The best topic

Replies: 10389
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:36:52 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Racism

Started by RW, July 07, 2015, 07:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

RW

I do not!

Oh wait....

ac_razz
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

Actually, now you start the topic, what exactly is wrong with racism?

Every non-white nationality practices it in some form or another. It seems to me that the racially demeaning conduct of the colonial powers of the 16th century and onwards underpins a sense of white guilt at the way caucasians treated other races in the race for hegemony.

That was wrong, and we've learnt from that. Some damage has been undone, and some can never be undone...like the US social division.

But racism that only distinguishes one from another is not a bad thing. Some races have different belief systems and cultures that other races find repugnant. How is it wrong to reject those belief systems in your own country.

Racism has only become a serious issue because of the folly of global migration; people from poorer countries wanting to live in richer countries, but carry their own traditions and beliefs with them. Those traditions are sometimes incompatible with the country they move to, but they insistit is their right to practice them, because that's what they did in their homeland.

Why, then, did they LEAVE their homeland.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SPECTRE"Actually, now you start the topic, what exactly is wrong with racism?

Every non-white nationality practices it in some form or another. It seems to me that the racially demeaning conduct of the colonial powers of the 16th century and onwards underpins a sense of white guilt at the way caucasians treated other races in the race for hegemony.

That was wrong, and we've learnt from that. Some damage has been undone, and some can never be undone...like the US social division.

But racism that only distinguishes one from another is not a bad thing. Some races have different belief systems and cultures that other races find repugnant. How is it wrong to reject those belief systems in your own country.

Racism has only become a serious issue because of the folly of global migration; people from poorer countries wanting to live in richer countries, but carry their own traditions and beliefs with them. Those traditions are sometimes incompatible with the country they move to, but they insistit is their right to practice them, because that's what they did in their homeland.

Taiwan is a very racist country..

There are hundreds of thousands of migrant workers in Taiwan mostly from South East Asia that are systematically discriminated against..

Taiwan is a rich, educated country, but the racism is primitive.

RW

Quote from: "SPECTRE"Actually, now you start the topic, what exactly is wrong with racism?

You are talking about cultural/social differences, not racial.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"I am seriously fed up with what people deem to be "racist" these days.  It's time to stand up to the stupidity and stop allowing people to paint anything that is stereotypical, observatory, impressionistic, or just curiousity as racism.

Racism is a belief in the superiority of one race over another and the discriminatory practices contained within belief.  What it isn't is doing an impression of a Chinese person talking.  It's not asking a black women how she manages her hair.  It's not saying East Indian people smell like curry.  It's not a white person dressing up like a black person for Halloween including brown face paint. It's not even saying natives have a problem with alcohol.

This need to paint everything with a racist brush is so counter productive.  It makes me think that we don't have enough exposure to actual racism that people need to go looking for it in anything and everything.  In my opinion, that demeans ACTUAL racism, which is a serious thing.  It isn't this frivolous crap that does nothing but encourage divisiveness.  The "PC racism" bullshit needs to stop because it's hurting, not helping.

/rant

It seems like you are telling minorities to just suck it up? If that is what you are saying, I cannot accept it.

RW

Not at all.  I'm saying quit looking for racism where it doesn't exist.  It degrades actual racism and creates further divisiveness.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Not at all.  I'm saying quit looking for racism where it doesn't exist.  It degrades actual racism and creates further divisiveness.

What a person in the majority feels is not racism, a minority person may strongly disagree. Best rule of thumb, is if you think it may cause offense, then don't go there.

RW

I don't accept that seoul.  I agree with you about being offensive but the racism card is being overplayed to the point of becoming meaningless.  Is that what the term "racism" should become?  Meaningless?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Romero

Quote from: "seoulbro"It seems like you are telling minorities to just suck it up? If that is what you are saying, I cannot accept it.

For some white people, if they don't experience racism they assume it doesn't exist. How can racism be a problem when it's never been a problem for them?

You were discriminated against because of the colour of your skin? Somebody yelled a racial slur at you? It's not racist, you're just playing the race card!

RW

That's not what I'm saying Romero.  I'm saying things that aren't racist need to stop being called racist.  Someone yelling a racist slur is racism.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Romero

Quote from: "RW"That's not what I'm saying Romero.  I'm saying things that aren't racist need to stop being called racist.  Someone yelling a racist slur is racism.

"PC racism bullshit".

RW

Yes.  I provided examples.

You are actually one of the worst offenders around here of it to be honest.

Sorry.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Wulf

Most people can't tell the difference between an attack or criticism on a particular culture practice or activity and racism. Romero is a prime example. He wants to attach racism to any disparaging accusation leveled at minorities. That's just what his kind does because people like him use accusations of racism in an attempt to silence their political opposition.

Romero

Quote from: "RW"Yes.  I provided examples.

You are actually one of the worst offenders around here of it to be honest.

Sorry.

I am, am I? That's a laugh. But I thought you were seriously fed up with deeming everything to be racist? Aren't you playing the race card?

Sorry, you don't get to take the experiences that many people encounter and decide whether it's racist or not. You don't encounter these  things, so just because it's not a big deal for you doesn't mean it's not a big deal for everyone else.

Romero

Quote from: "Wulf"Most people can't tell the difference between an attack or criticism on a particular culture practice or activity and racism. Romero is a prime example. He wants to attach racism to any disparaging accusation leveled at minorities. That's just what his kind does because people like him use accusations of racism in an attempt to silence their political opposition.

Go ahead and show us any example of my doing so.