The best topic

Replies: 10402
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:52:08 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

An essay on progressive education.....

Started by Obvious Li, May 01, 2014, 11:22:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "ghost"
Quote from: "Real Woman"
Quote from: "Romero"Right, because most woman aren't feminists. They're mostly masculinists I guess.

Maybe by the definition of what feminism once was.  In my late teens I thought of myself as a feminist and then I realised what it meant to be one and I didn't want to be a part of it any more.  It looked more like over compensation than equality to me and I dropped it as a means of identifying myself.

I'm a woman who believes in equality but I'm not a feminist.

I often say that too. I think the problem is there are too many different levels of feminism. It's gotten so bad that the lines are all blurred.

I see a compromise on the horizon.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Obvious Li"

sounds like you got pretty high marks in those classes......congratulations it shows......your teachers would be so proud :ugeek: ..........

I also got high marks with my MA in Creative Writing...earns me a six figure income. I'm sure you've got opinions on that too.

nope..i do not..except to say congratulations on your successes....if you can make it as a writer that says something..it is a tough business.....doesn't change the facts regarding the topic we were discussing......or the truth of the authors words :ugeek:

RW

Quote from: "Romero"Right, because most woman aren't feminists. They're mostly masculinists I guess.

Maybe by the definition of what feminism once was.  In my late teens I thought of myself as a feminist and then I realised what it meant to be one and I didn't want to be a part of it any more.  It looked more like over compensation than equality to me and I dropped it as a means of identifying myself.

I often say that too. I think the problem is there are too many different levels of feminism. It's gotten so bad that the lines are all blurred.

And when I read the essay in the OP, I read "feminazi" - the rabid, over compensating types whose mission it is to elevate women without actual equal gender foresight.  That's probably why it didn't offend me as a woman.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Shen, I think of these things as pendulums.  A problem is identified and everything and the kitchen sink is thrown at it which results in a push too far in terms of correction.  Then we see it's too far and we correct the swing again.  We keep doing this until we land somewhere closer to balance.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Romero

If you believe in women's rights and equality, you're a feminist.

Quote from: "Real Woman"And when I read the essay in the OP, I read "feminazi" - the rabid, over compensating types whose mission it is to elevate women without actual equal gender foresight.

The article says "feminists". "Feminazi" is never used.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"

Quote from: "Real Woman"And when I read the essay in the OP, I read "feminazi" - the rabid, over compensating types whose mission it is to elevate women without actual equal gender foresight.

Is that all that's required to be a feminist Romero?

I am feminine, not a feminist.

Romero

RW

And "gay" used to mean "happy".  I do not consider myself a feminist.  Deal with it.

The author was pretty clear on the type of women he was addressing when he said feminist aka feminazis.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Romero"That's the basic definition!

[attachment=0]0023.gif[/attachment]

Anonymous

And "gay" used to mean "happy".  I do not consider myself a feminist.  Deal with it.

The author was pretty clear on the type of women he was addressing when he said feminist aka feminazis.

I've never been called a feminazi before.

:?

Romero

Quote from: "Real Woman"And "gay" used to mean "happy".  I do not consider myself a feminist.  Deal with it.

You're picking a word that has changed definition and comparing it to a word that hasn't changed definition. Feminism still means women's rights and equality.

The author blames teacher's unions. To me that means teacher's unions. Perhaps to you it means "hardcore commie fascists"?

Anyway, you can't seriously believe there are thousands upon thousands of "feminazis" controlling our education system. Ever been to a school? Where are they all? They don't exist.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"And "gay" used to mean "happy".  I do not consider myself a feminist.  Deal with it.

You're picking a word that has changed definition and comparing it to a word that hasn't changed definition. Feminism still means women's rights and equality.

The author blames teacher's unions. To me that means teacher's unions. Perhaps to you it means "hardcore commie fascists"?

Anyway, you can't seriously believe there are thousands upon thousands of "feminazis" controlling our education system. Ever been to a school? Where are they all? They don't exist.

Romero, you can't seriously believe that our public education system is serving the unique needs of little boys?

Romero

It's not perfect, but it's not full of "feminazis" who "enjoy seeing boys fail". Most teachers do a great job and care for their students very much.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"It's not perfect, but it's not full of "feminazis" who "enjoy seeing boys fail". Most teachers do a great job and care for their students very much.

I have no exposure to the public school system, but I feel curriculum problems have little to do with teachers.

RW

Quote from: "Romero"It's not perfect, but it's not full of "feminazis" who "enjoy seeing boys fail". Most teachers do a great job and care for their students very much.

I have been in a school lately.  In fact, I was in one yesterday and the day before that, and the day before that.

Have YOU been in a school lately?  

Do YOU know who sets learning outcomes?
Beware of Gaslighters!