The best topic

Replies: 7553
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 11:58:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Are You Using/Will You Use Windows 10?

Started by @realAzhyaAryola, August 09, 2015, 06:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

@realAzhyaAryola

Quote from: "SPECTRE"Apple supports multiple monitors. Just so ya know.

This is the type of Mac I was working with at work until a couple of months ago. I chose this type of wireless mouse. I did not like the flat mouse. Aw, I miss my Mac. It's lonely in a dark closet.

http://static.vlogsfera.it/tecnovlog.it/img/video/24361/appleclienticomputerdellaimassimosoddisfazionetra.png">

I did not want to use this flat magic mouse because I could not get comfortable with it.

http://www.creativecrash.com/system/photos/000/212/598/212598/big/AppleMouseTrackpad_th005.jpg?1336379770">
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

@realAzhyaAryola

Quote from: "cc la femme"
Hot damn Asia. 2 x 27"ers
 :thumbup:

Quote from: "cc la femme"So they are running Win on the apples they have so many $ invested in they can't just junk them??
ac_dunno

Ain't that tragic?
Quote from: "cc la femme"
I've been using 2 monitors on an off for over 15 years whenever I need to .... running either different views of the same drawing ... or say Civil in monitor and say Mechanical ... 2 very large programs running very processor intensive tasks on 2 monitors simultaneously from the same PC and OS

Then, it just another day and a mere desktop running mere Win not different than most all other businesses that do "real" work

I have been thinking of getting an apple for playtime as a break from heavy duty real work .... some artsy fartsy work. I'm good at art also, eh? .. and I'm told that they least do that stuff very well

Sounds great, zz! ac_drinks
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

J0E

Windows has not become the platform of choice for AutoCAD developers because that was where all the money was to be made, not because it was better.

Actually, a number of programmers have told me that it's easier to develop graphic applications for the MAC than it is for the PC.

Aside from the differing platforms, there isn't a heck of a lot of difference between today's PC's and Apple hardware/computers.

Just their operating systems.

Both use the Intel chip/architecture. Many of the same name brand cards.

It isn't like the days of Motorolla vs. Intel, the former of which Apple dumped in favor of the latter.

There are a number of decent CAD and 3D programs for the MAC (which run a PC too), such as VectorWorks, ArchiCAD.

Windows does a decent job. Mind you, it took them long enough, and they borrowed (stole?) much of their ideas from Apple's OS.

Other than that, the 2 OS's are pretty similar in function.

There may be some merits to the argument that Microsoft should re-make their OS from the ground up using LINUX as its base.

Windows is a very cumbersome operating system to maintain and to fix.

It's not really a terribly user-friendly OS for the home user.

Quote from: "cc la femme"Some people play with toys. Others, real working people like real Engineers use PCs & very large screens .. like 22" - 30+"

Something you may not know. A drawing on one of those toys is useless. Only a big screen allows them to get their real work done, hence for that reason and for raw heavy duty calculation power a high powered desktop is all they use.

Being an offical "AutoCAD Developer", for the hell of it today we checked with  the head office of AutoDesk, the producer of AutoCAD, and they produce a "limited features" version of Plain Jane AutoCAD for mac. Know that even with full features, no one other than a student would use  Plain Jane AutoCAD .

I decided to really check "real working companies" out just for the hell of it today.

Real workers, those who actually design road, sewers, buildings, bridges etc.  ... real things that make a society run  .. not teenyboppers talking to their friends and passing images of their titties ....  use processor and OS  intensive "Civil, Mechanical, Map, Architectural etc" (all of which I have installed separately on my own workhorse machine) ... programs 4 - 6 X the size of  Plain Jane for mac that require real computer calculation power. Sometimes I run 3 or 4 of them at the same time to compare results.

I decided to check out more "real working companies  just for the hell of it today. They were not  "hip, cool" teenyboppers, they were real work firms.  Was just at the docs, so asked their systems person what they run. It was 7 on all 35 machines. Called our bank, and guess what their 47 machines run for OS??

I called our company Accounting Firm. Guess what they run on their 17 machines?

I stopped there - started to feel I was beating a dead horse, eh?

Toys are for boys (and girlies) to play with. Work machines are for men (and of course women) .. for real working people working for real companies that make the real world go round.

cc

Joey, you don't even use a computer for WORK, so you don't even get to the starting post

All you use one for is to google up  bullshit to post - and try to defy  reality

After all these years of trying and not quite 1 cultist  per 20 actual operators

REALITY July, 2015

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0">https://www.netmarketshare.com/operatin ... pcustomd=0">https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

http://thebluecashew.com/download/file.php?id=349&t=1">
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

J0E

Quote from: "cc la femme"Joey, you don't even use a computer for WORK, so you don't even get to the starting post

All you use one for is to google up  bullshit to post - and try to avoid reality

After all these years not quite 1 cultist  in 20 actual operators

http://thebluecashew.com/download/file.php?id=349&t=1">

A platform or hardware doesn't come into or fall out of favor because it's better.

It become the platform of choice because of perceived cost even if the other is superior.

It isn't quality which determines the acceptance of a technology, it's cost.

The last great Apple computers made were the G5 models.

Unfortunately, they don't make them anymore nor any software for them.

They could've continued making them, but they were considered too expensive

Every place I've worked at used a Windows PC.

Not one ever used a Mac.

cc

Not quite. Close but no cigar for you today

Business is really simple in how the world works in ALL areas

Sales are determined by "value relative to need per dollar"

If you can't deliver in that area, you do not deliver at all .. as the stats for Win and Acad demonstrate

J0E

Quote from: "cc la femme"Yes. Business is really simple in how the world works in ALL areas

Sales are determined by value / dollar

If you can't deliver in that area, you do not deliver at all .. as the stats for Win and Acad demonstrate

AutoCAD was never even the best commercial CAD program out there.

From what I saw, MicroStation was better.

AutoCAD took/stole many of their ideas from them, such as the icon based interface.

...yeah, it's all about the money cc, which business/software developer manages to form the most favorable alliances.

Rarely about quality anymore.

cc

You are a poor listener. You have already been outed for what you are
QuoteJoey, you don't even use a computer for WORK, so you don't even get to the starting post

All you use one for is to google up bullshit to post - and try to avoid reality

But for sure, don't let that deter you from carrying on by yourself

Bricktop

Quote from: "cc la femme"Joey, you don't even use a computer for WORK, so you don't even get to the starting post

Well, I don't use a computer for WORK either. But when we did use computers for WORK we used Apple, and Joe is completely correct.

To the average home user, Windows is a nightmare. Everyone I know with a Windows PC has issues with drivers, file corruption, version compatibility and simply trying to fix issues.

Where IT resources exist with the means and capability to manage a Windows installation, this is less of a drama. But consider the amount of time and money businesses invest in simply keeping Windows sites operational.

This is why many revered XP. It was much less costly to manage.

J0E

Hmmm, it would appear that I've touched a nerve with our incomparable cc!

Oh don't worry, cc. There'll still be a market for your product and for all the other Windows AutoCAD developers.

ACAD and Windows ain't goin' away anytime soon.

Same time, even on the Windows platform, AutoCAD is certainly not the only Kid on the block. There are others such as ProEngineer which are at least as good, if not better. Some other software products which work with AutoCAD are at least as good as the AutoDesk family of products such as ngrain and RHINO.

AutoCAD is a decent program, but it certainly isn't the only one.

It has the Lions share of the market, but its not the best.

Anyways, Windows 7 is a decent Os, no doubt about it.

I'm about to install it on my MAC using bootcamp.

Should I install the 32 bit or 64 bit version, cc?

How much RAM do I need to comfortably run Windows 7?

It only has 6 gB of RAM. I'd add more but this particular laptop takes only 6.

What do u think?

Quote from: "cc la femme"You are a poor listener. You have already been outed for what you are
QuoteJoey, you don't even use a computer for WORK, so you don't even get to the starting post

All you use one for is to google up bullshit to post - and try to avoid reality

But for sure, don't let that deter you from carrying on by yourself

cc

Never has a whisper of trouble. Never heard a complaint from ANY of our "real work" clients, some who just installed it singly, others using OS  from a network.

The chart shows where the value / dollar ... the key to every line of business...  is. So decisive that it leaves nothing but the crying.

The Religion does have a tiny few cult members / believers / sheep  who swallow the pastor's blabber ... Just under 1 in 20 of the population is about right on the cult-vulnerability  scale

I've helped several cult victims get through it. When your ready, you know how to reach me  ac_smile

Vancouver

When  I was taking Game Arts and Design some years ago there were like 160 Windows PCs and maybe 40 Macs.

I have been using Windows 10 and I like it. Everything runs really smooth.
Time is malleable

Anonymous

Quote from: "TheVancouverGuy"When  I was taking Game Arts and Design some years ago there were like 160 Windows PCs and maybe 40 Macs.

I have been using Windows 10 and I like it. Everything runs really smooth.

Hello TheVancouverGuy, it's so nice to see you here again..

ac_hithere

I didn't know you took game arts and design, that's wonderful.

ac_smile

You have convinced me to get Windows 10..

We were planning to do that anyway, but we will do that sooner.

@realAzhyaAryola

It's silly to shoot down Mac or Windows. I've used both so I don't have anything against each one. I don't care as long as you give me something that works and it works fast with as little frustration as possible. I've been pleased with both. The only difference is that I've used Windows longer than the Mac. For the artsy designy stuff, I do think that the Mac is really good for that but it works just as fine also on Windows. Anyway, I like my two 27-inch Dell monitors these days. The image below shows the type of monitors I work with now. Not bad at all, ya? Sweet. At ease.

http://oi57.tinypic.com/2po4jnt.jpg">
@realAzhyaAryola

@realAzhyaAryola

And, thanks to the input of those who mentioned 10. I think I'll explore it too.
@realAzhyaAryola