mel post_id=374139 time=1596609577
Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=374138 time=1596609194 user_id=1676

I'm telling you there isn't though.  We drink this water.  The largest city in Western Canada (Vancouver) drinks this water.

Heavy metals leech and persist near disused mines.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=374146 time=1596610944 user_id=1676
Heavy metals leech and persist near disused mines.

Then don't drink the water if it's a persisting concern of yours, and drink bottled only...  Little kids used to eat leaded paint chips and play with Mercury out of broken thermometers.  They are fine.

Anonymous

Quote from: Mel post_id=374145 time=1596610452
Quote from: "Steve Jobs" post_id=374142 time=1596610257

It's sitting in a box here, but it would be of very little use inside drift mine shafts should the shit hit the fan!

For me to safely explore, I should really have a partner or three, and an oxygen meter...

If you can still crawl back to the opening your golden. Entering an unknown confined space alone is crazy anyway.

Anonymous

Quote from: Guest post_id=374149 time=1596611332
If you can still crawl back to the opening your golden. Entering an unknown confined space alone is crazy anyway.

I agree.  I've done confined space work in the past, and although I have no specific training, we relied on forced ventilation, oxygen sensors, and a 'watcher' that would summon help should the shit hit the fan.

It is extremely risky to be doing what I am doing, alone, and with not a soul even knowing where I am, and what I'm doing!

Anonymous

Quote from: Mel post_id=374150 time=1596611590
Quote from: Guest post_id=374149 time=1596611332

I agree.  I've done confined space work in the past, and although I have no specific training, we relied on forced ventilation, oxygen sensors, and a 'watcher' that would summon help should the shit hit the fan.

It is extremely risky to be doing what I am doing, alone, and with not a soul even knowing where I am, and what I'm doing!

To be honest, nobody knows or gives a damn where you are or what you're doing 24/7 any where you go.

You could just as easily fall off your dirt bike and get eaten by a bear or scalped by injuns while you lay unconscious and no one would ever know.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Cave of Wonders" post_id=374175 time=1596648947
To be honest, nobody knows or gives a damn where you are or what you're doing 24/7 any where you go.

You could just as easily fall off your dirt bike and get eaten by a bear or scalped by injuns while you lay unconscious and no one would ever know.

I understand that, but ideally people should let others know where they are going...  Even a simple hiking trip goes bad for some people, and their asses often get saved when they fail to return home to wife, who knows what area her frail, weak, and confused husband may be located in...

cc

You could get a dog so that someone or something will know you are missing

I deliberately did not suggest a cat
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=374218 time=1596674489 user_id=88

Good thinking on the cat, it is best that Mel doesn't go down that road again.

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=374218 time=1596674489 user_id=88

What's a dog going to do?  Call 911 and file a missing persons report?

cc

My point was that at least something would miss him

That'a better than a wife who might sit home anxiously awaiting that precious phone call ..  not report him missing ... and in fact answer any calls with "Oh, he's out in the yard. I can see him. He's OK" .. to throw them off a search

I hope you can get some solace knowing that I'd care  .. and miss you
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
911 was an attack on what city (spell out lower case two words):
Is the "D" in Django silent? Yes or No? (must be lower case):
spell bacon backwards with the first letter capitalized:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview