Replies: 10388
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:30:51 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Aryan

"When a Man Loves a Woman," Soul singer Sledge dies

Started by cc, April 14, 2015, 01:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

Percy Sledge, the man who brought soul mainstream in 66 with his never again to be matched original vesrion died early Tuesday

"When a Man Loves a Woman," the ORIGINAL Audio Version

Try not to feel it and get shivers - I challenge

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq2P8pTrDvw

A No. 1 hit in 1966, "When a Man Loves a Woman" was Sledge's debut single, an almost unbearably heartfelt ballad with a resonance he never approached again. Few singers could have. Its mood set by a mournful organ and dirge-like tempo, "When a Man Loves a Woman" was for many the definitive soul ballad, a testament of blinding, all-consuming love haunted by fear and graced by overwhelming emotion.

"When a Man Loves a Woman" was a personal triumph for Sledge, who seemed on the verge of sobbing throughout the production, and a breakthrough for Southern soul. It was the first No. 1 hit from Alabama's burgeoning Muscle Shoals music scene, where Aretha Franklin and the Rolling Stones among others would record, and the first gold record for Atlantic Records.
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Renee

\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

RW

Challenge failed - I got shivers.

What a touching song.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RDL

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc li tarte"Percy Sledge, the man who brought soul mainstream in 66 with his never again to be matched original vesrion died early Tuesday

"When a Man Loves a Woman," the ORIGINAL Audio Version

Try not to feel it and get shivers - I challenge

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq2P8pTrDvw

A No. 1 hit in 1966, "When a Man Loves a Woman" was Sledge's debut single, an almost unbearably heartfelt ballad with a resonance he never approached again. Few singers could have. Its mood set by a mournful organ and dirge-like tempo, "When a Man Loves a Woman" was for many the definitive soul ballad, a testament of blinding, all-consuming love haunted by fear and graced by overwhelming emotion.

"When a Man Loves a Woman" was a personal triumph for Sledge, who seemed on the verge of sobbing throughout the production, and a breakthrough for Southern soul. It was the first No. 1 hit from Alabama's burgeoning Muscle Shoals music scene, where Aretha Franklin and the Rolling Stones among others would record, and the first gold record for Atlantic Records.
Everybody outside the muslim world knows that song, but I did NOT know the artist until he passes away.

RIP!!

cc

It has always been in vogue with a different vocalist about every decade (including current one) - but this guy was the

original" ... and best I might add

Not only did he bring it to us, he made mainstream pay attention to deep south  soul ... helped pave the way for Aretha Franklin to hit the big time a year later and opened it up for many other great "souls"

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc li tarte"It has always been in vogue with a different vocalist about every decade (including current one) - but this guy was the

original" ... and best I might add

Not only did he bring it to us, he made mainstream pay attention to soul ... helped pave the way for Aretha Franklin and many other great "souls"

It is too bad then he is not better known for incredible contribution to music.

cc

True, but once you've heard the original once it's in your "soul" for life

Here's another great - almost as intense - couldn't find a good live version

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc li tarte"True, but once you've heard the original once it's in your "soul" for life

Here's another great - almost as intense - couldn't find a good live version

I like it!!

cc

Here's another that was brought back by others every decade - Bet you've heard it by another

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJqM1U5ZcO8

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc li tarte"Here's another that was brought back by others every decade - Bet you've heard it by another

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJqM1U5ZcO8
Yep

cc

Here's an album  appropriately sub titled "Troubadour Of Hearts"

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKgHWTnxJ1Y

At 30.15 is one of my alltime favorites ... "Sittin at the Dock of the Bay"  .... he's right up there with Otis Redding on it

Gay Boy Roberto

People hate as they love, unreasonably.

- William Makepeace Thackeray

cc

cc can differentiate between in vogue for celeb followers / meaningless celebs  ... and real talent / positive contribution to society

some cannot ...... some don't even know there is a difference

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc li tarte"cc can differentiate between in vogue for celeb followers / meaningless celebs  ... and real talent / positive contribution to society

some can't

The Iron Ch!nk hates celebs period. Overpaid, greedy, self-absorbed creeps that contribute little and don't pay their fair share. Pure fucking scum....but I like their crappy bubblegum for the mind.

Print
User actions