The best topic

Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

We Deserve Smarter Spending On Aboriginals

Started by Anonymous, December 20, 2013, 03:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Spending on Aboriginal issues is a sink hole for Canadian taxpayers and is not helping rank and file Natives. Made a handful of 1 percenter chiefs tremendously wealthy and some whites who profit off the "Indian industry" at our expense, but hasn't served anyone else very well.
QuoteThe premise is simple enough. How much money does the federal government actually spend on Aboriginal issues?

That's the scope of Mark Milke's latest report for the Fraser Institute. But we're going to take a wild guess that what people take from that information is far from simple.

After all, "Ever Higher: Government spending on Canada's Aboriginals since 1947" is tackling one of the most emotionally charged issues on Canada's domestic policy landscape.

Broadly speaking, there are two opinions on the matter.

First, that Aboriginal Canadians don't receive enough money. This has been voiced by Assembly of First Nations leaders over the years, politicians like Bob Rae and Paul Martin and various activists.

Then there are those -- usually the taxpayer -- who feel like enough money goes towards what they view as an ongoing mess.

But what does "enough" even mean? As Milke notes, "'Enough' is a value-laden term, impossible to quantify empirically." So let's have the numbers do the talking.

From 1946 to 2011, Aboriginal affairs spending increased 99-fold, adjusted for inflation. In 2013 dollars, it grew from $79 million to $7.9 billion.

Per person that's an increase of $922 in 1949 to $9,056 in 2011. A whopping 882% increase.

For comparison's sake, what about spending on all Canadians? To be fair, government in general has grown over the decades.

Federal spending per person has gone from $1,054 to $7,316 in the same period. A 387% increase. Ouch. That in itself is a massive expansion of government.

The study also records Aboriginal spending from provincial governments, Health Canada (like $219.1 million spent in 2011 on dental care that the rest of Canadians don't have access to) and Employment and Social Development Canada.

There are also pockets of funding that weren't covered for various reasons. In other words, the figures about are a conservative estimate.

So, yes, 'enough' is a hard term to define. But if funding has increased by over 800%, you've got to ask why so many rudimentary problems persist on reserves.

Forget about what is being spent. Let's ask how it's being spent.

We're reminded that Deloitte found Attawapiskat didn't have proper records for 80% of the financial transactions analyzed.

We all deserve better.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/12/13/we-all-deserve-smarter-spending">http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/12/13/w ... r-spending">http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/12/13/we-all-deserve-smarter-spending

Anonymous

Unfortunately too many band councils are guilty of malfeasance. There are some good transparent band councils, but unfortunately band councils are the most corrupt elected politicians in Canada.
QuoteIt saddens us to be weighing in on this subject once again. Another First Nations council is alleged to be misusing funds.

Only last weekend we used this editorial space to discuss First Nations finances.

We noted: "We're reminded that Deloitte found Attawapiskat didn't have proper records for 80% of the financial transactions analyzed. We all deserve better."

We'll forget about all of us deserving better this time around. Let's just focus on the regular folks on the reserves.

Because the allegations revealed this week against the leadership of Big Island First Nation in Saskatchewan are shocking.

A handwritten note was sent to Ottawa claiming that the chief and councillors used social assistance money meant for regular band members for their personal expenses, according to documents obtained by The Canadian Press.

It's claimed they spent it on vehicles, horses and trailers for themselves.

The documents also allege "that band members who are listed as social-assistance recipients never filed an application and never received social-assistance funds."

The government is currently investigating.

All of this is unproven right now. But, if the allegations prove to be true, this is the lowest of the low.

A few illegitimate expense claims is one thing. Spending welfare money meant for other people on personal frills is another.

What do we do?

For starters, if it's proven, those responsible need to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Then we need to have a mature conversation about processes on reserve.

In the documents retrieved by the Canadian Press, it's clear the chief wasn't that co-operative in this process. Phone calls weren't returned.

But more importantly, Big Island's elections are "custom." Which means they don't follow any sort of structure as outlined by Elections Canada or any other objective body. They make it up as they go along. No electoral standards opens the door to fraud, cronyism, nepotism, etc.

Some Canadians don't want to speak out against Aboriginal leadership.

But all their silence does is turn a blind eye to the regular folks living on reserves who don't call the shots, don't have the power and have nowhere to turn.

The handwritten letter notes the school is in disrepair and "we have no money for payroll or social assistance."

