News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10394
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 11:15:05 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Erica Mena

Anyone else get the "Marriott Hotel" scam calls?

Started by Mel Gibson, April 24, 2015, 04:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mel Gibson

Lately I've been wasting more and more of their time.  At first they hung up on me pretty quickly.  Now I have perfected my technique as to waste a few minutes of their time.  This takes practice, since they will hang up on you the second they sense any bullshit...

The next time I may have to alter my technique again.

Mel Gibson

They must have call centers all over the place, since this time the Mexican forwarded me to someone with perfect non-accented English...

cc

They have me on speed dial

a 604 number comes up also - seems these outfits can manipulate the system any way they choose
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Mel Gibson

Mel Gibson

In fact, I got a call once from my own number!  ac_wot

cc

Annie

I got a call on my home number last week. Something about being selected to have a free one night stay or some bs. I guess having an unlisted and on the "do not call" list means nothing these days. Also stupid calls from Shaw the day after I called them for info on cable services. They call with some crap like we have an offer for you for being such a valuable customer.  Nothing is free so I just say no thank you I'm not interested and hang up.
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

cc

I don't think the do not call list is in effect any more - all it became was a list of active #s  for rackets to call

Also, it was ignored by rogues

I told them if they'd throw in a quality male hooker each night I'd consider their offer

easter bunny

I think I remember hearing the word Marriott in a call I got recently. I just hang up on machines though.

easter bunny

Quote from: "cc la femme"I told them if they'd throw in a quality male hooker each night I'd consider their offer
ac_toofunny

Berry Sweet

My mom got one yesterday...it was 604 and the first 3 digits were our local area...the announcement was recorded tho...it was telling her she "won a package"...blah blah...its amazing at this day and age how some people will still fall for some of these scams.

@realAzhyaAryola

They don't get the pleasure of speaking to me.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

kiebers

Like Mel there are times I truly enjoy taking up their time and then telling them what I did. Then I hang up before they can.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Mel Gibson

The "Do Not Call" registry is most certainly still in effect.

One problem...  The registry only applies to calls originating in Canada, to Canadian numbers.  The American do not call registry is the same.

Hence, a call originating from outside of Canada is breaking no rules, since the registry does not apply to them.

However, that is secondary, since the Marriott scam, and its variants, have been alive and well for years.  I did some investigating, and it appears the company originates out of Mexico, but must have 'satellite' call centers.  Hence why I was transferred to a guy that could speak perfect English.  They are also spoofing numbers, which I'm sure is against the law also...

@realAzhyaAryola

Gone are those days when I happily picked up the phone. I like the quiet. I don't like to be bothered. I only pick up for family and even for that I consider the time if it is convenient or not.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]