Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

I wanna play with Mercury!

Started by Asian Pride, November 25, 2014, 04:07:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asian Pride

Either way...  Gotta get my hands on some before the Government decides Mercury is unsafe for citizens to play with.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Asian Pride"So I ordered some (aka Quicksilver)...

I'll let you know how it goes with delivery, but know that Hg isn't cheap!  (It's heavier than lead, and is generally restricted to ground transport, meaning Mercury isn't allowed on a plane)...

What are you planning on doing with mercury Asian Pride?

ac_umm

reel

My brother is in mining and attended a public consultation about a new mine where a bunch of local environmentalists were screaming that if the mine was opened, the local waterways would be polluted with mercury and people would wind up drinking the stuff.

The representative of the mining company said "So what?  Ingesting mercury is totally harmless.  People use mercury as a laxative."  And then to prove his point, he whipped out a vial of mercury and downed it.  It was a cheap gimmick that rather skirts the truth, but the environmentalists were stunned into silence.  I think the reaction was similar to if he had chopped off his own arm and started waving it at them.  Most probably expected to see him start choking and keel over dead, but he was right.  It's not something you'd want to do every day, but it doesn't do any harm if only swallowed occasionally.

Anonymous

Quote from: "reel"My brother is in mining and attended a public consultation about a new mine where a bunch of local environmentalists were screaming that if the mine was opened, the local waterways would be polluted with mercury and people would wind up drinking the stuff.

The representative of the mining company said "So what?  Ingesting mercury is totally harmless.  People use mercury as a laxative."  And then to prove his point, he whipped out a vial of mercury and downed it.  It was a cheap gimmick that rather skirts the truth, but the environmentalists were stunned into silence.  I think the reaction was similar to if he had chopped off his own arm and started waving it at them.  Most probably expected to see him start choking and keel over dead, but he was right.  It's not something you'd want to do every day, but it doesn't do any harm if only swallowed occasionally.

I don't know about you, but I'm trying to cut back on my mercury consumption. I know it adds flavour to tea, but too much of a good thing can be bad. ac_dance

Frost

Get you some Gallium, it's a bit safer, and when not playing with it it turns solid.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blue"Get you some Gallium, it's a bit safer, and when not playing with it it turns solid.

I wonder what Mel would do if we stopped responding to his whiney BS?

Frost

Ummm, most just wine louder.

I like putting my two cents in, someone might not mind my ramblings. :)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blue"Ummm, most just wine louder.

I like putting my two cents in, someone might not mind my ramblings. :)

You are not rambling and I trend to agree. He prolly would just cry louder. Sickening attention whore. acc_angry

Asian Pride

Quote from: "Blue"Get you some Gallium, it's a bit safer, and when not playing with it it turns solid.

Gallium has to be heated up to turn 'liquid.'  It is no Mercury...

Mercury is the only metal that is 'liquid' at room temp.

Mercury is a very interesting element.

I like it.

Asian Pride

I'll have to buy a baby syringe or something to suck it back up so I can pour it back into the bottle...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Asian Pride"I'll have to buy a baby syringe or something to suck it back up so I can pour it back into the bottle...

ac_huh

Anonymous

Quote from: "Asian Pride"I'll have to buy a baby syringe or something to suck it back up so I can pour it back into the bottle...

You are boring Mel. ac_boring

reel

Quote from: "Asian Pride"

Gallium has to be heated up to turn 'liquid.'  It is no Mercury...

Mercury is the only metal that is 'liquid' at room temp.

Mercury is a very interesting element.

I like it.

Actually, Blue is right.  There are several Gallium alloys that are liquid at room temperature.

Asian Pride

Too late.  My Mercury is already in Boise...

http://i60.tinypic.com/vf9sg2.png">

Anonymous

Quote from: "Asian Pride"Too late.  My Mercury is already in Boise...

http://i60.tinypic.com/vf9sg2.png">

Why do you need mercury Asian Pride?