The best topic

Replies: 10393
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:41:25 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Vancouver Most 'Asian' City Outside Asia

Started by Romero, March 30, 2015, 04:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Romero

QuoteForty-three per cent of Metro Vancouver residents have an Asian heritage, which is a much higher proportion than any other major city outside the continent of Asia.

Based on Statistics Canada reports, the number of those with Asian roots in Metro Vancouver will continue to grow at a faster rate than the non-Asian population.

Around the globe, the only major cities {with more than one million population} outside Asia that come close to Metro Vancouver for their portion of residents with Asian backgrounds are San Francisco (33 per cent Asian), London, England (21 per cent), Metro Toronto (35 per cent), Calgary (23 per cent) and Sydney, Australia (19 per cent).

Observers from Asian and non-Asian backgrounds predict that as a result of Metro Vancouver's unique demographics, residents should expect more changes; adjustments that will create opportunities and richness, as well as tension and difficulties.

These cultural analysts foresee an accelerating rise of Asian-oriented restaurants, retail outlets, artistic events, religions, community service organizations, schools, neighbourhood enclaves, family-reunification programs, signage, international business partnerships, corporate customs and Asian-language newspapers and TV stations.

Meanwhile, 19 per cent of new immigrants in the city have European ethnic heritage, while small portions have roots in Latin America or Africa.

What does this rising influence of people with Asian backgrounds — speaking a variety of languages and following many different national customs — mean for Metro?

Farid Rohani, who leads the Vancouver-based Laurier Institute, an organization devoted to exploring the pros and cons of multiculturalism, believes there should be economic benefits to high immigration from Asia, and he hopes the city will become more dynamic as it also adopts a "pan-Asian culture."

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2014/03/28/vancouver-is-most-asian-city-outside-asia-what-are-the-ramifications/">//http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2014/03/28/vancouver-is-most-asian-city-outside-asia-what-are-the-ramifications/

There have been some difficulties, as there has always been with any immigrants from anywhere, but I believe it's been very good for Metro Van overall. Plenty of prosperity, business, diversity and culture. Exactly what I personally grew up with and I'm liking it more and more all the time.

Whether us, our parents or our ancestors, we all came here for the same reasons and opportunities. Vancouver is truly a city of the New World.

Anonymous

I'll try to stay positive...  I'd rather have Asians here than Negroes!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"
QuoteForty-three per cent of Metro Vancouver residents have an Asian heritage, which is a much higher proportion than any other major city outside the continent of Asia.

Based on Statistics Canada reports, the number of those with Asian roots in Metro Vancouver will continue to grow at a faster rate than the non-Asian population.

Around the globe, the only major cities {with more than one million population} outside Asia that come close to Metro Vancouver for their portion of residents with Asian backgrounds are San Francisco (33 per cent Asian), London, England (21 per cent), Metro Toronto (35 per cent), Calgary (23 per cent) and Sydney, Australia (19 per cent).

Observers from Asian and non-Asian backgrounds predict that as a result of Metro Vancouver's unique demographics, residents should expect more changes; adjustments that will create opportunities and richness, as well as tension and difficulties.

These cultural analysts foresee an accelerating rise of Asian-oriented restaurants, retail outlets, artistic events, religions, community service organizations, schools, neighbourhood enclaves, family-reunification programs, signage, international business partnerships, corporate customs and Asian-language newspapers and TV stations.

Meanwhile, 19 per cent of new immigrants in the city have European ethnic heritage, while small portions have roots in Latin America or Africa.

What does this rising influence of people with Asian backgrounds — speaking a variety of languages and following many different national customs — mean for Metro?

Farid Rohani, who leads the Vancouver-based Laurier Institute, an organization devoted to exploring the pros and cons of multiculturalism, believes there should be economic benefits to high immigration from Asia, and he hopes the city will become more dynamic as it also adopts a "pan-Asian culture."

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2014/03/28/vancouver-is-most-asian-city-outside-asia-what-are-the-ramifications/">//http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2014/03/28/vancouver-is-most-asian-city-outside-asia-what-are-the-ramifications/

There have been some difficulties, as there has always been with any immigrants from anywhere, but I believe it's been very good for Metro Van overall. Plenty of prosperity, business, diversity and culture. Exactly what I personally grew up with and I'm liking it more and more all the time.

Whether us, our parents or our ancestors, we all came here for the same reasons and opportunities. Vancouver is truly a city of the New World.

This is does not surprise me.

@realAzhyaAryola

@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"I see. Where I am is also very diverse.

I'll bet!!

Wambo Rong

Spend it wisely obviously went over you and your Albertan head

Wambo Rong

want to talk about Gateway? Not much to talk about, we killed that

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wambo Rong"want to talk about Gateway? Not much to talk about, we killed that

No, it starts next year. Our oil is going to Asia you Pansy. Suck it up, or fuck off to your corporate paymasters in Riyadh.

Wambo Rong

We killed Gateway. What's up now, Northern Spirit? We'll kill that too.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wambo Rong"We killed Gateway. What's up now, Northern Spirit? We'll kill that too.

It's approved it's alive. Our oil is the best oil in the world, but we need world prices. If you had any loyalty to Canada, you'd agree. Unfortunately, you sold ur soul to homo OPEC long ago.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Wambo Rong"We killed Gateway. What's up now, Northern Spirit? We'll kill that too.

It's approved it's alive. Our oil is the best oil in the world, but we need world prices. If you had any loyalty to Canada, you'd agree. Unfortunately, you sold ur soul to homo OPEC long ago.

I don't know what you and Wambo Rong are talking about, but it has nothing to do with Romero's original post does it?

Give it a rest, both of you.

Wambo Rong

You will not get oil tankers on our coast. Live with it.

Renee

Hey chuggy, wouldn't you rather kill a bottle of Canadian Club? Nice thread derail, asshole.

Happy Easter, Oscar. ac_toofunny
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Wambo Rong

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wambo Rong"You will not get oil tankers on our coast. Live with it.

You Saudis don't own Canada's coast yet. However, with traitors like you it may yet happen.