News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 7558
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 02:57:00 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by reaps the honest

I just paid $5000 US for a rare coin....

Started by JOE, November 03, 2023, 08:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE

Quote from: TheProwler on November 04, 2023, 02:42:18 PMI have at least 4 of those coins in my collection.

It is risky holding onto them as an investment.  The melt value is only about $200.

Really? of that date Prowler? 1880

In which case you would own 2% of known specimens in the entire world. Less than 200 graded by PGCS and NGC. Maybe the other grading houses have some? 25-50 copies? like ICCS and ANACS.

NGC stats/census:

https://www.ngccoin.com/census/world/canada-maritime-provinces/sc-66/2/?c=53074&des=MS&grade=61&from=ngcresearch

PGCS stats/census:

https://www.pcgs.com/pop/detail/victoria-1865-1888/4542?sn=33284&p=MS&g=61&ccid=4542

So like I said before, only about 250-300 survive to this day since there are copies not yet slabbed or officially graded. Total mintage: 2500 making it the rarest of all $2 Gold coins from that period

There's probably just 50 in Mint State (MS 60 or higher) in the entire world. But probably more like 40 in that condition.

TheProwler

Quote from: JOE on November 04, 2023, 02:48:59 PMReally? of that date Prowler? 1880

In which case you would own 2% of known specimens in the entire world. Less than 200 graded by PGCS and NGC. Maybe the other grading houses have some? 25-50 copies? like ICCS and ANACS.

NGC stats/census:

https://www.ngccoin.com/census/world/canada-maritime-provinces/sc-66/2/?c=53074&des=MS&grade=61&from=ngcresearch

PGCS stats/census:

https://www.pcgs.com/pop/detail/victoria-1865-1888/4542?sn=33284&p=MS&g=61&ccid=4542

So like I said before, only about 250-300 survive to this day since there are copies not yet slabbed or officially graded. Total mintage: 2500 making it the rarest of all $2 Gold coins from that period

There's probably just 50 in Mint State (MS 60 or higher) in the entire world. But probably more like 40 in that condition.

There were 2500 minted, Joe.

There may be over 2000 in mint condition in private collections that nobody knows about.

That is the risk with these rare coins.  They might not be as rare as you think.

With a melt value of only $200, you have taken a big risk.

I would sell at least a few of mine if I was in the same poor financial position as you.

JOE

Quote from: TheProwler on November 04, 2023, 02:44:11 PMHow many times have you stuck your dick in that?

But people buy that stuff Prowler and pay good mone for it.

Go look up Tiffany on eBay:

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2332490.m570.l1313&_nkw=jack+in+a+pulpit+tiffany&_sacat=0

People go goo goo gah gah over the stuff.

I'm not terribly crazy about it.

anyways, I never bought it

It comes from the Art Nouveau period, so I guess that's why its so popular. If I was gonna buy art from that period, it'd be a Mucha:

...that's what I call 'Real Art'

JOE

Quote from: TheProwler on November 04, 2023, 02:58:35 PMThere were 2500 minted, Joe.

There may be over 2000 in mint condition in private collections that nobody knows about.

That is the risk with these rare coins.  They might not be as rare as you think.

With a melt value of only $200, you have taken a big risk.

I would sell at least a few of mine if I was in the same poor financial position as you.

But you forget, it was used a circulation coin, Prowler.

That's not something that came in a case like a specimen set.

People used to buy things with them.

And typically, they were fishermen who threw them in their pockets.

Besides being thrashed around, A good number of them may have got lost. Possibly at sea when the Newfie fishermen were working jangling those things in their pockets.

This is the typical condition of many of them:

all marked up, chewed up. Most of them were damaged in some way.

If people stored them in perfect condition like you say, then it would have been an extreme luxury back then, a privilege for the very rich to put them away in their drawers.

as you're probably aware, most people back then were just trying to survive, esp in a place like Newfoundland with unemployment at 30% or more.

TheProwler

Quote from: JOE on November 04, 2023, 03:01:43 PMBut people buy that stuff Prowler and pay good mone for it.

Go look up Tiffany on eBay:

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2332490.m570.l1313&_nkw=jack+in+a+pulpit+tiffany&_sacat=0

People go goo goo gah gah over the stuff.

I'm not terribly crazy about it.

anyways, I never bought it

It comes from the Art Nouveau period, so I guess that's why its so popular. If I was gonna buy art from that period, it'd be a Mucha:

...that's what I call 'Real Art'

Just stop fucking the vase, Joe.

JOE

Anyways Prowler, this was my Grandfather's weekly wage back in 1916:

$10. And back then it was made of or disbursed in Gold.

...in which he worked 12 hours a day 6 days a week with Sunday to go to Church. That was a real fucking work culture where only the fittest survived.

TheProwler

Quote from: JOE on November 04, 2023, 03:08:43 PMBut you forget, it was used a circulation coin, Prowler.

That's not something that came in a case like a specimen set.

People used to buy things with them.

And typically, they were fishermen who threw them in their pockets.

Besides being thrashed around, A good number of them may have got lost. Possibly at sea when the Newfie fishermen were working jangling those things in their pockets.

This is the typical condition of many of them:

all marked up, chewed up. Most of them were damaged in some way.

If people stored them in perfect condition like you say, then it would have been an extremely luxury back then, a privilege for the very rich to put them away in their drawers.

as you're probably aware, most people back then were just trying to survive, esp in a place like Newfoundland with unemployment at 30% or more.

I found two more.

I have at least six.

JOE

Quote from: TheProwler on November 04, 2023, 03:09:38 PMJust stop fucking the vase, Joe.

The fact you thought about it, tells us where yer mind is at Prowler.

As late friend from Hamilton or 'the Hammer' in yer parts once said,

"Get yer Mind outta the gutter...Mister!"

JOE

Quote from: TheProwler on November 04, 2023, 03:14:07 PMI found two more.

I have at least six.

Well post photos of them then!

and I'll post some photos of my modest collection.

if ya really do have them like you say, you could get yerself a tidy sum Prowler.

TheProwler

Quote from: JOE on November 04, 2023, 03:15:35 PM"Get yer Mind outta the gutter...Mister!"

Get your dick out of the vase, Virgin!
Funny As Fuck! Funny As Fuck! x 1 View List

TheProwler

Quote from: JOE on November 04, 2023, 03:17:17 PMWell post photos of them then!

and I'll post some photos of my modest collection.

if ya really do have them like you say, you could get yerself a tidy sum Prowler.

I am in no rush to sell my coins.  It might be the smart thing to do financially, but I am not motivated to spend the time on that right now.

JOE

Quote from: TheProwler on November 04, 2023, 03:36:24 PMI am in no rush to sell my coins.  It might be the smart thing to do financially, but I am not motivated to spend the time on that right now.

Since you asked Prowler, here are some glimpses of my small coin collection:

The Candy Box I keep 'em in:

JOE

JOE

The coins on a table. There's about 20 of them here all in Mint State or Higher:

JOE

Currently the most valuable coin in my collection, the 1913 Canada Gold Sovereign (Mintage < 3200):

est value = $3500-4000 USD

But after the Newfie $2 Gold arrives, it'll be the 2nd most valuable I own.

But the Gold Sovereign might actually be rarer even tho its mintage was higher.