News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10401
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:19:55 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Religious Fundamentalism Mental Illness??

Started by Anonymous, January 08, 2015, 01:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renee

Many years ago I went to school with a Russian college student who told me that homosexuality was forbidden in "Soviet Union". He said they used to jail anyone caught openly practicing a homosexual lifestyle. He also claimed that because of this policy of imprisoning gays, homosexuality didn't exist in in Russia and that it was only a morally corrupt western social phenomenon.

I being a smart ass college kid in turn asked why all the jails in "Soviet Union" were so "butt fucking" full.  ac_razz
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"Many years ago I went to school with a Russian college student who told me that homosexuality was forbidden in "Soviet Union". He said they used to jail anyone caught openly practicing a homosexual lifestyle. He also claimed that because of this policy of imprisoning gays, homosexuality didn't exist in in Russia and that it was only a morally corrupt western social phenomenon.

I being a smart ass college kid in turn asked why all the jails in "Soviet Union" were so "butt fucking" full.  ac_razz

Good one and I think your question applies to places like Iran and even Jamaica if you can believe it.

Renee

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Renee"Many years ago I went to school with a Russian college student who told me that homosexuality was forbidden in "Soviet Union". He said they used to jail anyone caught openly practicing a homosexual lifestyle. He also claimed that because of this policy of imprisoning gays, homosexuality didn't exist in in Russia and that it was only a morally corrupt western social phenomenon.

Good one and I think your question applies to places like Iran and even Jamaica if you can believe it.

I've been to Jamaica; the place sucks hard. Worst vacation ever.

Nice place if you like sunlight glinting off of razor wire, stray dogs and smelly Rastafarians with roving hands.

I could go to Newark or Trenton NJ. for that kind shit.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"

Nice place if you like sunlight glinting off of razor wire, stray dogs and smelly Rastafarians with roving hands.

Negril is nice. Where were you?

Renee

Ocho Rios. We stayed as Sandals Grand Riviera. I'm not a big fan of all inclusive resorts like Sandals but it was a good deal and it was at a time when the husband and I Desperately need to get away for some alone time.  ac_biggrin

Don't get me wrong the resort was nice and the beach was pretty but some of the surrounding area was really shitty. I'm used to Aruba and the Yucatan; IMHO it's much nicer

Anonymous

Ocho Rios. We stayed as Sandals Grand Riviera. I'm not a big fan of all inclusive resorts like Sandals but it was a good deal and it was at a time when the husband and I Desperately need to get away for some alone time.  ac_biggrin

Don't get me wrong the resort was nice and the beach was pretty but some of the surrounding area was really shitty. I'm used to Aruba and the Yucatan; IMHO it's much nicer

I haven't been to Aruba or the Yucatan, but I preferred Jamaica to Cuba. Food was awful and outside the resort garbage everywhere. I have a feeling all that will change now that Americans will soon be able to overrun the island.

@realAzhyaAryola

Hello, fellow bitches! Woohoo! ac_dance  ac_hithere  :howdy:  ac_king  ac_drinks  ac_cooper  acc_bath

I went to Kingston on mission. I was planning to go to Montego Bay right after but our mission got extended so I missed the opportunity to go to Montego Bay.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"Hello, fellow bitches! Woohoo! ac_dance  ac_hithere  :howdy:  ac_king  ac_drinks  ac_cooper  acc_bath

I went to Kingston on mission. I was planning to go to Montego Bay right after but our mission got extended so I missed the opportunity to go to Montego Bay.

You were a missionary Azhya?

That must been an incredible experience.

Renee

I haven't been to Aruba or the Yucatan, but I preferred Jamaica to Cuba. Food was awful and outside the resort garbage everywhere. I have a feeling all that will change now that Americans will soon be able to overrun the island.

I have absolutely no desire to go to Cuba and I think that sentiment is echoed by a lot of Americans, so once the curiosity wears off, I wouldn't expect to see tons of American there. If I want to go to Cuba, I'll stay in Miami.

Politics aside, we have more than enough mediocre to shitty Caribbean islands to visit, we really don't need another one. With a few exceptions, once you've seen one, you've seen them all.

Anonymous

I have absolutely no desire to go to Cuba and I think that sentiment is echoed by a lot of Americans, so once the curiosity wears off, I wouldn't expect to see tons of American there. If I want to go to Cuba, I'll stay in Miami.

Politics aside, we have more than enough mediocre to shitty Caribbean islands to visit, we really don't need another one. With a few exceptions, once you've seen one, you've seen them all.

I beg to differ Renee. Cuba is very different from Jamaica which is very different from the DR which is very different from the Bahamas.

Renee

I beg to differ Renee. Cuba is very different from Jamaica which is very different from the DR which is very different from the Bahamas.

In what way? They are all somewhat similar culturally, they are all tourist traps and the natives hate everything about you except your money.  ac_toofunny

Anonymous

In what way? They are all somewhat similar culturally, they are all tourist traps and the natives hate everything about you except your money.  ac_toofunny

Geographically, Cuba was very different from Jamaica as well as linguistically. Food and music different too.

Renee

Geographically, Cuba was very different from Jamaica as well as linguistically. Food and music different too.

Granted Jamaica does have a somewhat unique cuisine in terms of the spices used but in the end they all live on various recipes made up of mostly rice and plantains.  ac_toofunny.

linguistically many of the islands are somewhat different from each other but does that really make them different? The accent and linguistics are determined by what European power once controlled them. Cuba like central and south America is one of the exceptions because they kept a strong Spanish influence in their language. They have also been some-what culturally/politically and economically isolated for over 50 years from a lot of the western hemisphere.  

BTW, of course they differ geographically. No two countries can occupy the same spot on the globe.  ac_toofunny

I think you mean the terrain or topography is different. Jamaica is mountainous while Cuba is.......Oh I don't know......landfill?  ac_lmfao

Anonymous

Granted Jamaica does have a somewhat unique cuisine in terms of the spices used but in the end they all live on various recipes made up of mostly rice and plantains.  ac_toofunny.

linguistically many of the islands are somewhat different from each other but does that really make them different? The accent and linguistics are determined by what European power once controlled them. Cuba like central and south America is one of the exceptions because they kept a strong Spanish influence in their language. They have also been some-what culturally/politically and economically isolated for over 50 years from a lot of the western hemisphere.  

BTW, of course they differ geographically. No two countries can occupy the same spot on the globe.  ac_toofunny

I think you mean the terrain or topography is different. Jamaica is mountainous while Cuba is.......Oh I don't know......landfill?  ac_lmfao

Yep and Bahamas is different from both of them. I felt Jamaica and Cuba were different and each unique. The effects of communism have left a very pronounced mark on the people and their culture. People were very friendly, but the food was really bad.

Anonymous

My husband has done work in Cuba with his company..

He said the basic infrastructure was terrible.