If true, it's unacceptable.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/12/18/help-regular-folks-on-reserves">http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/12/18/h ... n-reserves">http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/12/18/help-regular-folks-on-reserves

Odinson

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"No charity, shen li!

It's not something you would understand unless you live in this country. Americans and Aussies would understand as they have similar(but not the same) situations.

Odinson

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Odinson"No charity, shen li!

It's not something you would understand unless you live in this country. Americans and Aussies would understand as they have similar(but not the same) situations.

Oh I understand Shen Li.

The situation is happening everywhere.

Anonymous

QuoteFirst Nations, who probably hold the key to whether this pipeline will ever be built, predictably vowed renewed opposition."

I just got to laugh, little eeeoooo and all of Jugdish's handles are counting on Aboriginals not selling out their white ultra-leftist bretheren. Really?? He expects people like this slob to defend their interests.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwd5Q77joWEKjNXNhEc07cz6QHRuU3qw1LKEg5U1snRXO5IwNG">

There are some good band councils, but overall they are the most corrupt elected politicians in Canada. If they have no problem scamming their own people, I would not count on them defending your anti-development nonsense.

Odinson

And how have you been wronged by the "white racists"??

Judging by your pics you do pretty well... We are all gonna die Shen Li and all that matters is that our lineage lives on.

Anonymous

Shen Li, Aboriginals' quality of life is so much lower than the general population..

How can you have so little empathy?

Odinson

Quote from: "Fashionista"Shen Li, Aboriginals' quality of life is so much lower than the general population..

Who cares... Let them die.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"
Quote from: "Fashionista"Shen Li, Aboriginals' quality of life is so much lower than the general population..

That is basically how the corrupt chief and band councils feel.

Odinson

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Odinson"

That is basically how the corrupt chief and band councils feel.

Aww you growing soft you iron mommy.

I´m not corrupt... I just wish to be left alone. I´ll just deal with the saw factories and make money.

I do not need any support.

cc

I didn't read it all, but if I'm reading it right, that is part of Shen's point. She is attacking the extremely poor use of funds .... band councils keeping funds for themselves .... funds that should go to helping people,  should even go toward helping them to become more independent.

The govt. also plays a role as they do not follow up to make sure that funds go where they should go. Their inaction is inexcusable.

Speaking out against misuse of funds such that the money does not go to help people is not lack of empathy. It could even be the opposite
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Gary Oak

Quote from: "cc li tarte"

I didn't read it all, but if I'm reading it right, that is part of Shen's point. She is attacking the extremely poor use of funds .... band councils keeping funds for themselves .... funds that should go to helping people,  should even go toward helping them to become more independent.

The govt. also plays a role as they do not follow up to make sure that funds go where they should go. Their inaction is inexcusable.

Speaking out against misuse of funds such that the money does not go to help people is not lack of empathy. It could even be the opposite

If we doubled or tripled the amount of money we give the chugaboos it won`t change a thing. Well, they will have even more money for booze and wreck even more new pickup trucks.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc li tarte"

My apologies Ms. cc li tarte as I don't know much about the topic..

What I do know is the suffering of anyone breaks my heart.

:cry:

cc

Breaks mine also. Please, no appologies needed. On the subject of mismanagement of moneys that could be directed to help, that sadness becomes anger for me ... as "good" help is so needed ..... had money been better used decades ago in the right way today's situation would likely be a lot different..

BTW. Was raised near the Six Nations reserve and went to high school with many and many were good friends .. mainly Mohawks. Also spent a summer living on a reserve as mate was doing a construction project not long ago in Sask near Broadview ... one of the greatest summers of my life. Natives are very special to me and I get very angry at the way their entire situation has been handled for decades ... govt stupidity and band leader corruption very common

Point of interest - Dated Tonto's  nephew in high school - (Tonto = Jay SilverHeels acting name - Harold Smith real name, lol) .... his nephew was Smith also and I had a major crush on him. Now you have me thinking about all the good times with natives at school and many weekends spent staying with friends on the famous Six Nations reserve near Brantford ON where I lived at the time. While there were 5 other tribes with them, I happened into a neat group of proud Mohawks that adopted me into their midst. Superb and proud people ... mind you Mohawks historically tended to lead the Iroquois tribes and made themselves into the reserve elite.

Sorry. I got myself all nostalgic about an especially  great period in my life now.  :D
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell