Replies: 8416
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 02:46:34 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

A

Bricktop

Started by Anonymous, August 13, 2022, 10:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Bricktop

There are no "bad" cameras. Unfortunately, "gear addiction" affects a lot of photographers who think THEIR kit is better than everyone else's.

In reality, the camera doesn't take the photograph, the photographer does. Most people now seem happy with the image quality of phone cameras, which these days is excellent, but the phone camera has its limitations. 90% of people who use their phone wouldn't even be aware of those limitations.

I use Olympus because it is a "micro" system. It is much smaller than other cameras, and its lenses are very much more portable and lighter. It's so much easier to carry around, and when you need to walk long distances with your gear, that's a real factor when you are no longer in the full blossom of youth.

What you don't "see" in many of my images is how far away the birds are, or how fast it is flying. Or how secluded and hidden it may be. In those circumstances, phones simply won't work.

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=475580 time=1664149729 user_id=1560
There are no "bad" cameras. Unfortunately, "gear addiction" affects a lot of photographers who think THEIR kit is better than everyone else's.

In reality, the camera doesn't take the photograph, the photographer does. Most people now seem happy with the image quality of phone cameras, which these days is excellent, but the phone camera has its limitations. 90% of people who use their phone wouldn't even be aware of those limitations.

I use Olympus because it is a "micro" system. It is much smaller than other cameras, and its lenses are very much more portable and lighter. It's so much easier to carry around, and when you need to walk long distances with your gear, that's a real factor when you are no longer in the full blossom of youth.

What you don't "see" in many of my images is how far away the birds are, or how fast it is flying. Or how secluded and hidden it may be. In those circumstances, phones simply won't work.

What do you mean gear addiction?

Bricktop

Many photographers start out believing that you need the BEST gear to get the BEST photograph. So, they choose their camera brand, and buy the best they can afford, and then start buying lenses (which are the EXPENSIVE bit).

After a while their photography doesn't seem to be as good as expected. So...it's the gear they are using. So they buy more expensive models and lenses....and strangely their images don't seem much better. Then they realise it must be the GEAR!!!

So...they change their camera brand, selling off their current gear at a huge loss and re-investing in a whole new kit. Nikon is out, Canon is in. Because all the GOOD photographs are taken by Canon cameras (not photographers, apparently).

But, sadly...their photographs don't improve much despite $5000 worth of equipment....and the cycle continues.

Then one day the light bulb goes on...an epiphany. It's not the GEAR, stupid!!!

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=475595 time=1664161571 user_id=1560
Many photographers start out believing that you need the BEST gear to get the BEST photograph. So, they choose their camera brand, and buy the best they can afford, and then start buying lenses (which are the EXPENSIVE bit).

After a while their photography doesn't seem to be as good as expected. So...it's the gear they are using. So they buy more expensive models and lenses....and strangely their images don't seem much better. Then they realise it must be the GEAR!!!

So...they change their camera brand, selling off their current gear at a huge loss and re-investing in a whole new kit. Nikon is out, Canon is in. Because all the GOOD photographs are taken by Canon cameras (not photographers, apparently).

But, sadly...their photographs don't improve much despite $5000 worth of equipment....and the cycle continues.

My camera was good quality when I bought it, but it's dated now. I won't buy another one though. I hardly ever used the Canon.

Bricktop

There are millions of cupboards all over the world holding DSLR's of varying quality that have been abandoned and forgotten.

Just like dedicated movie cameras.

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=475601 time=1664169360 user_id=1560
There are millions of cupboards all over the world holding DSLR's of varying quality that have been abandoned and forgotten.

Mom and I will go for a hike and I won't bring it. It's getting old now, but it's like brand new because it's hardly been used.

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=475601 time=1664169360 user_id=1560

I think so too Bricktop.

Frood

When large portions of our planet no longer have the critical infrastructure to take, process, and print photographs with a mobile phone, the cycle will be reset.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=475651 time=1664281239 user_id=1676

When large portions of our planet no longer have the critical infrastructure to take, process, and print photographs with a mobile phone, the cycle will be reset.

What day will that happen?

Frood

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=475658 time=1664285119 user_id=3254
Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=475651 time=1664281239 user_id=1676

Sometime in our lives.... and probably sooner than later.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=475662 time=1664285607 user_id=1676
Quote from: Fashionista post_id=475658 time=1664285119 user_id=3254

Okay, I doubt Bricktop and caskur will sell their cameras soon.

Frood

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=475665 time=1664286907 user_id=3254
Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=475662 time=1664285607 user_id=1676

Neither of them probably know how to develop a negative with sparse materials/chemicals...

They're all on digital. And if their cameras memories aren't wiped out... the flash drives.... good luck if they have a power source still worth mentioning that could drive a printer unit.... mind you, a printer unit and ink cartridges shielded too...
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=475666 time=1664287543 user_id=1676
Quote from: Fashionista post_id=475665 time=1664286907 user_id=3254

Neither of them probably know how to develop a negative with sparse materials/chemicals...

They're all on digital. And if their cameras memories aren't wiped out... the flash drives.... good luck if they have a power source still worth mentioning that could drive a printer unit.... mind you, a printer unit and ink cartridges shielded too...

Of course they have digital cameras.

Bricktop

Again you speak without knowledge.

Perhaps your mathematical skills fail you...but as you are aware of my age, and seem to know so much about photography, you are surely aware that I was a photographer LONG before the digital age arrived. Hence, I have considerable experience in processing, developing and printing images from both film and slide using my own darkroom. How about you, shortpants?

And I still use an Olympus OM2n FILM camera which produces a more subtle effect of colours on film, viz;

https://scontent.fadl4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/279600911_5268317243188590_4966332962907017908_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=NE97TqBrKZkAX-S78Ji&tn=ykj0FDCcjv3x8VIm&_nc_ht=scontent.fadl4-1.fna&oh=00_AT-Hfc4IftUVCX280eGwwCPH22-mL_5XADWm3E_tLDWLWg&oe=63395BE6">

From what I've seen of your photographic contributions, your knowledge of photography seems to be mediocre at best.

Again, you demonstrate your inability to ignore threads which relate to matters outside of your expertise simply because they have the word "Bricktop" in their title.

That envy must really chew you up.

Anonymous

I prefer digital cameras to film.