Replies: 10388
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:30:51 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Aryan

Racism

Started by RW, July 07, 2015, 07:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RW

I am seriously fed up with what people deem to be "racist" these days.  It's time to stand up to the stupidity and stop allowing people to paint anything that is stereotypical, observatory, impressionistic, or just curiousity as racism.

Racism is a belief in the superiority of one race over another and the discriminatory practices contained within belief.  What it isn't is doing an impression of a Chinese person talking.  It's not asking a black women how she manages her hair.  It's not saying East Indian people smell like curry.  It's not a white person dressing up like a black person for Halloween including brown face paint. It's not even saying natives have a problem with alcohol.

This need to paint everything with a racist brush is so counter productive.  It makes me think that we don't have enough exposure to actual racism that people need to go looking for it in anything and everything.  In my opinion, that demeans ACTUAL racism, which is a serious thing.  It isn't this frivolous crap that does nothing but encourage divisiveness.  The "PC racism" bullshit needs to stop because it's hurting, not helping.

/rant
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

What about saying Asians can't drive.

Cue rant from the Iron Chink.

RW

It's offensive sure.  Stereotypical as well.  But is it racist?  I don't agree that it is.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

Of course its not.

I often tell people I am a racist.

When I asked why, I respond by saying something like "Asian's can't drive", or "Aboriginal culture is incompatible with white culture".

It takes a moment for the irony to strike.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"I am seriously fed up with what people deem to be "racist" these days.  It's time to stand up to the stupidity and stop allowing people to paint anything that is stereotypical, observatory, impressionistic, or just curiousity as racism.

Racism is a belief in the superiority of one race over another and the discriminatory practices contained within belief.  What it isn't is doing an impression of a Chinese person talking.  It's not asking a black women how she manages her hair.  It's not saying East Indian people smell like curry.  It's not a white person dressing up like a black person for Halloween including brown face paint. It's not even saying natives have a problem with alcohol.

This need to paint everything with a racist brush is so counter productive.  It makes me think that we don't have enough exposure to actual racism that people need to go looking for it in anything and everything.  In my opinion, that demeans ACTUAL racism, which is a serious thing.  It isn't this frivolous crap that does nothing but encourage divisiveness.  The "PC racism" bullshit needs to stop because it's hurting, not helping.

/rant

I don't like when people assume I cannot speak English.

ac_unsure

Bricktop

That is stereotyping, to be sure.

But its not racism.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SPECTRE"That is stereotyping, to be sure.

But its not racism.

Whatever one chooses to label it, it annoys me.

Bricktop

Of course. And I understand.

What RW is saying though, is that although it is annoying, it is not a crime.

@realAzhyaAryola

Will chime in when time permits. [yawning...sleepy...]
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "SPECTRE"Of course. And I understand.

What RW is saying though, is that although it is annoying, it is not a crime.

Oh I know it is not a criminal act..

It's not illegal to make racial assumptions.

RW

It's not racist either unless that assumption is one of discriminatory superiority.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"It's not racist either unless that assumption is one of discriminatory superiority.

On the old Asian American forums I used to post on they would disagree..

They argued a stereotype is racist period.

Anonymous

Dammit, RW. I was hoping to argue with you on a different topic. But you made totally valid points that I agree and empathize with. Shiet.

Bricktop

Oh, don't worry. She's got PLENTY of views that you can argue with...she LIKES arguing.