Are You Using/Will You Use Windows 10?

Started by @realAzhyaAryola, August 09, 2015, 06:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Wulf

Quote from: "SPECTRE"
Quote from: "Wulf"
Quote from: "cc la femme"As I said, we produce very expensive and very heavy duty complex software for Civil Engineering firms, US Govt. and large Municipalities. We have never had an engineer even ask "does our software ran on Apple OS"

If or when we do get several who ask, we would of course  begin to take it seriously. Till then  it is moot and we will stay with what is run by the pros from those areas of business

Exactly, these Apple assholes can come talk to me when it can run Autocad or Autodesk MEP OR...... God forbid....Revit and can produce an actual working construction dwg. Until then Apple is nothing more than a geeks electronic coloring book.

There is a reason why Apple operating systems don't get viruses, it's not powerful enough to host one.  :laugh3:

Hey, grunt...

http://www.autodesk.com.au/campaigns/autodesk-autocad-sem-trial?src=OMSE&mktvar002=590511__ENGINE=GoogleANZ__CAMPAIGN=ANZ_G_AutoCAD_B__ADGROUP=AutoCAD_B_Mac_Exact__KEYWORD=autocad++for++mac__MATCHTYPE=Exact__CREATIVE=80711627409&gclid=CI7diOnYnccCFRADvAodFHgGVA">http://www.autodesk.com.au/campaigns/au ... vAodFHgGVA">http://www.autodesk.com.au/campaigns/autodesk-autocad-sem-trial?src=OMSE&mktvar002=590511__ENGINE=GoogleANZ__CAMPAIGN=ANZ_G_AutoCAD_B__ADGROUP=AutoCAD_B_Mac_Exact__KEYWORD=autocad++for++mac__MATCHTYPE=Exact__CREATIVE=80711627409&gclid=CI7diOnYnccCFRADvAodFHgGVA

Says Autocad for Mac... ac_razz

Lol, AutoCad for Apple is like old AutoCad lite for Windows. It sucks. You can't access any of the advanced express tools or the 3D sold modeling and if you are dumb enough to pay thousands for the Cad licencing for Apple, sharing drawings with a Windows based system (which 99.9% of the engineering community uses) doesn't work well. All the information simply doesn't translate well and no one is going to use a product that doesn't interface properly with their clients software. Furthermore AutoCad is slowly being supplanted by Revit which is AutoCad on steroids and Apple will NEVER be able to run that, at least not in the foreseeable future.

So keep your fluffy graphic programs, they are fine for photographers and graphic artists. We engineering types will just have to muddle through with real engineering programs on our Windows based OS.

Truth be told, I could actually see the engineering community go over to Linux long before they consider Apple a truly viable option. :laugh3:

Frood

I'm unlikely to go to Windows 10 until all the bugs and increased number of backdoors are ferreted out. Apparently 10 by default gets open permissions for your entire system and files unless you set it by custom config at setup, which they've obscured in the hope you click standard install.

Bill Gates has always been a piece of shit. I don't trust anything he touches or has his name associated with.
Blahhhhhh...

cc

QuoteBill Gates has always been a piece of shit. I don't trust anything he touches or has his name associated with.
Agreed. And similar for all software producers.

True on the install - it is there but best to check after install - By typing "privacy settings" in search you see  settings to turn off or on

I don't like MS or Gates either, nor do I trust any software including his competitors (or website for that matter) We have what we have. The computing world  is a hard world out there .. everywhere, every aspect of it wants data

Even hardware (printers, thumb drives etc. is now inter-connected, web-enabled  and wants data

J0E

One program I saw at SIGGRAPH could really give AutoDesk a run for its money:

http://www.esri.com/">http://www.esri.com/

...this program could do just about anything REVIT could do, as well as import AutoCAD drawings, plus work on Windows, Mac and Linux.

There's better programs out there than AutoCAD.

AutoCAD and all the other AutoDesk programs seem like dinosaurs compared with the newer programs.

Quote from: "cc la femme"As I said, we produce very expensive and very heavy duty complex software for Civil Engineering firms, US Govt. and large Municipalities. We have never had an engineer even ask "does our software ran on Apple OS"

If or when we do get several who ask, we would of course  begin to take it seriously. Till then  it is moot and we will stay with what is run by the pros from those areas of business

Exactly, these Apple assholes can come talk to me when it can run Autocad or Autodesk MEP OR...... God forbid....Revit and can produce an actual working construction dwg. Until then Apple is nothing more than a geeks electronic coloring book.

