Replies: 10554
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 11:33:35 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Aylana

A

We are becoming a flame forum

Started by Anonymous, January 04, 2022, 08:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Blazor

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=433299 time=1641355767 user_id=1676
Quote from: Herman post_id=433297 time=1641355568 user_id=1689
Quote from: Bricktop post_id=433268 time=1641352109 user_id=1560
I understand the sentiment of the thread, but we are as far from a flame forum as you can get. With respect, unless you've been active on forums that overtly claim to be flame forums then they are just chat forums with some trolls exciting the punters.

A flame forum demands its exponents to insult, demean, degrade and humiliate its members at all times. It is cage match fighting.

We're just a knitting circle where a couple of members have raised the aggro levels a little. If the main protagonists calmed their farm and toned down the pointless and silly insults we'd be just fine.

What old Blazor and DD are doing aint too far from the CBT faggots at SG did. Disrupt, spam and add nothing.

That's an unfair assessment and comparison.

This has been a closed shop for us on some topics and while I can't speak on Blazor's behalf, we've only given as good as we've gotten.

Thank you for speaking on my behalf my friend, you are spot on.

My toying did not come about til I was provoked.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Anonymous

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=433215 time=1641347318 user_id=114
The reason I don't venture far from this community is that quite frankly the competition appeals to adults who stopped maturing before they reached puberty. We were more for adults. That has changed lately. No longer do we reply with actual rebuttals. That has been replaced with kindergarten insults, laffy lol's, no yuo, and the oh so boring deflection, "you seem" this or that.

I've been here almost since the beginning. The reason I stay is because I like how the discussions flow. The reason I am not having fun anymore is because there are no more discussions. Lame insults and memes have replaced it. It reminds me of my brief time at SG.

Is it just me? How do other people feel about this? Has the tone changed in your opinion? Do you like the change? Has it improved the flow of discussions? I look forward to feedback.

I pm'd Christmas greetings to members here including some who rarely make an appearance anymore..

One of those infrequent posters replied with some of the same concerns you've expressed Seoul.

Anonymous

Quote from: Odinson post_id=433301 time=1641356266 user_id=136
Anglo-Saxons have too much estrogen and that is why these cat-fights happen.

Have a pill of patriotism to boost your testosterone levels.

">

Mr Smarty Pants.

Bricktop

We must be careful not to over-sanitise our expectations. Forums are, by definition, a gathering place where viewpoints are exchanged, discussed and debated. If everyone had the same viewpoint, there would be no forums.

I've said before...it you want to start an argument between 2 humans, just put them in a room together and say "Black".

We will argue because that's why we're here. And some find the exercise frustrating and leave, or visit rarely. This is the way, as some spacemen say.

But arguing and abusing are 2 different things, and there are a large proportion of the members here that are being rather abusive to their peers.

If we were that interested, we might search back until we find a post that took the "I disagree" approach and made it "You're a fucking idiot" debate.

But we're not that interested. As the senior citizen here, I could call upon you kiddies to act like adults, but I doubt anyone would take notice.

But I cannot help but wonder where this path leads? How many forums have disappeared in the last few years simply because members couldn't play nicely any more.

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=433331 time=1641362774 user_id=1560
We must be careful not to over-sanitise our expectations. Forums are, by definition, a gathering place where viewpoints are exchanged, discussed and debated. If everyone had the same viewpoint, there would be no forums.

I've said before...it you want to start an argument between 2 humans, just put them in a room together and say "Black".

We will argue because that's why we're here. And some find the exercise frustrating and leave, or visit rarely. This is the way, as some spacemen say.

But arguing and abusing are 2 different things, and there are a large proportion of the members here that are being rather abusive to their peers.

If we were that interested, we might search back until we find a post that took the "I disagree" approach and made it "You're a fucking idiot" debate.

But we're not that interested. As the senior citizen here, I could call upon you kiddies to act like adults, but I doubt anyone would take notice.

But I cannot help but wonder where this path leads? How many forums have disappeared in the last few years simply because members couldn't play nicely any more.

I agree Bricktop.....some of the things I've noticed too recently have left me wondering where this is going..

One of the reasons most forums ban Seamajor is that he doesn't know how to play nice which negatively affects the community..

As our most senior poster, do you have any recommendations that would save us from the same fate as so many other little communities in the past few years?

Frood

Senior poster?

Lol.... he was a late add in who we had to train up like a young grasshoppa' in all things Flame and Trollyagi- Do

ac_biggrin
Blahhhhhh...

Frood

1. Make it clearer that the main board is for discussion and Rejected or whatever is for shit slinging. Spirited debates are fine but take it to Rejected if you want to sledge with impunity. There you can do anything legal or non TOS violating to your hearts content.....but it stays there.

2. Consider allowing call out threads on the main board to redirect  into Rejected so people can put each other on notice publicly but not have it destroy the serenity of the main page.

3. Repeat violators get their avatars changed to something embarrassing for a predetermined amount of time, and a three strikes and a time out policy for the feisty ones with pancake butts (Hi, Shen!....  ac_razz )

4. Mild stirring is acceptable on the main page threads. Maliciousness not. Most of us can recognize the difference except possibly Mainlanders who can uniformly press leaves and flowers for scrapbooks with just their butts....

5. Memes are allowed in any thread but no single person can post more than 5 except if it's a dedicated meme thread.
Blahhhhhh...

Frood

6. If debate adversaries in a main page thread refuse to read/view/watch/listen to information or multimedia supplied by the other, the onus is on the person doing the refusing to cease debate or they should take it to Rejected and carry on. No legitimate discussion can happen if one side refuses to deal with the other side's sources, even if they are considered suspect by one party.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=433336 time=1641368322 user_id=1676
1. Make it clearer that the main board is for discussion and Rejected or whatever is for shit slinging. Spirited debates are fine but take it to Rejected if you want to sledge with impunity. There you can do anything legal or non TOS violating to your hearts content.....but it stays there.

