The best topic

Replies: 10393
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:41:25 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

12C and HAIL

Started by Bricktop, July 10, 2015, 08:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

cc

I'm still Oz in my heart. Some of my parent's expressions stuck with me.  

Where are you located, sheila?
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Frood

Sheila isn't really used anymore. The tourists got a hold of it and turned it into a cringe word.

Victoria.
Blahhhhhh...

cc

Aw. I was born in same general area, Wollongong

Yes, sheila is and should be considered derogatory. A stupid male thingy. I was just letting you know that I grew up with Aussie parents who of course informed me of many Aussie things
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Frood

Quote from: "cc la femme"Aw. I was born in same general area, Wollongong

Yes, sheila is and should be considered derogatory. A stupid male thingy. I was just letting you know that I grew up with Aussie parents who of course informed me of many Aussie things

About a 7 hour drive from here.

It's not that it was ever too blokey. After hearing Ozphile foreigners using it in their everyday convos, most of us dropped it like crikey, Ugg boots, Fosters, and anything to do with prawns on the barbecue. I blame the Americans.
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

Quote from: "cc la femme"Where are you located, mate?

Adelaide. 1C here this morning!!!

AAAGGGHHHHHH!!!! :shock:

Anonymous

Quote from: "SPECTRE"Homes here are heated in a variety of ways.

Most only have a single heater in one living room, but others in the more expensive homes have ducted air conditioning and heating.

Some have heated floors, but these are not popular because they are too slow to bring a room up from cold.

Of course, we have our blistering summers to deal with as well. Not so much humidity, as the heat is blown from the Devil's Cauldron by northerly winds that are very, very hot but very, very dry. It makes the heat for more bearable than the tropics.

However, it means we have to contend with 2 seasons that are quite cold, then quite hot...

Do you mean a plug in electric heater SPECTRE?

That is common in Taiwan and parts of China.

Bricktop

Yes, some use them, although they are horribly expensive to operate. Most heaters are gas, some oil.

But modern homes are using ducted air conditioning these days as the units are far more economical to operate than they used to be, and you need aircon for the summer anyway.

RW

Awwww muffin.  Should I crochet you a scarf and matching toque?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

You "muffin"'d me.

You know what that means.

RW

You're going to bake me a dozen?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "SPECTRE"Yes, some use them, although they are horribly expensive to operate. Most heaters are gas, some oil.

But modern homes are using ducted air conditioning these days as the units are far more economical to operate than they used to be, and you need aircon for the summer anyway.

Portable oil heaters?

I never saw one before I think..

Our house is heated with natural gas which is piped in.

Bricktop

Yes, many of our houses have that. Our old house did.

Its good heating.

Anonymous

Spectre and Diana are pussies. Try Saskatoon where I live.

Frood

Blahhhhhh...

RW

Quote from: "Herman"Spectre and Diana are pussies. Try Saskatoon where I live.

Aussie's have nothing on Canadians for cold.
Beware of Gaslighters!