There is a reason why Apple operating systems don't get viruses, it's not powerful enough to host one.  :laugh3:

Hey, grunt...

http://www.autodesk.com.au/campaigns/autodesk-autocad-sem-trial?src=OMSE&mktvar002=590511__ENGINE=GoogleANZ__CAMPAIGN=ANZ_G_AutoCAD_B__ADGROUP=AutoCAD_B_Mac_Exact__KEYWORD=autocad++for++mac__MATCHTYPE=Exact__CREATIVE=80711627409&gclid=CI7diOnYnccCFRADvAodFHgGVA">http://www.autodesk.com.au/campaigns/au ... vAodFHgGVA">http://www.autodesk.com.au/campaigns/autodesk-autocad-sem-trial?src=OMSE&mktvar002=590511__ENGINE=GoogleANZ__CAMPAIGN=ANZ_G_AutoCAD_B__ADGROUP=AutoCAD_B_Mac_Exact__KEYWORD=autocad++for++mac__MATCHTYPE=Exact__CREATIVE=80711627409&gclid=CI7diOnYnccCFRADvAodFHgGVA

Says Autocad for Mac... ac_razz

Lol, AutoCad for Apple is like old AutoCad lite for Windows. It sucks. You can't access any of the advanced express tools or the 3D sold modeling and if you are dumb enough to pay thousands for the Cad licencing for Apple, sharing drawings with a Windows based system (which 99.9% of the engineering community uses) doesn't work well. All the information simply doesn't translate well and no one is going to use a product that doesn't interface properly with their clients software. Furthermore AutoCad is slowly being supplanted by Revit which is AutoCad on steroids and Apple will NEVER be able to run that, at least not in the foreseeable future.

So keep your fluffy graphic programs, they are fine for photographers and graphic artists. We engineering types will just have to muddle through with real engineering programs on our Windows based OS.

Truth be told, I could actually see the engineering community go over to Linux long before they consider Apple a truly viable option. :laugh3:

J0E

What's your product line/name/ cc?

Gotta link? Company website?

do you attend any tradeshows?

If so, which ones?

Quote from: "cc la femme"Yup. I guess I'm special to Microsoft - it was waiting for me on the first morning it came out

We had already discussed it with our programmer who had tested beta versions so it was an immediate go. Also, I need it as we have to test our product on all versions

Saved all data externally just in case - was not needed as everything is intact

Install was sweet - smooth as silk. All programs including all the latest version of several different AutoCADs ran like nothing had happened. No re-installs needed.

Have been using it since, I think it came out July 28 or 29?

A few frozen mouse but maybe I need to reinstall Logitech software. It's that fancy mouse with all the toys and always was  touchy at times

All in all it couldn't be better and the softwares on my machine are a real test for any system

cc

Quote from: "Frank"What's your product line/name/ cc? - Can't do that here Joe

Gotta link? Company website? - Can't do that here Joe

do you attend any tradeshows? - yes

If so, which ones? - Civil Engineering shows, US Govt. training shows etc.

Sorry Joe can't do that for several reasons.

For just one glaring example of the type of people one can encounter on the web - we actually have a totally unethical  sleazeball prog here that even tries to use our hiring an islamic immigrant (a good thing I would have thought)  against me to serve his vile  purposes

See Sweden thread for examples

Bricktop

So, what you're really saying is that the program you use is built for Windows, which has nothing to do with its relative capability compared to Apple.

Its a niche, vocation specific application that Apple probably could give zero fucks about, as it goes about selling computers to every other user on the planet.

Not to mention iPhones, iPads, iPods and their Pro series which has no comparison in the Windows world; its several times more powerful than any Windows PC.

RW

It's because they run on Unix and it has a properly developed file system, unlike Windows.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

What SHE said...and for once, she's right.

Apple's adaptation of Unix as its underlying file management system was a masterstroke.

Ask Apple users how many times they've experienced a crash, or had to hard reboot their PC's.

Not only that, Apple drivers are built into the OS, unlike Windows drivers which are add ons and cause conflicts with other drivers. Ask an Apple user if they've ever experienced a driver conflict.

Wulf

So, what you're really saying is that the program you use is built for Windows, which has nothing to do with its relative capability compared to Apple.

Its a niche, vocation specific application that Apple probably could give zero fucks about, as it goes about selling computers to every other user on the planet.

Not to mention iPhones, iPads, iPods and their Pro series which has no comparison in the Windows world; its several times more powerful than any Windows PC.

:roll: You Apple freaks are so funny. You have about a 7% market share in the computer world and you think you are something special. Tell me exactly how long has Apple been selling their product, 20 years, 25 years? You would think that for a product that's been trying to compete with Microsoft since the very beginning, they would have a bigger market share by now, especially if it is a superior product. :laugh3:

The truth is you have a toy that serves no earthy purpose unless you are interested in glorified Photoshop programs and video games.

As I said, when Apple can run the premier engineering programs that are the current industry standard, then come talk to me. Until then don't let any of us stop you from playing pretend with your Apples. Just do us all a favor and stop crowing about a bunch of nothing.

BTW, I am impressed with the fact that you are so PC literate. Most people your age struggle with anything more electronically sophisticated than an adding machine. ac_hithere

Bricktop

As I said, when Apple can run the premier engineering programs that are the current industry standard, then come talk to me.

You mean like Adobe Creative Suite...the "industry standard" for design and publishing world wide?

You are again talking about an application, NOT an operating system.

Oh, and Apple never competed with Windows. It targets a professional and enlightened market, not a PC for the great unwashed.

Wulf

As I said, when Apple can run the premier engineering programs that are the current industry standard, then come talk to me.

You mean like Adobe Creative Suite...the "industry standard" for design and publishing world wide?

You are again talking about an application, NOT an operating system.

Oh, and Apple never competed with Windows. It targets a professional and enlightened market, not a PC for the great unwashed.

The application I'm discussing goes hand in hand with operating system. And I call Bullshit on that statement regarding the "great unwashed". Don't try to pass Apple off as some elite product. You look like a fool doing so.

You and I both know that before Apple came out with the I-Pod they were all but dead. The I-Pod and the subsequent TOYS that followed it were specifically designed for a market catering to the "great unwashed" and as a result their PC line followed suit when it was discovered that they were good for running graphics programs. You can thank art schools and their like for giving the Apple PC a new lease on life. Enlightened or decerning PC users have had not one fucking thing to do with it. That was something you pulled completely out of your old ass.

Good try at creating some good Apple propaganda though. Although I'm not sure they would agree with alienating a rather large segment of the market that makes good business sense to get in on. ac_biggrin

Bricktop

So, an iPod is a toy? And iPhones? iPads? Biggest sellers in their marketplace.

Windows based PC's are dinosaurs, as are their users...yes, I AM looking at you.

For the new age, modern, hip, cool and progressive, Apple is the way.

How many Microsoft stores have you seen?

cc

Some people play with toys. Others, real working people like real Engineers use PCs & very large screens .. like 22" - 30+"

Something you may not know. A drawing on one of those toys is useless. Only a big screen allows them to get their real work done, hence for that reason and for raw heavy duty calculation power a high powered desktop is all they use.

Being an offical "AutoCAD Developer", for the hell of it today we checked with  the head office of AutoDesk, the producer of AutoCAD, and they produce a "limited features" version of Plain Jane AutoCAD for mac. Know that even with full features, no one other than a student would use  Plain Jane AutoCAD .

I decided to really check "real working companies" out just for the hell of it today.

Real workers, those who actually design road, sewers, buildings, bridges etc.  ... real things that make a society run  .. not teenyboppers talking to their friends and passing images of their titties ....  use processor and OS  intensive "Civil, Mechanical, Map, Architectural etc" (all of which I have installed separately on my own workhorse machine) ... programs 4 - 6 X the size of  Plain Jane for mac that require real computer calculation power. Sometimes I run 3 or 4 of them at the same time to compare results.

I decided to check out more "real working companies  just for the hell of it today. They were not  "hip, cool" teenyboppers, they were real work firms.  Was just at the docs, so asked their systems person what they run. It was 7 on all 35 machines. Called our bank, and guess what their 47 machines run for OS??

I called our company Accounting Firm. Guess what they run on their 17 machines?

I stopped there - started to feel I was beating a dead horse, eh?

Toys are for boys (and girlies) to play with. Work machines are for men (and of course women) .. for real working people working for real companies that make the real world go round.