2. Consider allowing call out threads on the main board to redirect  into Rejected so people can put each other on notice publicly but not have it destroy the serenity of the main page.

3. Repeat violators get their avatars changed to something embarrassing for a predetermined amount of time, and a three strikes and a time out policy for the feisty ones with pancake butts (Hi, Shen!....  ac_razz )

4. Mild stirring is acceptable on the main page threads. Maliciousness not. Most of us can recognize the difference except possibly Mainlanders who can uniformly press leaves and flowers for scrapbooks with just their butts....

5. Memes are allowed in any thread but no single person can post more than 5 except if it's a dedicated meme thread.

What if a thread states in it's title no memes?

The others seem reasonable enough in my opinion..

Anyone else?

Frood

7. Anybody who writes or voices the word "shenanigans" either on TBC or through Vocaroo.com gets a time out for 1 day.

">

Edit: No Memes threads are fair enough, but no person can make more than 1-3 of them per year?
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=433276 time=1641352866 user_id=1560
I do not regard our exchanges as inappropriate, because it has been that way for over a decade, and it ain't gonna change any time soon. You slap me, I slap you, we've been through the harsh extremities of Brawl Hall and so give no fucks either way. Water off a ducks back...although I've never made a recording about how much I despise you (an act of yours that gave me enormous pride and pleasure).

It would be inaccurate to categorise our banter in the same way as that between you, Blaze and cc for example. There's some real venom there that is way out of place.

We seem to be emulating what is happening in the world outside. Division, bitterness, anger and hatred.

That is something we should ALL try to redress.

If I have caused any member undue and legitimate duress by any comment I have made, I offer an unconditional apology and will make a concerted effort to cease and desist such behaviour.

Unfortunately this is true, and it's spilling into many threads.

Anonymous

Quote from: Herman post_id=433297 time=1641355568 user_id=1689
Quote from: Bricktop post_id=433268 time=1641352109 user_id=1560
I understand the sentiment of the thread, but we are as far from a flame forum as you can get. With respect, unless you've been active on forums that overtly claim to be flame forums then they are just chat forums with some trolls exciting the punters.

A flame forum demands its exponents to insult, demean, degrade and humiliate its members at all times. It is cage match fighting.

We're just a knitting circle where a couple of members have raised the aggro levels a little. If the main protagonists calmed their farm and toned down the pointless and silly insults we'd be just fine.

What old Blazor and DD are doing aint too far from the CBT faggots at SG did. Disrupt, spam and add nothing.

It's funny you should mention CBT..

We had one poster from that forum register here.....I believe his handle is apeman at CBT and Admin at BF..

The only posts he made here were anti Donald Trump memes..

It didn't matter the topic of the thread, that's what he posted..

We restricted him to Rejected and he never posted or rather spammed again again.

Frood

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=433342 time=1641370107 user_id=3254
I do not regard our exchanges as inappropriate, because it has been that way for over a decade, and it ain't gonna change any time soon. You slap me, I slap you, we've been through the harsh extremities of Brawl Hall and so give no fucks either way. Water off a ducks back...although I've never made a recording about how much I despise you (an act of yours that gave me enormous pride and pleasure).

It would be inaccurate to categorise our banter in the same way as that between you, Blaze and cc for example. There's some real venom there that is way out of place.

We seem to be emulating what is happening in the world outside. Division, bitterness, anger and hatred.

If I have caused any member undue and legitimate duress by any comment I have made, I offer an unconditional apology and will make a concerted effort to cease and desist such behaviour.

I didn't realize... I have a high tolerance to venom and it doesn't register especially if I'm responding to someone and chuckling to myself while doing it.

But I do realize I have a rather dark sense of humour and I enjoy riling up people.

Maybe I could tone it down with some of the rule changes or actions Kiebers and you are considering.

As Bricktop mentioned with he and I, it's all water off a ducks back, but others may not have had the necessary experiences to arrive to such an understanding.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=433345 time=1641370613 user_id=1676
Quote from: Fashionista post_id=433342 time=1641370107 user_id=3254

I didn't realize... I have a high tolerance to venom and it doesn't register especially if I'm responding to someone and chuckling to myself while doing it.

But I do realize I have a rather dark sense of humour and I enjoy riling up people.

Maybe I could tone it down with some of the rule changes or actions Kiebers and you are considering.

As Bricktop mentioned with he and I, it's all water off a ducks back, but others may not have had the necessary experiences to arrive to such an understanding.

We can't become like BF or it's predecessors, TRF and SG.....that will be our eulogy..

You made some reasonable suggestions to restore order, let's wait to see what others have to say.....it's early in the morning in North America....only Mel is still awake.

Anonymous

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=433215 time=1641347318 user_id=114
The reason I don't venture far from this community is that quite frankly the competition appeals to adults who stopped maturing before they reached puberty. We were more for adults. That has changed lately. No longer do we reply with actual rebuttals. That has been replaced with kindergarten insults, laffy lol's, no yuo, and the oh so boring deflection, "you seem" this or that.

I've been here almost since the beginning. The reason I stay is because I like how the discussions flow. The reason I am not having fun anymore is because there are no more discussions. Lame insults and memes have replaced it. It reminds me of my brief time at SG.

Is it just me? How do other people feel about this? Has the tone changed in your opinion? Do you like the change? Has it improved the flow of discussions? I look forward to feedback.

We got rid of Seamoron, but his two sons are here carrying on their dad's work.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Is the "D" in Django silent? Yes or No? (must be lower case):
spell bacon backwards with the first letter capitalized:
Is Alticus a dick sucking fairy? (answer is opposite of no):
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview