I think the government is trying to kill OH

Started by Dove, February 23, 2023, 01:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frood

Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li" post_id=495176 time=1677872293 user_id=3389
Quote from: Guest post_id=495148 time=1677830993

So you're fine with the people who employed them getting off scot free, I get that. You've made it abundantly clear that you think all the responsibility rests with the train operator, and that anyone in a higher position is utterly exempt from any recourse, even should they coerce the aforementioned operator under threat of negative performance review, their job or anything else we might care to name. These people are utterly beyond reproach and are at perfect liberty to employ any random yahoo they like and metaphorically whip them into cutting any and all corners, safe in the knowledge that when things fuck up, it's the operator's ass on the line, not the management, yes?

This is where I'd announce "don't call us, we'll call you." And file your job application in the round file the minute you were out the door.

So you're fine with train crews who knowingly break federal inspection rules. Expect more East Palestines and Lac Megantics.

No, and if you had been reading my responses you would know this already. I'm not in the business of pinning the perennial failure of a system on a succession of patsies; it is perfectly clear to me that it is more than simply rogue operators at the coalface that need to be remonstrated with. If you're too myopic to see that (and based on your inability to infer my position correctly after I'd stated it flat out multiple times I can presume you are) then it is reasonable to suggest that more patsies will be offered up in the future instead of there being a more determined effort being made to employ operators who will actually observe proper safety rules.

In short, it is precisely because of reactions such as yours and Brents that I do expect more East Palestines and Lac Megantics. You both are insisting on treating the symptom only, whereas I advocate for treating both symptom AND cause. You have a system where "accidents" are repeatedly happening, you wish to pin all the blame on a succession of operators that break rules and apparently give a free pass to those who employ them and who in my opinion should be getting their arses handed to them AS WELL. I did say hold everyone to account for their part in the affair; I meant it.

Anonymous

Quote from: Frood post_id=495201 time=1677916887 user_id=1676:001_rolleyes:

I know... some people never get out of their home state. She'll be screaming blue bloody murder the minute her government decides to follow in Adelaide's footsteps on the subject of rainwater tanks.  ac_biggrin

Anonymous

Quote from: Guest post_id=495497 time=1678577167
Quote from: "Shen Li" post_id=495176 time=1677872293 user_id=3389

So you're fine with train crews who knowingly break federal inspection rules. Expect more East Palestines and Lac Megantics.

No, and if you had been reading my responses you would know this already. I'm not in the business of pinning the perennial failure of a system on a succession of patsies; it is perfectly clear to me that it is more than simply rogue operators at the coalface that need to be remonstrated with. If you're too myopic to see that (and based on your inability to infer my position correctly after I'd stated it flat out multiple times I can presume you are) then it is reasonable to suggest that more patsies will be offered up in the future instead of there being a more determined effort being made to employ operators who will actually observe proper safety rules.

In short, it is precisely because of reactions such as yours and Brents that I do expect more East Palestines and Lac Megantics. You both are insisting on treating the symptom only, whereas I advocate for treating both symptom AND cause. You have a system where "accidents" are repeatedly happening, you wish to pin all the blame on a succession of operators that break rules and apparently give a free pass to those who employ them and who in my opinion should be getting their arses handed to them AS WELL. I did say hold everyone to account for their part in the affair; I meant it.

Take a look at this link.

">https://tc.canada.ca/sites/default/file ... 9-2022.pdf">

These are rules, not suggestions. I have to take a test every other year on these rules to maintain my license to work running trades at CP. The States has very similar federal railway rules. If you follow all 841 of these federal rules there wil never be an East Palestine or a Lac Megantic. But, people get careless and the shit hits the fan. That's why we're unionized.

Shen Li

Quote from: Brent post_id=495623 time=1678761044
Quote from: Guest post_id=495497 time=1678577167

Take a look at this link.

">https://tc.canada.ca/sites/default/file ... 9-2022.pdf">

These are rules, not suggestions. I have to take a test every other year on these rules to maintain my license to work running trades at CP. The States has very similar federal railway rules. If you follow all 841 of these federal rules there wil never be an East Palestine or a Lac Megantic. But, people get careless and the shit hits the fan. That's why we're unionized.

There are actually 864 rules, but the last 23 are more for engineering crews and not running trades. Although you guys have to know them.

Shen Li

As expected, a group of Dem and GOP senators lead by Ohio Sens. Sherrod Brown (D) and J.D. Vance (R), Pennsylvania Sens. Bob Casey (D) and John Fetterman (D) want to introduce more rules because of the disaster in Ohio. If they had followed existing rules, it would not have happened.

Odinson

None of the rules work if the crew doesnt follow them.

The senators just want to use every opportunity to make themselves look useful.

Shen Li

Quote from: Odinson post_id=495658 time=1678819080 user_id=136
None of the rules work if the crew doesnt follow them.

The senators just want to use every opportunity to make themselves look useful.

That's what I have been saying. The kneejerk reaction of the left is more rules. In the case of East Palestine and Lac Megantic existing rules weren't followed.