Last post: Today at 03:39:45 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Where did it all go wrong?

Started by Bricktop, November 13, 2021, 07:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=427501 time=1637209496 user_id=1560
Quote from: seoulbro post_id=427492 time=1637204890 user_id=114

How you were paid is how I would pay employees if I was the owner and I was allowed.

In the early stages of the industrial revolution, piecework was the most common form of salary. The advantages, as Freud describes, are obvious.

However, as automation began to overtake physical labour, piecework salaries were no longer viable in many workplaces.

This is particularly so in service industries and bureaucracies, where productivity is very much more difficult to prescribe and identify. Not impossible, but difficult. And of course, unionism reviles piecework.

This is one reason why I favour dismantling bureaucracies in favour of outsourcing to private enterprise. Not all, but most.

When I was a waitress, the provincial minimum wage for servers was very low..

But, on weekends I usually made as much and often more than the owners..

This was because of my tips which were a form of incentive pay..

Since the minimum wage gpt so high so fast, good servers are earning less, but the government is earning through taxes..

Raising the minimum wage lowered wages for people who provided good service and raised it for lazy servers.

Anonymous

My pay is incentive based. I do not receive a wage. I get paid by the mile with bonuses for pick ups and drops. Yes, we use miles instead of kilometres on Canadian railways. It's because we are interconnected with American railways.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=427505 time=1637214641 user_id=1676
I'd like to see public schools defunded along with state subsidised broadcasters, medical services revert to a patient/doctor private arrangement, income taxes abolished or reduced to a fraction of what they are now, health bodies stripped of their ability to vet pharmaceutical products and procedures, property taxes and council rates abolished or reduced to a fraction, councils prevented from mandating most new building and landscaping codes...mandatory licences to fish, prospect, hunt, be armed, drive, climb ladders, check batteries in smoke detectors, et cetera be dissolved.

Award/Minimum Wage laws repealed... vice taxes dropped.

Most zoning rulings by manipulative greedy local and state governments removed.

To start with...

This is the real essence of the troubles we endure. Decomplicating our lives and diminishing the power of the overlords is truly the essence of the views of many people. They want society simplified and fewer interveners in their daily life.

But the problem now and always is how do we manage the big picture if we follow the path you describe.

How do major highways get built? How do we protect ourselves from those who wish us harm or cannot function in an orderly society free of oversights?

This is the hole we've dug. We are dependent on a ruling class in every aspect of our lives. Reducing that dependency means we must adapt a self governing model...but when in human history has such a social framework succeeded?

Our problem is that humans are largely unmanageable.

Bricktop

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=427509 time=1637234177 user_id=3254

Raising the minimum wage lowered wages for people who provided good service and raised it for lazy servers.

I think this issue is only relevant to societies where tipping is or was an established and recognised means of remunerating staff in lower paid vocations.

The US, Canada and France come to mind.

In other nations, tipping is rare. It sure is here in Australia because we have a minimum wage.

But the actual presence of a minimum wage does not exclude tipping. People can tip if they want to. But the sentiment is there is simply no need to do so because we pay more for the service received due to the addition of salary in the cost of doing business.

Also, your unions are the primary force behind minimum wage structures.

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=427551 time=1637272390 user_id=1560

I think this issue is only relevant to societies where tipping is or was an established and recognised means of remunerating staff in lower paid vocations.

In other nations, tipping is rare. It sure is here in Australia because we have a minimum wage.

But the actual presence of a minimum wage does not exclude tipping. People can tip if they want to. But the sentiment is there is simply no need to do so because we pay more for the service received due to the addition of salary in the cost of doing business.

Many servers are upset about provincial governments raising the minimum wage and destroying the tipping culture..

Servers had their incomes cut, but the provincial and federal governments get more tax revenue, so they like it.

Frood

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=427549 time=1637272109 user_id=1560
I'd like to see public schools defunded along with state subsidised broadcasters, medical services revert to a patient/doctor private arrangement, income taxes abolished or reduced to a fraction of what they are now, health bodies stripped of their ability to vet pharmaceutical products and procedures, property taxes and council rates abolished or reduced to a fraction, councils prevented from mandating most new building and landscaping codes...mandatory licences to fish, prospect, hunt, be armed, drive, climb ladders, check batteries in smoke detectors, et cetera be dissolved.

