Last post: Today at 05:56:05 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Got banned from BF... lulz

Started by Frood, July 07, 2023, 10:05:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKG

Quote from: "Biggie Smiles" post_id=505983 time=1688835143 user_id=3214
Quote from: DKG post_id=505982 time=1688835056 user_id=3390

I wish we could make it look like BF or SG. Maybe it is not possible.

I'll look into it.

It may require a transition from probb to something like an SMF or the layout BF uses

I was about to do such a transition before Erica decided to keep this site alive ... thankfully, as I was pretty busy with other stuff at the time.

If you think you can do it and need access to the host panel let me or Cronus know. I like a Shoutbox feature.

deport_liberals

Quote from: "Erica Mena" post_id=505922 time=1688828592 user_id=2845
Quote from: deport_liberals post_id=505884 time=1688795567 user_id=3305
Me too.  What'd I even do I had like 2 poasts per day...

You mean they banned you for no reason? You didn't mention politics?

I just said "man is a political animal" but I suspect bf banned based on certain conversations we were having in PM system.  Apparently he reads those too.

DKG

Quote from: deport_liberals post_id=505989 time=1688835557 user_id=3305
Quote from: "Erica Mena" post_id=505922 time=1688828592 user_id=2845

You mean they banned you for no reason? You didn't mention politics?

I just said "man is a political animal" but I suspect bf banned based on certain conversations we were having in PM system.  Apparently he reads those too.

Some people here say that did not happen. I do not know.

Biggie Smiles

Quote from: "Erica Mena" post_id=505984 time=1688835290 user_id=2845
Quote from: "Biggie Smiles" post_id=505983 time=1688835143 user_id=3214

I'll look into it.

It may require a transition from probb to something like an SMF or the layout BF uses

I was about to do such a transition before Erica decided to keep this site alive ... thankfully, as I was pretty busy with other stuff at the time.

This site is nowhere near as easy as SG was to work with.

I never really learned how to use the panel. Bonesaw did all that stuff for me

seriously.. and it doesn't have as many features from what I can tell

Adolf Oliver Bush

Quote from: DKG post_id=505925 time=1688829688 user_id=3390
Quote from: "Adolf Oliver Bush" post_id=505891 time=1688801651 user_id=3409

Which is fair enough, though you have to know that hacks for reading PMs have existed as downloadable resources for many years, openly hosted in many cases. SMF was the only board software that wouldn't host hacks of that description, but even their devs admitted it was more than possible someone might commission the efforts of a competent scripter to create such hacks on an ad hoc basis.

Personally I don't care either way. A good many of the boards I've posted at had admins who weren't above installing the "Read PM" hack, along with "Post As User" hack, "Edit Timestamp" hack and a ton more besides. If a board was slow to update its software to the latest version (Brawl Hall was always a release or two behind the latest version) I'd interpret that as an indicator that various hacks had been installed that newer software would break the functionality of. In any event, you don't even strictly need a hack as most software stores such messages unencrypted as I understand it, meaning you can literally read  PMs in plain text from the backup. That might have changed in recent times; regardless, you can trust an admin all you like to adhere to the social mores of not poking about your inbox, but at the end of the day all that communication is something you have entrusted to someone else to do the right thing by. You really have no cause for complaint if that trust was misplaced.

Simple solution? Do NOT use the PM system, rather use an off-site messaging system hosted by a third party concern. It's still open for abuse of course, the person you are sending the PMs to can leak them, but you will at least be exempt from your message board admin poking about data which (for what it's worth) is effectively HIS property since he's paying the hosting charges.

Just a little perspective for you by friend.

There is no excuse for an admin reading pm's. I would never login to any forum again if an admin did that to any poster once.

Sure there is, beginning with "because they can". I don't recall ever reading a guarantee to the contrary in the terms of service of any of the boards I've registered at, and that includes this one. And to be clear, in an age where successive governments have made it their business to go pawing about people's private communiques while assuring us they aren't (can anyone say "O'Bummer"?) the prospect of some random admin going yee-har with my "precious and private LOLcatz collections" (or whatever I might choose to use the PM system for) is not something I'm prepared to get worked up over.

At least two of the boards I've posted at (Brawl Hall and Digital Strife) had hacks installed for the purpose of board owners being able to read users PMs. I know, because I was able to physically see the hacks list of both at different times. It didn't bother me in the slightest, not even when BH got all high and mighty about DS employing the hack in the hopes of getting users to boycott DS, because I wasn't fool enough to expect that everyone everywhere was going to adhere to some unwritten law regarding it, nor openly admit when they weren't.

And it's that last bit which is the reason why I treat the PM function as a worthless anachronism. Anything I commit to a database I do not control is something that is controlled by someone else. Regardless of any assurances you or anyone else are prepared to offer me, if I do not exercise exclusive and inviolate control over the data, I must reasonably expect that someone else can and perhaps will use for whatever purpose suits them.

Hell, if you chose to, I couldn't stop you from reactivating my PM function here, though I imagine even if you were inclined to, you would also recognise the futility of it. Regardless of how you or anyone else feel that functionality ought to be treated, if I'm not using it then there is no scope for it being used or abused at my expense, is there?
Her fucking fupa looked like a pair of ass cheeks... like someone naked ran into her head first and got stuck. She was like "come eat me out" and I was like "nah I think I'll go snort some anthrax and light myself on fire instead"

- Biggie Smiles

caskur

If people read PM I would think they have no life... omg, that is very, very lame.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Erica Mena

Quote from: caskur post_id=505997 time=1688837400 user_id=2156
If people read PM I would think they have no life... omg, that is very, very lame.

Right? I don't even think they did that shit at TDT
<t></t>

deport_liberals

If any of you guys wanna fukk around over there my other account is still working apparently.

deport_liberals

400lbsofanger

Biggie Smiles

Quote from: deport_liberals post_id=506000 time=1688838006 user_id=3305
If any of you guys wanna fukk around over there my other account is still working apparently.

deport_liberals

400lbsofanger

Baglady factory licks the windows here constantly

So expect your acct to be deactivated

They have lots and lots of lurkers tho. Lmao

deport_liberals

I am sort of torn between trolling him or trolling tPoTF...

Biggie Smiles

Quote from: deport_liberals post_id=506002 time=1688838216 user_id=3305

Same net outcome

deport_liberals

Lmmfbo...dumb fuck sent an email asking if I "have a problem with the site"...even farmer never did shit like this....

Biggie Smiles

Reggie_Essent

Hey Deport.  Good to see you.

formosan

Quote from: Reggie_Essent post_id=506006 time=1688840301 user_id=3378

Hey Deport.  Good to see you.

Yes, it is Reggie....it's good to see both of you.

ac_smile
too old to be a fashionista