The best topic

Replies: 10385
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 10:06:23 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Erica Mena

RIP Nelson Mandela

Started by Anonymous, December 05, 2013, 09:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

An iconic figure to South Africans and maybe the world's last hero..

What a giant of a man..

Nobody will ever fill his shoes.

Romero

QuoteThe country that bestowed its highest accolades and even honorary citizenship upon Nelson Mandela was often described by the legendary freedom fighter as a source of inspiration throughout his struggle for racial equality in South Africa.

Mandela found sympathy in Canada for his cause when he himself was not able to fight for it.

Canada's appreciation for Mandela took root long before he had garnered global praise for his role in bringing an end to apartheid rule in South Africa and championing equality for blacks. Grass roots anti-apartheid organizations began forming across the country as early as the 1970s.

Church groups, community organizations and Canadian chapters of Mandela's ANC mobilized efforts to resist the regime even as Mandela himself languished in prison serving a life sentence for plotting to overthrow the government.

When Brian Mulroney took power in 1985 he quickly emerged as a vocal champion of Mandela's cause. He broke ranks with other western leaders by loudly speaking out against the apartheid regime while imposing strict economic sanctions against the government.

Vern Harris, Mandela's chief archivist and head of memory programming at the Nelson Mandela Foundation in Johannesburg, said the freedom fighter was aware of Canada's growing support for his cause during the 27 years of his incarceration.

Harris said Mandela expressed a keen desire to visit the country he had come to see as a role model and made a point of accepting Mulroney's explicit invitation to visit as soon as possible.

Politicians spoke of Mandela's courage and convictions, while Mandela singled out Canada for upholding the values he hoped to see espoused at home.

"Your respect for diversity within your own society and your tolerant and civilized manner of dealing with the challenges of difference and diversity had always been our inspiration," Mandela said during his first address to the Canadian parliament.

Those words were not just idle flattery. When Mandela was elected president of South Africa four years after his release, he and his government aides made a point of scrutinizing policies and practices from other countries that could serve as a model for an emerging democracy.

Mandela was made a Companion of the Order of Canada, the highest possible rank, during his second trip in September 1998.

For his final visit in November 2001, he became one of only five foreigners to be made an honorary Canadian citizen.

Mandela's popularity was most dramatically on display during the 1998 tour, which saw him address a rally of more than 40,000 schoolchildren in downtown Toronto. On that occasion, he heaped praise on a new generation of Canadians.

"You have made me feel like a young man again with my batteries recharged," he told the rally.

"The greatest joy has been to discover that there are so many children in this country who care about other children around the world."

http://metronews.ca/news/canada/876247/mandela-found-some-of-canadas-ways-inspiring/">//http://metronews.ca/news/canada/876247/mandela-found-some-of-canadas-ways-inspiring/

http://f1.haveeru.com.mv/photos/2013/07/0_137412794208_news.jpg">

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"
QuoteThe country that bestowed its highest accolades and even honorary citizenship upon Nelson Mandela was often described by the legendary freedom fighter as a source of inspiration throughout his struggle for racial equality in South Africa.

Mandela found sympathy in Canada for his cause when he himself was not able to fight for it.

Canada's appreciation for Mandela took root long before he had garnered global praise for his role in bringing an end to apartheid rule in South Africa and championing equality for blacks. Grass roots anti-apartheid organizations began forming across the country as early as the 1970s.

Church groups, community organizations and Canadian chapters of Mandela's ANC mobilized efforts to resist the regime even as Mandela himself languished in prison serving a life sentence for plotting to overthrow the government.

When Brian Mulroney took power in 1985 he quickly emerged as a vocal champion of Mandela's cause. He broke ranks with other western leaders by loudly speaking out against the apartheid regime while imposing strict economic sanctions against the government.

Vern Harris, Mandela's chief archivist and head of memory programming at the Nelson Mandela Foundation in Johannesburg, said the freedom fighter was aware of Canada's growing support for his cause during the 27 years of his incarceration.

Harris said Mandela expressed a keen desire to visit the country he had come to see as a role model and made a point of accepting Mulroney's explicit invitation to visit as soon as possible.

Politicians spoke of Mandela's courage and convictions, while Mandela singled out Canada for upholding the values he hoped to see espoused at home.

"Your respect for diversity within your own society and your tolerant and civilized manner of dealing with the challenges of difference and diversity had always been our inspiration," Mandela said during his first address to the Canadian parliament.

Those words were not just idle flattery. When Mandela was elected president of South Africa four years after his release, he and his government aides made a point of scrutinizing policies and practices from other countries that could serve as a model for an emerging democracy.

Mandela was made a Companion of the Order of Canada, the highest possible rank, during his second trip in September 1998.

For his final visit in November 2001, he became one of only five foreigners to be made an honorary Canadian citizen.

Mandela's popularity was most dramatically on display during the 1998 tour, which saw him address a rally of more than 40,000 schoolchildren in downtown Toronto. On that occasion, he heaped praise on a new generation of Canadians.

"You have made me feel like a young man again with my batteries recharged," he told the rally.

"The greatest joy has been to discover that there are so many children in this country who care about other children around the world."

http://metronews.ca/news/canada/876247/mandela-found-some-of-canadas-ways-inspiring/">//http://metronews.ca/news/canada/876247/mandela-found-some-of-canadas-ways-inspiring/

http://f1.haveeru.com.mv/photos/2013/07/0_137412794208_news.jpg">

A role model for all..