To start with...

This is the real essence of the troubles we endure. Decomplicating our lives and diminishing the power of the overlords is truly the essence of the views of many people. They want society simplified and fewer interveners in their daily life.

But the problem now and always is how do we manage the big picture if we follow the path you describe.

How do major highways get built? How do we protect ourselves from those who wish us harm or cannot function in an orderly society free of oversights?

This is the hole we've dug. We are dependent on a ruling class in every aspect of our lives. Reducing that dependency means we must adapt a self governing model...but when in human history has such a social framework succeeded?

Road tolls can fund road projects.... (less and less roads will be required in the future anyway)

We and private security services can protect us....
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=427561 time=1637278595 user_id=3254
Quote from: Bricktop post_id=427551 time=1637272390 user_id=1560

Many servers are upset about provincial governments raising the minimum wage and destroying the tipping culture..

Servers had their incomes cut, but the provincial and federal governments get more tax revenue, so they like it.

Saskatchewan has avoided the steep rapid increases in minimum wage that most provinces have forced on small businesses.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=427564 time=1637283086 user_id=1676

To start with...

Road tolls can fund road projects.... (less and less roads will be required in the future anyway)

That is not even close to being a considered response. :negative:

Please try harder.

Anonymous

Seoul, has a lot to say about the role of government..

I can't remember specifically, but he has argued the more that government takes over roles the private sector is capable of filling, the result is less prosperity, not more..

Maybe, he'll see this and explain.

Bricktop

I'd add to that that the term "prosperity" needs to be clarified.

Individuals are less prosperous, or the nation and its communities?

Prosperity does not equal improved living standards for the general public. Increasing the size of the national economy does not necessarily increase the standard of living for most citizens.

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=427596 time=1637289730 user_id=1560
I'd add to that that the term "prosperity" needs to be clarified.

Individuals are less prosperous, or the nation and its communities?

Prosperity does not equal improved living standards for the general public. Increasing the size of the national economy does not necessarily increase the standard of living for most citizens.

Someone posted an article how Japan despite a stagnant national GDP because of demofraphic challenges has maintained and grown living standards.

Frood

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=427588 time=1637288340 user_id=1560
Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=427564 time=1637283086 user_id=1676

To start with...

Please try harder.

Mine or yours?

The "but who will build the roads?!" rebuttal has been a go-to by the personal autonomy averse since governments took over pre-existing roads and laid bitumen over them.

I live on a dirt road. It gets graded a couple of times per year. There's a stress point near my front entrance which needs filling a few times more per year. I do that.

It's easier to spend half an hour with a shovel filling in the fault line.

A perfectly functional road used by all classes of cars, motorcycles, and trucks with the exception of the rare lowered sports car...and though they might bitch and complain that we need more tax dollars to protect their investment because they chose to buy an unsuitable vehicle to park on their dirt road adjacent home, polling and council pressure to pave it and jack our council rates up is hugely unpopular with the vast majority of residents....

....same as the mandating of city sewer via the banning of septic systems. Nobody wants it.... but the bureaucracy keeps weaseling for it.

There was a house fire here at 2 in morning last week. Just around the corner... the Country Fire Authority were out of their beds and on scene in 6 minutes to put it out. Those are volunteers... the MFB (paid) would be lucky to put the coals out....

Same goes with policing.... a 24 minute response time....if they even bother. Callers are regularly told to hide, appease, take a beating, until they can get somebody out here....and when they respond or are present, they're belligerent and they bully people.

So, forgive me if I don't have much respect for bureaucracies, social planners, or large organised street gangs with the monopoly on force.

I am a man, not a mouse.
Blahhhhhh...

cc

Here's a piece of cheese.

Eat it and shut up
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Frood

Please try harder.
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=427598 time=1637290645 user_id=1676

The "but who will build the roads?!" rebuttal has been a go-to by the personal autonomy averse since governments took over pre-existing roads

I'm not rebutting. I am asking for more detail.

And quit plagiarising my shit!  :rules: