Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 11:15:05 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Erica Mena

A

Big Money Enviro Groups Need Some Scrutiny

Started by Anonymous, February 08, 2014, 03:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

It's about fucking time these billionaire financed scammers bullshit political activities under the guise of being a charity were put under the microscope.
QuoteIf a group has charitable status they have to play by the rules. Even if you're on the side of the righteous.

A media report has revealed that major environmental charities are now being audited by the Canada Revenue Agency.

When a group is granted charitable status, they must abide by certain rules.

One of these rules is that only 10% of a charity's resources can go towards political advocacy. And even then, this can't be of a partisan nature.

It's so far confirmed that seven groups are under audit, including The David Suzuki Foundation, Tides Canada, West Coast Environmental Law, The Pembina Foundation, Environmental Defence, Equaterre and Ecology Action Centre.

Sun Media columnist Ezra Levant has previously asked challenging questions about Tides Canada and other advocacy groups. But others also have questions about whether or not environmental groups are complying with the rules.

Perhaps the Canada Revenue Agency is simply following up on those concerns.

But here's what Marcel Lauziere, president of Imagine Canada, told the CBC:

"We're concerned about what appears to be an increase in audits around political activity and in particular around environmental organizations," he said. "There's a big chill out there with what charities can and cannot do."

Huh? Enforcing rules isn't exactly a big chill.

These groups may cry out that they're being silenced. But having charitable status isn't a right. And losing it -- if it comes to that -- doesn't mean you're "silenced." It just means you lose the ability to issue tax receipts.

On a related note, on Thursday the British Columbia Civil Liberties Association announced they were filing complaints to watchdogs about the RCMP and CSIS. They claim the organizations were spying on environmental groups opposed to oil projects.

Again there's automatic suspicion that these groups are being probed for nefariously reasons. But others are concerned about the type of "direct action" promised by some anti-pipeline activists.

Who knows what tips law enforcement has received?

Perhaps we'll learn the CRA, CSIS and RCMP cast their nets too wide. Everyone has the right to take up a cause without the government nosing in on the event.

But that doesn't in turn mean environmentalist groups are above scrutiny.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/02/07/enviro-groups-deserve-scrutiny">http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/02/07/e ... e-scrutiny">http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/02/07/enviro-groups-deserve-scrutiny

RW

What charities can and cannot do are very limited and very specific (hence the "big chill" comment).  I think the definition of "political" is what needs to be established.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"What charities can and cannot do are very limited and very specific (hence the "big chill" comment).  I think the definition of "political" is what needs to be established.

Yeah, I would like to see a little more clarity in the definition of charities too. I would extend it to churches as well that put 95% of their revenue into salaries and upkeep on multi-million dollar structures.

RW

Charities are well defined as well as what they can and cannot do.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"Charities are well defined as well as what they can and cannot do.

Let me rephrase that then, Pembina, Suzuki Foundation, Pentecostal Church on 50th Street and even my beloved Fraser Institute are NOT charities. The only church in my opinion that is a REAL charity would be the Sally Ann.

Anonymous

Hey RW, thanx for mentioning about definitions of charities. I just checked and this is what qualifies;

To be charitable at law, an organization must have purposes that fall under one or more of the four heads (categories) of charity:

•the relief of poverty;

•the advancement of education;

•the advancement of religion; and

•certain other purposes that benefit the community in a way the courts have said is charitable.

IMHO, only the first one is charitable. The second and third absolutely not. The third one is too vague. However, it does have this caveat "The last category is limited to purposes that have been determined by the courts to be charitable at law".

RW

Is say the others meet advancement of education with the exception of the Fraser Institute because they couldn't get their facts straight if they were handed them on a silver platter.

If you go beyond what activities a charity has to participate in, you'll find further restrictions on how they can do it.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Odinson

Always money money money...

Kinda fitting the stereotype of a chinese woman...

Makes me wonder what kind of a patsy ShenLi has as a husband. Nogsters take anything non-black and rebuild the bitches confidence to a point when they come to me...

I´m only attracted to a certain type of females... Females whom I can take to the winter palace..

Females whom can wear a fine dress with grace...

Sluts just stink and think much of themselves due to easily opening their legs... Cumdumpsters.

One of my EXs wanted a baby but I just said that she is good in bed but I do not want her to be a mother to my children.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"Is say the others meet advancement of education with the exception of the Fraser Institute because they couldn't get their facts straight if they were handed them on a silver platter.

If you go beyond what activities a charity has to participate in, you'll find further restrictions on how they can do it.

My beloved Fraser Institute's annual publications scare the bejeezuz out of profligate spending governments in Canada. However, I acknowledge they are not a charity just like all those organizations TIDES lends it's charitable status to.

Odinson

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Real Woman"Is say the others meet advancement of education with the exception of the Fraser Institute because they couldn't get their facts straight if they were handed them on a silver platter.

My beloved Fraser Institute's annual publications scare the bejeezuz out of profligate spending governments in Canada. However, I acknowledge they are not a charity just like all those organizations TIDES lends it's charitable status to.

You do know that I will be hitting you below the belt with something other than my fist...

Agnico Eagle-mines is a canadian company which means I´ll have company paid travels to Canada. I sure do want to meet you chicks in person. Especially you ShenLi. You cant say shit and not have a love hungry viking on your tail...

I´m just gonna love love love you everywhere with big hearts in my eyes.

You will no doubt resist a little but that is the tale of Juha with females.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"

You do know that I will be hitting you below the belt with something other than my fist...

Agnico Eagle-mines is a canadian company which means I´ll have company paid travels to Canada. I sure do want to meet you chicks in person. Especially you ShenLi. You cant say shit and not have a love hungry viking on your tail...

There are many people on these forums I would like to meet in the flesh. Annie, Romero, RW and Blue Frost come to mind...you not so much.

Odinson

Quote from: "Odinson"

There are many people on these forums I would like to meet in the flesh. Annie, Romero, RW and Blue Frost come to mind...you not so much.

I´m not as bad here as I´m in the other forums...

Granted, I might be a little non-gentleman type. I´m funny because of that... I´m no prince charming.

RW

Do they?  The ones I've read are as poorly researched as they are uninspired. It's hard to take a "think tank" (I LOLed when I wrote that) seriously when they do shit like rank schools based on FSA (Foundation Skills Assessment - it's a test given to grade 4s and grade 7s) results.  How fucking lazy and disingenuous is that "research"?  

I can't take a group that intellectually lame seriously for one second.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Wow!  I'm brain dead today!
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!