I wasn't surprised, but I was saddened to hear of his passing on my way home from work.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Fashionista"An iconic figure to South Africans and maybe the world's last hero..

What a giant of a man..

Hardly.......before everybody gets all teary eyed remember he was found guilty of doing the same shit as Osama Bin Ladin......blowing up the country's infrastructure and terrorizing civilians.....Look what happened to Osama.....terrorist or freedom fighter.....you say potato i say potato.........he wasn't a saint by any means. I'd hate to be a white south african over the next ten years...the country will most certainly become as big a shithole as Rhodesia has become under black rule....no doubt

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"
Quote from: "Fashionista"An iconic figure to South Africans and maybe the world's last hero..

What a giant of a man..

Hardly.......before everybody gets all teary eyed remember he was found guilty of doing the same shit as Osama Bin Ladin......blowing up the country's infrastructure and terrorizing civilians.....Look what happened to Osama.....terrorist or freedom fighter.....you say potato i say potato.........he wasn't a saint by any means. I'd hate to be a white south african over the next ten years...the country will most certainly become as big a shithole as Rhodesia has become under black rule....no doubt

Mr. Obvious Li, I am apolitical as much as I possibly can..

But you bring up a point that I just read about and that is the current leader of the party Mandela founded is no Nelson Mandela..

It seems it is possible that South Africa could follow Zimbabwe's example..

Let's pray moderates who are guided by Mandela's principles will prevail.

Romero

QuoteThe year 2013 marks 100 years since the Natives Land Act of 1913 which was enacted in South Africa. The Act became law limiting African land ownership to 7% which later increased to 13% through the 1936 Native Trust and Land Act of South Africa. The Act restricted black people from buying or occupying land except as employees of a white master. It however gave white people ownership of 87% of land and leaving black people to scramble for a mere 13%.

It is against this backdrop that black people found themselves displaced in their own land hence Sol Plaatjie's famous quote "Awaking on Friday morning, June 20, 1913, the South African native found himself, not actually a slave, but a pariah in the land of his birth."

That piece of legislation made life horrendous for the black populace until the Commission of Restitution was established in 1994 to provide equitable redress to victims of racially motivated land dispossession.

http://www.dla.gov.za/1913-land-act-centenary#.UqFfctJDsrU">//http://www.dla.gov.za/1913-land-act-centenary#.UqFfctJDsrU

Odinson

South-Africas first crime against against nature.

Look at that coon about to eat those white kids... smh

lol

Anonymous

A remarkable life that is for sure. I'm sure 100 years from now his name will be taught in history classrooms and not just in South Africa. He also deserves full credit for the surprisingly successful transition to universal democracy. As OL and Fash have alluded to, the current prez Zuma on the other hand is a typical slimeball politician.

What amazed me is how he started out being hostile to communism, then worked with them and sometimes for them. After he became president he adopted liberal economic policies including the Washington consensus. I guess activists can be ideological, but a leader(at least a successful one) needs to be pragmatic.

He will be greatly missed and it will be interesting to see how this will affect the ANC's monopoly on power.

Odinson

The jail-time... What was it all for?

We are all gonna die.

And Shen Li and I grow old in this forum together.

Odinson

This ain´t america.

No1 ever judges people by colour.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"
QuoteThe year 2013 marks 100 years since the Natives Land Act of 1913 which was enacted in South Africa. The Act became law limiting African land ownership to 7% which later increased to 13% through the 1936 Native Trust and Land Act of South Africa. The Act restricted black people from buying or occupying land except as employees of a white master. It however gave white people ownership of 87% of land and leaving black people to scramble for a mere 13%.

It is against this backdrop that black people found themselves displaced in their own land hence Sol Plaatjie's famous quote "Awaking on Friday morning, June 20, 1913, the South African native found himself, not actually a slave, but a pariah in the land of his birth."

That piece of legislation made life horrendous for the black populace until the Commission of Restitution was established in 1994 to provide equitable redress to victims of racially motivated land dispossession.

http://www.dla.gov.za/1913-land-act-centenary#.UqFfctJDsrU">//http://www.dla.gov.za/1913-land-act-centenary#.UqFfctJDsrU

Romero when I was reading about Nelson Mandela yesterday I discovered this..

Laws like this laid the ground work for the policy of apartheid which was officially enacted after world war 2..

What I am thinking about specifically was the Group Areas Act which was the cornerstone of apartheid.

Odinson

Seriously... What did that coon ever do except sit on his ass in jail and sitting on their asses is what their good at.

Like our women say... Niggers are good in bed, getting them to rise up is the problem... Aww isn´t that just sweet.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Romero when I was reading about Nelson Mandela yesterday I discovered this..

Laws like this laid the ground work for the policy of apartheid which was officially enacted after world war 2..

What I am thinking about specifically was the Group Areas Act which was the cornerstone of apartheid.

True, racial segregation was more de facto prior to the general election of 1948.

Renee

Quote from: "Obvious Li"

What a giant of a man..

Are you predicting a return of the practice of "necklacing"?

"with our matches and necklaces, we'll liberate this country"

Winnie Mandela
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Odinson

Nigger bucks can never rule... They serve as sex slaves nothing more.

With the IQ of a silverback gorilla whom they look like. Even with the assets the west gives, they seem to fuck themselves up.

Just amazing.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/stupid-terrorists-somebody-take-that-rocket-launcher-away-from-jamal-before-he-kills-all-of-us.jpg">