News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10237
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 15, 2024, 10:38:48 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

A

As promised, went back to drift mine today...

Started by Anonymous, August 04, 2020, 11:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 35 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bob Izumi" post_id=374334 time=1596737090
There must be some great trout fishing in the area. I believe Kootenay Lake has massive 30lb trout known as Gerrard trout. You should buy a boat with CERB and go fishing.

Ya, trout seems to be in most of the lakes around here!

Often thought about buying a 12' basic aluminum boat with engine, but not sure how much use it would really get...  They aren't cheap, even the small ones!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ol'Fisheye" post_id=374361 time=1596754308
Good panning spot. Get a pan, some deli beef jerky and 12 beer, good way to spend a hot afternoon. Note the markers in the pic (maybe). If you get a prospectors licence I believe you are still allowed to pack a piece...bonus!

I thought about panning there...  might find some gold dust...  maybe!

And they're not too keen to let many people pack handguns on their hips these days...  You have to literally prove that you're a bona fide trapper or such, and you do that for employment/income.  They want company names, etc.

The .45-70 levergun will just have to suffice!

Anonymous

Quote from: Blazor post_id=374330 time=1596736867 user_id=2221
My dad briefly talked of a cave before he died, that he found long ago. Wish I knew where it was. Said it was by railroad tracks, and that you had to crawl to get in it, but once in, it was HUGE, and that there was a second hole to crawl through, which led to another HUGE cavern. I imagine it would be ideal in the event of some shit going down.

I really think your find was pretty cool  :thumbup:

Around here too there's the rumours of the 'hidden mine' (of course, with the pot of gold hidden at the end also)!   :laugh:

That said, I have no doubt there are forgotten mines in this area!  Not all mine tunnels are at road level.  They would take core samples, and if the sample came back decent, they'd climb up the mountain to drill if they had to!  Hard work.  

They can be hard to see, especially if 100+ years of debris has fallen in front of the opening.

We often think of mines as having big, visible openings...  Maybe even with a fancy structure in front.  Most drift mines are nothing more than a small hole bored into the rock!  Just tall enough for people, and just wide enough for ox carts!

Anonymous

Bet if you headed out to Banjo country in West Virginia, you could probably find some mines out there!  Pic below is from there!

https://i.ibb.co/71ZfKPS/W-Va-coal-mine-1908.jpg">

Frood

A farmer we knew was charging a fee for guided tours of one of the cave systems on his property and it was a blast. Started at hole in the field about the size of an abdomen and ended about a kilometre away. It was like being a worm or snake trying to get through sections of it.....having to angle shoulders and such.

Plenty of cave spiders, bats, and wombat poo...
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Probably couldn't get away with doing that these days...  Liability issues and such.

Frood

About 10 years ago... he had insurance for it...made a good crust too....50 bucks per head, up to 10 people at a pop...
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Surprised it was that recent!  Things that could potentially hurt you are being quickly outlawed in Western nations...  Either by the laws or by liability lawsuits!

Anonymous

Although seat belts were mandated here in the early 1980's, riding in the back of pickups was still allowed.  I think that law changed in the late 1980's here.

So I still remember the time, as kids, where we could still ride in the bed.  And we occasionally did!  We lived through those dangerous times though...

Now the cops will pull you over to make sure your fucking pet Gerbil is safely restrained in the motor vehicle while traveling...

Anonymous

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=374376 time=1596761864 user_id=3254
I will really miss not going once or twice camping in the Kootenays this summer.

:sad:

But, with people with Alberta plates getting their vehicles, and campers vandalized and lug nuts loosened, it's too risky this year.....and I don't mean the pandemic.

You can always park in my yard!  I actually have an RV hookup (powered outlet with a shitter connection into my septic)!    :laugh:

You roll with me here, and you won't get fucked with.

Frood

Quote from: Mel post_id=374482 time=1596792624
Although seat belts were mandated here in the early 1980's, riding in the back of pickups was still allowed.  I think that law changed in the late 1980's here.

So I still remember the time, as kids, where we could still ride in the bed.  And we occasionally did!  We lived through those dangerous times though...

Now the cops will pull you over to make sure your fucking pet Gerbil is safely restrained in the motor vehicle while traveling...

My grandfather always had a 6 pack of beer in his pickup and a can open.... Just sipping as he went. Cops never batted an eyelash.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=374478 time=1596790246 user_id=1676
A farmer we knew was charging a fee for guided tours of one of the cave systems on his property and it was a blast. Started at hole in the field about the size of an abdomen and ended about a kilometre away. It was like being a worm or snake trying to get through sections of it.....having to angle shoulders and such.

I have no desire to tour an abandoned cave.

Frood

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=374495 time=1596805578 user_id=3254

It was more like two plates of rock around 2-3 feet in distance from each other in a number of sections, opening up into smallish caverns where you could stand up or stoop a bit, then crawl out from under a sheer ledge on your belly...

...I remember how it lacked any noise... so peaceful...
Blahhhhhh...

Renee

I toured the cave system on Barbados years ago....Damp, cold and dark. I got pics of some interesting limestone rock formations but all in all it was a rather uncomfortable, unsettling and rather underwhelming experience.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: Renee post_id=374506 time=1596808247 user_id=156

I toured the cave system on Barbados years ago....Damp, cold and dark. I got pics of some interesting limestone rock formations but all in all it was a rather uncomfortable, unsettling and rather underwhelming experience.

That would be cool. An abandoned mine, I don't know.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
911 was an attack on what city (spell out lower case two words):
spell bacon backwards with the first letter capitalized:
Is Alticus a dick sucking fairy? (answer is opposite of no):
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview